Lunch box ideas

Options
HELP! I went back to work after being home all summer and I'm struggling to find variety for my lunch bag! I tend to stick with a turkey and cheese sandwich on Sara Leah 45 calorie bread with a side of fruit, veggie, mixed nuts, crackers and string cheese. What do you put in your lunch box? And how do you keep from eating all the (possibly free) food at work?

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well if you pack lunches you will genuinely enjoy that helps keep you from eating the free food at work. Soups, different types of sandwhiches, chicken/rice with veggies, yogurt, fruit, etc. I would look up bento box recipes even if you don't' have a bento box.

If your work is bringing in food from a chain restaurant those restaurants have nutrition information posted, you can potentially still eat said free food and log it accurately, just leave room for it in your day.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay home mom but one of my favorite things, that should work in a lunch box, is a hummus wrap. Wrap or tortilla, spread with hummus - I add spinach, grape tomatoes, artichoke hearts, black olives, feta cheese. You could probably add whatever sounds good to you. :smile:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have the free food. But in general I pack tasty things that I know the calorie counts for, and that keeps me focused. And if I have to, I'll eat part of my lunch at 11, then the rest later or whatever. You're lunch sounds great to me, though I wonder if you have enough protein spread among it. Like, maybe hummus to dip the veggies in or something like that. Also make sure you have enough fat in there. If I'm full of cheese and peanut butter, it's easier for me to say no to the chocolate chip cookies on the work counter.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I cook alot at home, and I often make enough for left overs.
    I always bring alot of veggies at work on Monday to keep me going all week, and fruits too.
    As for my lunch, it varies, some time sandwiches, other times salads (always with protein). And I always have a snack in the afternoon to keep me sustained (since I work out after work but before dinner). So often its a pre-workout protein bar (I use Vega).

Drinking water, and green tea in the afternoon stuffs me, so all free Junk food around work does not look apatizing to me!

Good luck
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just had my soup, salad, and cottage cheese for lunch. Then I'll have my yogurt and fruit this afternoon (I eat all day).

Salads I bring in a mason jar with dressing (mustard) on the bottom and then dish it out onto a plate at lunch time. I bring my soup in a jar and honestly just drink it.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat leftovers from the day before, so I know it's healthy and home-cooked. Otherwise, I cook up a batch of pasta for a few days, or make a few days worth of salads (particularly potato salads as they keep me fuller than other sorts). And then I treat myself to a nice shop-bought lunch once a week just to keep myself sane :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I BBQ extra chicken the night before, put it in a tupper ware and have it for lunch the next day. I also take some of those fresh green beans that come in the microwavable bags at the supermarket and then bring a couple of pieces of fruit for snacks.
  • rrjackson121
    rrjackson121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually plan for the week...I make a spinach salad with red onions and cucumbers chopped very fine....I usually have some meat with it as well...very low in calories.2 tp of fat free salad dressing...330 calories very fillin...
  • martikri
    martikri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently have been making a lot of shredded chicken and using it for different lunch options (enchiladas, salads, etc.) one of my favorites as of recent are sweet potatoes that I slice thick and roast with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I mix the shredded chicken with avocado, greek yogurt and chipotle powder to make kind of a chicken salad and then top the sweet potatoes with the chicken salad. I personally don't mind having the sweet potatoes cold, but you could definitely reheat them at lunch depending on your preference. The chicken mix is also great in wraps or on crackers.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I take a lunch EVERYDAY and it has really help me take control of all my nutrition. It does take a lot of time and commitment but its so worth it. Where I am at I have a small toaster oven and do quite a bit of baking with it. Not everyone has this luxury but if you do there are endless possibilities. Here are some of the things I take with me: Seasoned Chicken Breast, Hard boiled eggs, Cereal, Toast, fruits, sweet potatoes, salads, healthy snacks, Tuna & chicken salad, Yogurt, protein shakes, homemade salsa's. If you look at my food log you will get more of an idea. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Good luck.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I carry lunch every day. Like others I always cook enough dinner to have some leftovers for lunch for a day or two. I occasionally take a sandwich or a wrap and once in a while buy my lunch or have a meal that is provided by my employer. I don't sweat those. I just enjoy them and log them and eat a lighter dinner that night.

Yesterday I stopped and got little donuts for my team and enjoyed one along with them. Nothing is so good as a freshly made donut with a morning coffee. Luckily Peace Love and Little Donuts makes theirs about 1/3 the size of a traditional donut so calories were not terrible.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I eat virtually the same Mon-Friday. Even my breakfast is the same. For lunch, I have a whole wheat pita pocket with humus, feta, baby spinach, sometimes grape tomatoes, either white onions chopped or green onions, and some falafel balls (2-3 depending) I will have one of those balance breaks cheese things from sargento, and either a gluten free(I'm not gluten free, but these are tasty) bar, or a banana. I used to have strawberries and grapes, but I got sick of that.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot of soups or salad pots - yes they are ready made and I'm essentially being lazy but it fills me up and I don't have to spend time chopping tomatoes and cucumbers each evening! I sometimes boil two eggs and chop up a bit of cheese and some cherry tomatoes and mix it into a bowl. Sounds a bit 'meh' but it's really yummy and gives me a nice energy boost! I usually follow that with some greek yoghurt or fruit!
  • laura_hudson2000
    laura_hudson2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love taking a salad with fruit, nuts and protein. Today was green and red leaf lettuce, grilled chicken, goat cheese crumbled, walnuts, and half a pluot cut up. With a rose wine vinegrette. Super easy to throw together.
  • Katieh90RN
    Katieh90RN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a picky eater. I tend to eat the same thing until I get sick of it and then find something else. I used to be really good at bringing a leafy green salad to work every day but I haven't done that in a couple of years. I need to force myself to try some new things i guess. Thanks guys