Only lost 1 lb.

Options
I only lost 1 lb and it's my first week......normally I would just get discouraged and not try nearly as hard, but I have to see it in a new light. A pound is way better than staying the same weight or worse gaining.

How do you deal with scale disappointment?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I deal with scale disappointment by not letting it disappoint me. A pound is a perfectly healthy amount to lose in a week - it's not healthy to lose *too* much in a short amount of time! The fact is that we cannot perfectly predict exactly how much we will lose each week - so many things come into play: hormones, water consumption (or lack thereof), exercise, overall health, how much and what quality sleep we're getting, the quality of food we eat, individual food intolerances/sensitivities, and more. The way I see it, some weeks I'll lose less than I think I "should" and some weeks I'll lose more. Either way, i don't let the scale determine how I feel about myself because as long as I'm making healthy choices then I know I'm doing what I need to do. At the end of the day this is about my health, not just a number on the scale.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    1 pounds is great! No one should be discouraged by that. Great job and keep it up. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Lost 1lb in a week? Um... that's how it's supposed to go isn't it? I mean, you could be me, & up 7lbs (but I think part of it is muscle, & maybe some water weight. It's been hot lately, & I've increased my workouts). There are a lot of things to consider. For example: after your monthly clock hits 12 is a GREAT time to step on the scale... you can lose 4, 5 lbs in a week there! LOL.

You know what I think? It's supposed to be about how you feel. Energy. How you look. Inches lost. I try not to get hung up on the scale, & just remember how my pants fell down a few months ago & I had to buy more! You can get where you want, you just have to put the work in. What that looks like is different for everyone. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. But the general premise is the same: Calorie Deficit. Keep going!

1lb is a great start! The First of Many! :tongue:
  • Nickerze
    Nickerze Posts: 6
    Options
    I only lost 1 pound myself, but I'm excited, it's weight I didn't put on! I'm hoping by doing it slowly like this I won't take off ten or twenty pounds and then turn around and put thirty back on.
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try to look at other things too. My first few weeks on here I didn't lose at all on the scale but I was slowly losing inches. I also noticed I felt better and slowly wasn't feeling "starved" at meals or a slave to the #s. Clothing was fitting better too. In short my advice is not to depend too much on what the scale is telling you...and remember you're on a journey of relearning habits not just a quick fix.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    first off 1 lb a week is the perfect amount to lose. the slower you lose weight the less muscle is lost. slow and easy is the trick. about the scale. don't make that your focus. eating healthy and getting fit is the focus of your new lifestyle. :drinker:
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    fitnhealthyccthatsme Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I lost one pound in my first week also. I was a little sad, but I kept going. I knew I was doing the right things and it paid off in week two with a few more pounds lost. Just after my 2nd weigh in I put on clothing that I hadn't worn because of my extra weight that had started to come off. I'm more excited about my clothes fitting again than I am about what the scales show :-)

Keep on keepin' on!

:-)
  • armywife121110
    Options
    I actually posted something similer to this a few weeks ago. I was very disappointed with my two lbs but then I though about it and was like, I lost two lbs!! It's 2 lbs closer to my goal so I'm excited. I only weight my self on fridays so i can see how I did throughout the week!! Keep up your good work!! and congrats!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I realized last week that I hadn't lost weight in about 2 months, but it doesn't bother me. Due to changing my workout from intense cardio to a strength training program (which starts with light weights), I haven't been doing as much. I have also been eating more in anticipation of the heavier weights, which I'm getting into now. I remind myself that my goal is no longer to lose weight, but to become fit. Becoming fit will cause me to gain weight, which is fine by me.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    ehh, computer glitched, but will use this to also say that measurements are your friend and can tell you much more about the changes in your body than a scale ever could.
  • JessieGurl
    JessieGurl Posts: 27
    Options
    Do not be discouraged and give up! I hate to hear ONLY a pound.. a pound in one week is great. Al those pounds add up! Even if you gain, its just a MINOR bump in the road. Keep at it, don't get discouraged and before you know it, you will be at your goal and you will see someone new post about only losing a pound and you will tell them.. a pound is a great loss and to keep up the good work!

Congrats on your weightloss! Keep up the good work! You are on your way to a healthier you, don't ever give up on yourself!

If this helps, look at a pound of something.. I think either flour or sugar comes in a 1 pound bag. I know if I visualize what I have lost it keeps me thinking positively..Personally, I have lost my 3 1/2 year old son! I look in the mirror and can't see the weightloss on my body, but I know I have lost 37lbs.. My son is 35lbs! I still have to lose my 1 year old .. an additional 25-30lbs.. and I will because I know I have a long road ahead and I am enoying every moment of this journey! Even the gains and the plateaus. I am learning so much about my body and how it reacts to food and exercise. I am not on a diet.. I'm living my life healthfully now.

Good luck..we are all here if you need support!
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for the last 3 months. But, in that same amount of time, I've gone from a tight size 16 to a loose size 14, even with no change on the scale. You will have times in your weight loss journey where you won't lose and may even gain a few pounds. But don't let it discourage you! Keep posting questions, getting advice, and make changes as necessary. If you give up, you know it won't happen. But if you stick with it, positive changes will happen with time! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you are still not losing 3 months from now then re-evaluate. If you are staying within your goals and eating healthy don't worry about it. If not then you know what to do.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    PS - another way to look at it - if you lose "only one" pound a week for an entire year, that's 52 pounds gone! FIFTY TWO! Which is fantastic! That's 2/3 of the way to your goal, based on your ticker. :flowerforyou: Every journey has to start somewhere, and even a small step forward is still a step forward.
  • LawyerGal1908
    LawyerGal1908 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I only lost 1 lb and it's my first week......normally I would just get discouraged and not try nearly as hard, but I have to see it in a new light. A pound is way better than staying the same weight or worse gaining.

How do you deal with scale disappointment?

I lost a little over a pound per week for 18 months! 102 pounds later I was fine with it! Here's a poem my Weight Watcher leader shared with us about Only Losing One Pound! 1 pound a week for 52 weeks is 52 pounds my dear its a good thing!

http://cyliafitandfab.blogspot.com/2009/07/only-1-pound.html
  • simplysarahd
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the encouragement. Part of this losing weight journey, for me, is to change my "stinkin' thinkin". I have been very negative in the past in regards to whether or not I can lose weight. I am my own worst enemy so instead of sulking over what was disappointing at first, I am now celebrating. :happy: