for the ladies -tmi

Options
Alright so I have a question regarding weight loss and aunt flo.

I was reading a bunch of online articles regarding weight gain during pms however most say this is 1_2 weeks before my period and I should b back to normal once I start. I don't have pms before my period. All the PMS symptoms start when my period starts including bloating and what might be weight gain. I'm worried that this might be real gain instead of just pms_ even though I don't change much in my diet.
Is this normal? Anyone else like this?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to wait until it's over and check the scale again. When I was younger, I didn't notice any pms, symptoms seemed to come on the day I started. You can mess up your cycles by eating too little fat or by lowering your bf% too low, it throws off your hormone balance.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this is YOUR normal and it does sound like the normal monthly gain and bloating. Way back when this was an issue for me, I was the same. Do you lose it after? Or does it stick with you? If you are concerned though, ask your doctor.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Normal, completely normal.

You may see weight gain around ovulation--approximately halfway through your cycle for most women--and again right around your period. I don't really think of my symptoms as pms because they have never been more pre- than a few hours. Certainly not days. They usually hit and bam there's my period.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you didn't change much in your diet, why would you suddenly begin gaining fat?
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is how I am. About 2 or 3 days before mine starts, my weight jumps 5 or so lbs but by the time I'm halfway through it has went back to normal. I wouldn't worry about it being a true gain unless every week/month it's higher and higher.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i definately see a gain 1-2 weeks before my period - its vile but once its here, im back to normal,
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The timing of the TOM weight gain varies for every woman it seems (as does the amount of the gain, or if there even is a gain at all). I don't get PMS. I have symptoms the week of my actual period. That's when the scale goes up too. Not before. And it goes right back down at the end of the week. You just have to wait and see. Don't panic.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh when it's TOM - Purely because I know I'll see a gain and whilst I *know* it's normal and not a 'fat' gain, I'll still feel a little put out. So I steer clear until it's left me alone! I've been known to gain up to 6lbs when it's TOM! And god do I feel it..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    If I see weight gain before my period, it is either the day or two before, or first day of, my period. I will go up maybe 0.5 kg for a day ... occasionally 2 days ... and then drop back to where I was. The day that I gain weight kind of depends how my periods start. Each one is different. I never know how it's going to go one month to the next.
  • SimpleGirlNoche
    SimpleGirlNoche Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to wait until it's over and check the scale again. When I was younger, I didn't notice any pms, symptoms seemed to come on the day I started. You can mess up your cycles by eating too little fat or by lowering your bf% too low, it throws off your hormone balance.

I actually noticed this with my cycle. When I stick with a low-fat diet, my cycle becomes irregular (several days late, heavy flow 3rd day instead of 1st and worse cramps). This past cycle, I fell off the food wagon and had a lot of fatty foods the week leading up to my expected start date. I noticed that because of the bad foods, my cycle regulated itself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Fatty foods aren't bad foods. Your body needs fat. Case in point.
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    normally I don't gain weight with my period, right before I start my weight loss will stop completely, and not move again for anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. However this last one was different, I kept losing up until the day after I started, then gained 3-4lbs around the 3rd and 4th day, then lost it all again 2 days later. It probably had something to do with the fact that I also started weight training around the same time. Lots of glycogen and water sitting in my quads from all those freaking squats :)