keeping calories low

Options
hello my concern is with avocado. i love avocados especially on my salads but the calorie count on them is quite high. I was wondering if you guys think I should eat them anyway because they are healthy or should I stay away to keep my calorie count down?

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Why not include it in your daily calorie allowance? If you have lets say 1500 for the day. Weight and eat lets say a 150 calorie peice of avocado if you like it. Easy to do.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Personally I love avocados. They have tons of nutrients, enormous amounts of fiber and with their healthy fats, make me feel like I've really indulged and increase the sensation of fullness. The 50 cal/oz is well spent imo.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Definately don't cut them out of your diet completely. You like them so continue to eat them...but as with any food item that is high in calories it is very important to make sure you keep track of those calories down to the gram. For example lets say the typical whole avocado is 250 calories but some of them could be more so its very important to find out just how much it actually is. If you eat an entire avacado per day take out the pit and scoop it out and weigh it with your kitchen scale so that you know exactly how many grams that particular avocado is. Then if you decide that you are going to donate 250 calories of your daily calorie allotment to avocados then go ahead and eat it. I do the same thing with almonds. One ounce of almonds is 160 calories. So I weigh them out and put them into 1 ounce baggies. That way I can't over eat them. With high dense calorie foods its very important to ration yourself and be very exact about it because being off even a little bit could be a lot of calories.
  • leanns642
    leanns642 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree. Eat avacados! Just keep it within your calorie allotment.
  • Selenesin
    Selenesin Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you everybody , since i started, calories have started to scare me a bit but you guys all make very good points, thank you.