Troubles

Options
I had done well. I was on a roll and had lost 22 lbs. Then the doctors told me I had breast cancer. Tests, surgeries, medications, radiation. I feel awful. Let me preface that I will live, so that's a really good thing. Between the Tamoxifen, the radiation, the exhaustion, I have not been to the gym. I have not been watching what I eat. All of the weight I lost is back again. Radiation will be over at the end of next month. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rolling again? I'm afraid to do too much too soon, but I want to get back on track. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would talk with your doctor to see what they think. I wouldn't be working out too much while you're ill. You can still eat nutritiously and not overeat - I think that's what I would focus on right now. Just my two cents. Sorry you're going through this :( hang in there!
  • GodSentMe23
    GodSentMe23 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree.
  • lisajahn3
    lisajahn3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can do this, but give yourself a break now. One fight at a time! You will be back before you know it!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes, please discuss it with your doctor first.
    I am glad to hear that you will live, congratulations on beating this!
    Yes, one thing at a time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.
    Baby steps... and just listen to your body. It will let you know how much it can do physically.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would definitely consult with your doctor to see what would be the safest route for you to take. Your body has been through a lot, so I don't see the harm in taking it easy for a bit. I do love your determination and fighting spirit, though--You're absolutely an inspiration! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Over ten years ago my girlfriend had scary-stage breast cancer in her forties and survived it. She's treated every year since like a reprieve. She and her husband plan a couple cruises every year to celebrate. About a year before I lost my weight she lost hers, and also went for reconstructive breast surgery. The surgery balanced her out and eliminated back pain she had suffered with for years. It's like she has a whole new life now.

I guess I'm saying you can treat this day and the next as an opportunity for a do-over, and it's never too late.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would concentrate on eating for nutrition to build your body back up into health. Dr Joel Fuhrman's site can help you with that. Best wishes.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Please consult with your doctor. For now, I would set MFP to maintain your current weight just to get back in the habit of logging. Set aside some time to walk, until the doctor says you can go back to the gym. You'll lose it all again! But right now, listen to your doctor. My friend's mom was advised to stop dieting during her battle, not sure what your doctor has told you.
  • lisameister13
    lisameister13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you -- I start radiation soon. My doctor is all about the exercise -- it helps my energy levels and reduces fat (I'm ER/PR+ so less fat is important). My onc says move and do what I can, but acknowledge and accept days that I'm too tired. Now that chemo is over I can think about correcting my diet (during chemo, it was just eat whatever i could). I don't know what kind of surgery you had, but just get an for ok any arm exercises.

Glad you're almost done with this s$&t!! Cancer can suck my big toe!