What do you do if you have food restrictions?

Options
And it makes it so hard for me to get full? Can anyone relate?

Replies

• Darton2010
    Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Food restrictions? Everyone has food restrictions, if you plan to lose weight get used to being hungry, the two go hand in hand, it's really tough sometimes. Make yourself a program, cut out totally, foods that you over eat with and just focus on sticking to your program. Keep your mind busy and off food, that helps
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Is your food restrictions chosen or medical? And what are they?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Are we talking allergies or Celiac or PCOS or what here?

If it's self-imposed restrictions, or if you're following a fad diet, I'd toss them out. Eat what you want in order to stay within your deficit.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are we talking allergies or Celiac or PCOS or what here?

If it's self-imposed restrictions, or if you're following a fad diet, I'd toss them out. Eat what you want in order to stay within your deficit.

Lol- it's celiac plus pcos plus some other allergies!
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have celiac. I can get quite full on meat and veggies (other grains tend to upset my IBS, so I also stay away from rice, corn, etc). I am also slightly lactose-intolerant. I'll sometimes eat cheese or put some cream in my coffee if I am really wanting some, but I always pay for it later. And I always manage to be satiated after a meal.

Veggie soup is a great filler.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I feel full on higher protein meals.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    And it makes it so hard for me to get full? Can anyone relate?

I have food restrictions, but cannot relate, because getting full has to do with the calorie density and the volume of food and not a specific type as far as healthy people ar concerned. Even for people with medical restrictions it is usually not difficult to get full, unless they are picky eaters.
    I have food restrictions due to active Lupus and since I had two heart attacks in April this year I now take Coumadin ( Warfarin ) and am now not allowed to eat any leafy green vegetables, because the vitamin K in them keeps the medicine from being absorbed.
    I work around it and now eat salads with tomatoes, cucumbers, all kind of bell peppers, cabbage and other non-leafy vegetables without any problems at all.
    I can't ( or better shouldn't ) eat refined things like anything made from white flour because of the increased systemic inflammation that comes with Lupus ; so I don't and eat corn tortillas, beans, lentils and other legumes/pulses. There are always other options and for someone willing to change they are easy to find. Finding out what can be ingested without problems and getting full is usually not a problem at all.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get creative. What might help is to make up a chart of the foods you can eat. Make a column for each macro. Then you can play around by mixing and matching.

With celiac the challenge is finding wheat flour replacements. I bake for my celiac friend on occasion and I've experimented with teff and tigernut flours as well as home made protein bars using puffed millet.

In your position I would be fighting boredom.