Jillian Michaels Detox

Options
Just curious if anyone has tried this and what their thoughts were? I was thinking about trying it out once I'm done nursing my daughter.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think she got sued b/c it was dangerous, but I could be thinking of something else....
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing too...Im thinking of trying it next week but would love to see what people say and if its even worth it...
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It made me drink A LOT of water. (we're talking like 17-19 glasses per day) But that's all. I didn't feel any different really and I didn't lose any weight (not that I expected to). I think it had a placebo effect on me because when I was taking it I was more motivated to work out but other than that, I didn't notice anything. Save your money.
  • TeresaJTuck
    TeresaJTuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about Jillian Michaels so called pills that are on the market? If so, that is rubbish. Jillian herself says she doesn't have such stuff on the market, that it's a hoax, don't go there. It's not true.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    my co-worker tried it but didnt finish cause it made her go to the bath room (#2) a lot and severe stomach cramps!!!!!
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, anything considered detox is not good for you nor necessary for health. The body is a miraculous thing & takes care of itself if you treat it right. Detoxing can actually kill the good bacteria in your gut that you need for proper digestion. My recommendation is to just eat right and let your body do what it should on its own.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a detox but a Colon Cleanse is a good idea especially when starting a new diet. A natural one is Super Colon Cleanse, i wouldn't bother with the capsules go for the powder its more effective.
  • cmosu981
    cmosu981 Posts: 4
    Options
    I haven't taken it but my sister has. She started working out in February 2009 and has lost about 30lbs now. She tried taking it at the beginning of her diet and then stopped. She told me flat out that it was a waste of money. It didn't help her lose any weight (she was eating healthy and exercising an hour a day). All it did was give her a lot of energy and then a huge crash. Don't take pills, it's a waste of money. You're better off using that $40 or so it costs on a new pair of jeans to fit your new body with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    She is being sued for it and she did endorse it
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    I tried it and it did nada! No weight loss or anything. Definately save your money, if you wanna detox research detox cleansers but as previously said it kills the good bacteria so if you do detox, purchase a good probiotic to build up your bacteria again!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    By COURTNEY HUTCHISON, ABC News Medical Unit
    Aug. 6, 2010
    "Biggest Loser" star and fitness guru Jillian Michaels is being sued for endorsing a diet cleanse supplement that contains allegedly dangerous ingredients.

According to court documents, the unnamed plaintiff in the lawsuit is suing Michaels and Thin Care International, makers of "Triple Process Total Body Detox & Cleanse," for $10 million for "actively and fraudulently conspiring to hide the alleged dangers" of the product, TMZ reports.

Though the verdict is still out on whether or not this product is as dangerous as the court documents claim, experts agree that the product is no doubt ineffective at providing any of its purported benefits, such as reduced "belly bloat," increased energy, and reduced "body waste buildup."

The class action suit was filed in the Stanley Mosk Court House in Los Angeles by one R.D. (the plaintiff wishes to be known only by her initials), according to the public information office at the L.A. County Superior Court.

This marks the fourth time that Michaels has been sued over her supplements. Three separate cases were filed in February concerning other products, including the Jillian Michael Maximum Strength Fat Burner and Jillian Michaels Maximum Strength Calorie Control.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage
    Fitness guru and star of the reality... View Full Caption
    Fitness guru and star of the reality television show "The Biggest Loser", Jillian Michaels, was just slapped with another multi-million dollar lawsuit over her weight loss products -- and this time, it's about a detox supplement that allegedly "might kill you." CloseLess than a year ago, Michaels introduced Triple Process Total Body Detox & Cleanse as a way to jump start a diet by "detoxifying" the digestive tract.

According to the packaging, using the product for a seven-day course will "reduce belly bloat," "support the colon and digestive system" and "support the liver's natural detoxification process," and make you feel "lighter and more energized."

According to R.D.'s suit, however, several of the ingredients included in the product, such as Irish moss powder, uva-ursi (also called bearberry), and Chinese rhubarb can be harmful to your health.

R.D. alleges that Irish moss causes "gastrointestinal ulcers," bearberry is "known to cause nausea and vomiting" and Chinese rhubarb is "a harsh laxative and dangerous diuretic…that may cause irreversible liver damage," and the supplement as a whole "might kill you," TMZ reports.

While diet and toxicology experts said it was extremely unlikely that the cleanse could be lethal, or even particularly dangerous, they agreed that some of the gastrointestinal symptoms mentioned by R.D. in the lawsuit may have some merit.

Jillian Michaels Lawsuit: The Dangers of Detox
    Chinese rhubarb is a known laxative, and can cause cramping and diarrhea, but is usually safe when used for eight days or less, says Elisabetta Politi, nutrition director of the Duke University Diet and Fitness Center.

The main ingredient, magnesium oxide, is also a laxative, says Lynn Willis, professor emeritus of pharmacology at Indiana University, but the dose in the cleanse is less than half needed for a laxative effect.

Many of the herbs are also diuretics, meaning that they can cause you to shed water weight through frequent urination, but again, they are probably not given at large enough doses to be dangerous, says Dr. Keith Ayoob, director of the Nutrition Clinic at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

The packaging also warns consumers to discontinue use if diarrhea or loose stools occur as the supplement could aggravate these conditions.

Of course, a big roadblock to assessing the safety, or the effectiveness, of the cleanse is that none of the individual doses of the herbs are listed on the product, merely a dose for the overall "proprietary blend" of herbs.
  • OrganicGal
    OrganicGal Posts: 15
    Options
    I totally agree that the body, when functioning on all cylinders, does a great job of "detoxing" itself, BUT...if you have existed on a diet of red meat, high fat, processed foods, and very little fiber, you can and will benefit from a detox plan. I recommend going to your local natural health food store (like Whole Foods) and talking to the knowledgeable folks there. I do a "Daniel Fast" every Jan, which consists of only fruits, veggies, and whole grains (pretty much a vegan diet). By eliminating the "whites"...white sugar, white bread, white pasta, etc, and processed foods, your body WILL get into the habit of detoxing for you. God created a wonderful body that knows what to do when taken care of, so eat right, exercise your body daily, and get your rest. Momma wasn't just making up that stuff you know! :0)