Any parents of special needs kids??

Options
My son is 3 diagnosed with autism at 20 months, I fell into a depression after his diagnosis and just felt lost and turned to food for comfort. These days he is doing well and I am getting healthy to be the best version of me for him! Anyone else out there who can relate?

Replies

• PandaBWA
    PandaBWA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My son is special needs (general developmental delay but they don't think he's on the spectrum) and it has been hard here too. He's 3 now and just started preschool. Hugs mama! I'm trying to get healthy for him and our new baby girl as well.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have2 Children on the spectrum. My son has autism and he's 12, my daughter has aspergers and she's 10. You can add me for support if you like ;)
  • stacystrouse86
    stacystrouse86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My son was born with Congenital Heart disease and has had 3 open heart surgeries. He also has had feeding issues and seizures. He is now seizure free but suffers from Mild cognitive delays. He will still need to have corrective surgeries on his heart throughout his life. I also have a daughter who was diagnosed 2 years ago with ADHD. After my son was born I was and have been so consumed with taking care of him and my other 4 children that I completely let myself go. I to sought comfort with food. I want to loose the weight so bad it is just so difficult to remain motivated when life gets you down.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I wanted to offer my support. Autism is hard. I have a daughter that is on the spectrum on top of ADHD, Anxiety, depression, and learning disabilities. I'm at a different stage because my girl is a senior and we're trying to help her find a way to survive the real world. I also grew up with Autism, my 46 year old brother was diagnosed in the early 70's right when autism became an official diagnosis and before schools were required to offer education.

It makes taking care of yourself extra challenging. Good for you on making the effort.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I have a son with 18p- (he's missing part of a chromosome). It's pretty rare, and affects him physically and with speech, and possibly some behaviorally (hr's almost 4 and with almost no speech, so it's hard to tell if it's just age plus frustration, or more than that). I also have a close friend who has a daughter his age and another who is 2 and both are on the spectrum.

I understand the depression and looking to food for comfort. There is a grieving process that follows any sort of diagnosis (not grieving that he is on the spectrum, but there is some sense of loss for the potential you expected, the hopes and dreams you had, etc. and it's totally normal and okay). Allow yourself to move through this process ... be angry if you need to, cry if you feel like it, and if possible, talk to other parents who have been through the same thing. It helps! And then, try to exercise for stress instead of eating, and start logging your meals again.

HTH :smile:
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have to boys that have autism. Ages 6 and 4. My 4 year old is more serve then my oldest. He also has alot more health problems too
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    BHey there! I have 3 kids, 2 ASD(and ADHD & epilepsy) the baby is showing significant development and physical delays. I too have battled depression and feeling of failure for the last 10 years, since the first diagnosis. But life is awesome and the kids continue to amaze me (and break my heart) every day. It is a roller coaster for sure.
    I use calorie counting and exercise as my "me" time and hobby, with the fact in mind that they need me even more and for as long as possible. I also need to be able to physically keep up with them and keep them safe. It will get better, some days. It will feel worse, some days. But this is our life. Make the best out of it for yourself and your family.
    (Ps, between appointments and therapies, I have lost ~65lbs in the last year and can do things I never thought possible. You totally cam too).
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a 21 yr old son who has aspergers &ocd. as a 2yr old he was diagnosed. i busted tail to get him ready for school. we were told to put him in a home or medicate heavily, of course that was our LAST visit to that dtr. when started kindergarten he was only in speech therapy by then. he excelled all throughout school taking college course final 2 years of hs. he joined the navy & excelled, do in part im sure to the structured nature. because of his speech issues my daughter whom is 4years younger also had speech issues, which were corrected by 2 nd grade. this can be done!!! i am in medical field working with physical/mental challenged people everyday, have worked for our school district helping to structure ieps for other children. u ARE ur childs best & sometimes ONLY advocate!YOU need to stay healthy & make time for urself! otherwise these issues will overtake ur whole familys life, which is good for NOONE!!!keep your head above it& breath;) you can add me if ud like.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I think we should start a group, anyone know how to do that?

My middle kid has autism, he'll be 4 years old in a couple weeks and was diagnosed just after his 2nd birthday. I also went into a depression where I didn't take care of myself. I still get emotional talking about it, but instead of using food I jog and cry if I need to during my run. I am so grateful I moved to a school district that gives him a lot of services and I love his teacher, but we still have rough moments at home.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My youngest son has a speech delay and fine motor deficits. He just began Kindergarten and is 5. He has oral sensory issues which is challenging for our family. He has trouble with some social cues, especially with regulating the volume of his voice and understanding physical boundaries.

When he was born I gained a lot of weight. He had severe reflux and screamed for hours each day. On top of that, my older son was only 16 months when my younger guy was born. It was stressful and I began having a lot of problems with anxiety and depression. After the reflux he had severe constipation, speech delay, social/emotional delays, and fine motor deficits.

Right now is very stressful for me as he begins Kindergarten. So far, he seems to respond quite well to the social demands and the structure.

I should also add that I'm a school psychologist. I do a lot of testing for special education. If we had our own group I would love to join, both for personal support and to maybe be able to offer professional advice?

It's nice to meet you all.
  • lisah180
    lisah180 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would love to start a group as well!! I don't know how either! It's so nice to meet you all!!
  • lisah180
    Options
    I figured it out and created a group! Let's chat, talk about our kids and offer support!
    I made the group private so everyone feel comfortable talking about whatever without judgement! Let me know if you would like to join and I will send you an invite!!
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Me please. I posted my situation above somewhere.
  • lisah180
    Options
    I sent you an invite to join last night
  • lisah180
    Options
    Let me know if you didn't get it :)
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a 25 yr old son with Down Syndrome. I'd love to join the group!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was a late bloomer. I saw the first signs of a later confirmed diagnosis of Schizophrenia when my son was twelve. After the confirmed diagnosis in his twenties, I grieved for a couple years. I've reconciled myself to the diagnosis, the most scary for me is the statistically shortened lifespan, usually by suicide.

He's in his thirties, in a sheltered group home, works sometimes, and is engaged to be married. He's a humble, gentle man who never fails to call his mother. He also sometimes manages to beat a Master at chess. I've forgotten his score. All I know is that he nearly always beats me!

I wish you much joy as you find the challenges and treasures of raising a challenging child.
  • NicciColeLee
    NicciColeLee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have two special kiddos. Daughter 13 Epilepsy and Autism, Son 9 Autism and Seizures. Is this a group? I'm newer to this and would love support from parents who understand.
  • Jessalane0607
    Jessalane0607 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have two boys with special needs. The oldest is 16, and has severe autism and moderate intellectually disabled. We were told he has the mentality of a 4 year old. Our other son is 8, and was diagnosed initially with intellectually disabled, but was rediagnosed with autism and a learning disability. It's hard, and I turned to food as well because it was always there. Mindlessly eating and always on the go made for bad food habits. But I wouldn't change my boys for anything in the world.