Does anyone have a low-ish calorie Flapjack recipe?

Options
lottycat
lottycat Posts: 333 Member
I know that flapjack is never going to be a healthy option, but we all need a treat now and then right?

Does anyone have a healthyish flapjack recipe they'd like to share?

Thank you! Flapjack is my weakness and I'm missing it :) xxx

Replies

• mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    At the whole food store they have low carb low sugar bisquik pancake mix or if you have a meijer in your area they have it as well.
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think there are a couple on eatingwell.com.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I buy Bisquick Heart Smart. 1/3 cup per serving - 140 calories, 2.5 g of fat

Then I use Aunt Jemima Light syrup. Still a bit of a splurge, but once in a blue moon - who cares?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I like bisquick mix, Make it like the recipe for pancakes calls for, and make 1/3 cup pancakes you can have two for about 260 calories.

For syrup my new favorite way (and I will never go back) is to take 2-3 cups of frozen peaches, and boil them down in a pan, I add a little bit of milk 2-3 tbsps, and stir and stir until it gets syrupy and the peaches are well cooked down and super soft. Its 60 calories for a cup of peaches, no sugar added.

Pour the peaches over the top of the bisquick pancakes and enjoy its soooo delicious and only about 320 calories. Not bad if I do say so myself. Sometimes I will even have an extra pancake... Its breakfast!!!! I tend to eat more calories at breakfast than at lunch or dinner anyways.

*** Im drooling about peaches now... I want some pancakes with peaches. lol maybe I will do that for saturdays breakfast! YUMM!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    For syrup my new favorite way (and I will never go back) is to take 2-3 cups of frozen peaches, and boil them down in a pan, I add a little bit of milk 2-3 tbsps, and stir and stir until it gets syrupy and the peaches are well cooked down and super soft. Its 60 calories for a cup of peaches, no sugar added.

o man that sounds DELICIOUS!!!
  • kimmerroze
    Options

o man that sounds DELICIOUS!!!

It is delicious... My husband is a syrup freak! drenches his pancakes in it, he hardly uses the syrup if I make the fruit! Its soooo good! I have also done it with raspberries and black berries, but I prefer the peaches.
  • KristiGuard
    KristiGuard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like bisquick mix, Make it like the recipe for pancakes calls for, and make 1/3 cup pancakes you can have two for about 260 calories.

Pour the peaches over the top of the bisquick pancakes and enjoy its soooo delicious and only about 320 calories. Not bad if I do say so myself. Sometimes I will even have an extra pancake... Its breakfast!!!! I tend to eat more calories at breakfast than at lunch or dinner anyways.

*** Im drooling about peaches now... I want some pancakes with peaches. lol maybe I will do that for saturdays breakfast! YUMM!

Wow that sounds good! I bet it taste like peach cobbler.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    flapjack? or pancake?
    In the UK, flapjack is oats with butter, fruits and nuts...
    Well, if this is what you are looking for, try using applesauce instead of butter, and agave nectar intead of honey or sugar. You can add some protein powder too.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I recently found a buckwheat pancake recipe that I like: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/buckwheat_pancakes/

I used 1 cup buckwheat flour, 1/2 cup unbleached flour, and low-fat (1%) buttermilk, and it came out at less than 100 calories per pancake.

Hope you find something tasty that meets your requirements. Nothing quite replaces a good pancake.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I was wondering about which flapjacks too, as Im English. The applesauce suggestion works, substitute half for the margarine the first time and increase it if you like it. I also substitute half the syrup for splenda (yes I know some of you frown on Splenda) then log the finished recipe into mfp and it will tell you the cals etc.:smile:
  • kimmerroze
    Options

Wow that sounds good! I bet it taste like peach cobbler.

It does sortof... people might think this is weird, but I like my pancakes almost on the not done all the way side... I like the insides to be a little mushy... and when it is hot with the peaches on top it tastes really similar to it.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The whole grain variation of this recipe is my go to:

http://www.marthastewart.com/266166/how-to-with-allie-pancakes

I have also made these oatmeal pancakes using leftover cooked oatmeal:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/05/oatmeal-pancakes/

And if you would like a higher protein option, try these (I did not care for them, because they were too eggy for me):

http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/recipes/cottage_cheese.html
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    Have you thought about opting for crepes instead of the fluffy pancakes?? I thin the pancake batter down with water... prepare them. Then saute apples & raisins with a sprinkle of cinnamon... and use that as the filling for my crepes, & even dust with a little powdered sugar. They are definitely a treat!!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have used Fiber One pancake mix. It's pretty good
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So confused as to why everyone is talking about pancakes...

Aren't flapjacks like... chewy-oaty-bar things?
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Im confused too. If we are talking about flapjack (UK, with oats etc).

I buy Marks and Spencer ready made ones, they some some for under 100cal per piece. Its just a new range of low cal snacks, treats etc. Maybe worth a try?

x
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Banana Yogurt Pancakes
    Source: dLife

Tasty pancakes made with banana, yogurt, and vanilla extract!

Rating:
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Difficulty: EASY

Nutrition Facts

Makes 18servings
    Amount Per Serving

Calories 68.4

Total Carbs 13 g

Dietary Fiber 0.4 g

Sugars 2.7 g

Total Fat 0.4 g