Cameras don't lie

Options
Tismesz
Tismesz Posts: 4 Member
I'm on my 4th day with MFP.
2 weeks ago I spent a weekend on a houseboat with my sibs and in-laws.
I was shocked and mortified when I saw photos of me from the weekend were uploaded so here I am.
5'4" 210lbs ugh.
Pity party in full swing but I'm finally ready to face the fat... I mean facts.
I gotta lose weight.

Replies

• LindsayKorthuis
    LindsayKorthuis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's good that you are heading in a new direction, determined to work on your weight. As a photographer, I have to tell you that cameras CAN lie. It's all about positioning the body and the angle taken. So don't be too hard on yourself. Many many people take the MOST unflattering pictures of others possible unintentionally! Take heart and good luck to you! <3
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You're GONNA lose weight. Good for you for making the decision to take care of yourself!
    Can I make a suggestion that has helped me a lot in reaching my goals? Make sure to make some exercise
    part of each day,and do yourself a favor and take photos of yourself at every angle in a bathing suit or underwear,and then take new photos every 30 days. The scale is not the best indicator of changes to your body.
    But like you said,cameras don't lie!
    I did just that,and while the first set of photos where hard for me to look at,seeing the changes in comparison every 30 days has kept me motivated and actually excited about my new lifestyle and transformation. Good luck to you!

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    we all started there. Hang in this web site is life changing,and free to boot!!
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Pictures suck but they definitely help. I saw pictures of myself with my family and I was definitely the biggest one there. I've already lost 20 lbs because of the family pictures and I joined MFP to lose the last 15. Taking pictures every 30 days is a great idea will help you stay motivated just so long as you remember that discipline is key. I had motivation galore even before I saw my pictures but until I decided to really change for good, not just for a few weeks or months, I wasn't making any real progress. Find the eating and exercise program (because the word "diet" can imply short-term change) that works for you and stick with it - even after you hit your goal weight. Otherwise you'll end up right back where you started! Good luck!
  • Trishfitz78
    Trishfitz78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience on holidays back in May and made the decision just like you to get it in hand! 3 months on and I'm 23 pounds lighter and feeling amazing.
    As Frankiesgirlie said above - make sure you introduce exercise - it's saved me! I love food! :)
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Had a similar experience. I was floored! I was in denial of how much weight I had gained.
    Every journey starts with a single step and here you are! You will lose.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh, and turn the pity party into some action.....read through the theads here for advice and start planning your meals to fit your calorie goals.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The camera adds 10 pounds... just sayin'...
    I've read many (many) articles about this, just because I was curious if the statement was true and as far as everything I read goes, it is.
    That's not to say you shouldn't lose weight.
    Obviously that's a choice and I wish you much luck and success!
    Just wanted to make sure you knew not to be too hard on yourself because cameras CAN and DO lie!
    ;)
  • Tismesz
    Tismesz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I'm going for it.
    I agree cameras add lbs, so my sisters had 10 lbs added to them as well and I was still the biggest... this was absolutely no lie.
    I'm fat, I'm unhealthy and I'm ready to change!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Being "ready" is your first step to success. I'm 5'4" as well and am 95 pounds down! Took me a year and a half but I did it, you can too! Good luck!
  • Rebekahl87
    Rebekahl87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Think of those photos as your "before" pictures. The only thing to be mortified of is if you stay where you're at. You know you're ready, now take those next steps: get your nutrition in check and start moving more. In addition to MFP, I have a fantastic (free) resource for support and accountability on Facebook. Learning how to eat- eating for maximum fat loss and 1-2 lb losses/week- over the course of 4 months, I've lost 40 lbs. I'd love to get you plugged in, if you're interested. Send me a message if you are! :)
  • fowlermrmrs12
    fowlermrmrs12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    r7rp1wejyucp.jpg
  • fowlermrmrs12
    fowlermrmrs12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    6ofugkx09kxm.jpg
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! Pictures can suck, the truth hurts. You got this!
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and close to 200 lbs. I looked at my vacation pictures and they were not pretty. The person I see in the mirror is NOT the person in the photos. What a wakeup call. I guess we see who we want to see,not reality. So here I go. I've started with improving my eating habits. Once I've got that figured out I will add more exercise.
    Best of luck to all of us on MFP.