What is your Macros set at?

Options
2»

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just aim for 120g protein (35%) and much less than that of net carbs. I rarely reach the specified fat amount (30%).

...your math is a bit off. You might want to clarify.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just aim for 120g protein (35%) and much less than that of net carbs. I rarely reach the specified fat amount (30%).

I'm set at 35p/35c/30f, but only really care to eat 120g+ protein and as low net carbs as possible completely ignoring fat %. Not sure what was so hard about that. 100-35-30 = 35, but I guess math is too hard for some.

ETA: I have a hard time eating near my cals and will rarely reach my macros regardless, so in those days, I eat as high protein as possible even if I'm under the 1000 cal requirement that MFP insists we stay on. And yes, my doctors do know about this but aren't concerned since I have a compromised metabolism anyway.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

I'm set at 35p/35c/30f, but only really care to eat 120g+ protein and as low net carbs as possible completely ignoring fat %. Not sure what was so hard about that. 100-35-30 = 35, but I guess math is too hard for some.

ETA: I have a hard time eating near my cals and will rarely reach my macros regardless, so in those days, I eat as high protein as possible even if I'm under the 1000 cal requirement that MFP insists we stay on. And yes, my doctors do know about this but aren't concerned since I have a compromised metabolism anyway.

Man, what a bitcharooniedoonie.

There are worst things to be called, but I really didn't want to get into some of the reasons why MFP macros doesn't always work.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm typically in the 30-40% C/30-35% F/ 30-35% P range. 2,700-2,800 calories a day.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    60-20-20 -1.200 cal/day
    Non processed plant based diet.
    Losing fat and gaining muscles!

Not sure how you can gain muscle on 1200 calories. Muscle building requires a surplus of calories. 1200 seems like a deficit.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My macros are set to 50%carbs, 20%fat, 30%protein.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    40/30/30. I don't pay as much attention to macros as some here though.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I think this thread confused me even more! :)

Being fairly new to the nutrition thing (beyond the basics) I've seen so much conflicting information that it's mind boggling. While some here have gone in depth for their reasons behind changing macros, others are just tossing out numbers. I have to assume that personal goals (weight loss vs maintenance vs aerobic exercise vs building, etc) are a factor even if we all had a set metabolism.

Could some of the more informed posters give us a reason WHY they changed their macros, or links to things to better inform ourselves?

Also a question for all. When I first installed MFP, my macros changed based on my exercise or lack of. After a couple weeks, it now just stays at the default setting of 50C/30F/20P. Was this due to an update, or is there a setting I screwed up somehow? And in any case, is is appropriate to increase carbs and reduce fat on workout days?

**Disclamer** Newbie input, just seeking advice!
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I used a TDEE calculator to work out my calorie intake level based on my exercise for the week, it also gave me a macro setting based on the info i gave (60%carb, 20%fat, 20%protein) however, i wasn't overly happy with the high carb low protein level so i changed it a smidge.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    This is what I've learned and echoed by my doctors...

Every body is a complex chemistry machine and each one is different. Many who have changed macros have done so because they've experimented beyond the basic CICO to fine tune what their own body needs. You'll probably do that too.

Right now, it's enough to start with CICO using the defaults and see what happens. For some, it works just fine. All nutrition stays in balance, you lose weight, you stay healthy doing it, you feel good. If that works, there's no reason to tweak. If it doesn't, you tweak. Only you can decide, based on your body's reaction to doing it, what your macros will look like.

Also realize there's no "look like in the end" since your chemistry set will change as you age. It's a constant, lifelong process of experimenting.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Being fairly new to the nutrition thing (beyond the basics) I've seen so much conflicting information that it's mind boggling. While some here have gone in depth for their reasons behind changing macros, others are just tossing out numbers. I have to assume that personal goals (weight loss vs maintenance vs aerobic exercise vs building, etc) are a factor even if we all had a set metabolism.

Could some of the more informed posters give us a reason WHY they changed their macros, or links to things to better inform ourselves?

Also a question for all. When I first installed MFP, my macros changed based on my exercise or lack of. After a couple weeks, it now just stays at the default setting of 50C/30F/20P. Was this due to an update, or is there a setting I screwed up somehow? And in any case, is is appropriate to increase carbs and reduce fat on workout days?

**Disclamer** Newbie input, just seeking advice!

1. I went with 40/30/30 because the standard formula for protein is .8-1 gram/per pound of body weight. For a 129-lb person, this works out to 104 at a minimum. 30% is where I end up with rounding. Fewer than 40% carbs and I think my workouts suffer.
    2. Your MFP will default to 50/30/20 every time you change your goals. So if you decide you want to lose 1 pound a week instead of 2, you will have to go back in and manually reset your diary settings.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    I changed my macros because I was insulin resistant and needed a very high protein diet. I also am all for preserving muscle during weight loss, so for me there is a two-fold reason. It's a slower method, but so far I'm liking the results. I look like I've lost much more weight than I have.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Could some of the more informed posters give us a reason WHY they changed their macros, or links to things to better inform ourselves? **Disclamer** Newbie input, just seeking advice!

75-80% carbs
    15-20% protein
    5-10% fat

Why? I changed to a plant-based diet 2 mths ago to lower my cholesterol. Staples are potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, beans, lentils, fruits and veggies, some nuts and seeds. I avoid added oils.

Weight loss has been easier and faster now than in the beginning(4 lbs/mth in the first 4 mths versus 5 lbs/mth in last 2 mths and now I'm down to 126). Maybe because my high energy foods are making it easier to exercise harder and longer than before, thus increasing my deficit. Maybe I'm staying full for longer due to my high fiber diet and therefore overestimating intake (eating less than I think I am) which would also increase deficit. Probably a combination of the two.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the more in depth answers everyone. I do understand it's not a "one size fits all" thing, but the huge variations being posted without any explanations had me a bit confused. I am slowly figuring out what makes me feel best, and wanted to know why others made their changes.