Bioidentical hormones?

Options
This isn't really weightloss related but are any of you on bioidentical hormones? Was wondering what other people's experiences with them might be (if your post is to ask my doctor please don't post, that's not the question.)

Replies

• gracefulblue26
    gracefulblue26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on Bioidentical patches for almost 3 years, what would you like to know?
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been on Bioidentical patches for almost 3 years, what would you like to know?

Do they have any side effects? i've been trying to search around for information but haven't found much. my doctor hasn't given me a ton of information and tends to downplay any side effects from past experience. i just want to know what i might expect, acne? weight gain? is it like being on the pill or is it totally different? my doc is through the VA so he doesn't give me a ton of info.
  • gracefulblue26
    Options
    The only side effect I suffer from now is a headache if I leave my old one on for to long after applying a new one. I used to wait a few hours between to keep any issues at bay from removing the old one to soon. My acne has not gotten any worse. I do not feel the patches are anything like the pill and I have lost over 50 pounds being on them, though this is due to MFP and CICO and has only been in the last year. I personally love my patches and cannot imagine giving them up, however I am on a very low dose. I hope that helps.
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    The only side effect I suffer from now is a headache if I leave my old one on for to long after applying a new one. I used to wait a few hours between to keep any issues at bay from removing the old one to soon. My acne has not gotten any worse. I do not feel the patches are anything like the pill and I have lost over 50 pounds being on them, though this is due to MFP and CICO and has only been in the last year. I personally love my patches and cannot imagine giving them up, however I am on a very low dose. I hope that helps.

thank you! do you mind if i ask what you are on them for? you don't have to answer if you don't want to. the main reason they want to try me on them is for PTSD but i also have a lot of problems with excessive bleeding on my periods with weakness from them, migraines, sleep problems, etc.
  • meghanduprey
    Options

PS BIG congrats on the weight loss!!!!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest asking this on the peri-menopause group, as there are several people there (myself included) with some experience with them.
  • gracefulblue26
    Options
    No problem, I had a total hysterectomy 3 years ago and I am on them for hormone replacement.. And thank you.
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    I'd suggest asking this on the peri-menopause group, as there are several people there (myself included) with some experience with them.

which group? i did a search and there are a couple...
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm on traditional HRT (patches and progesterone) and I don't have any negative side effects. I've had a lot of positive effects. I haven't tolerated hormonal BC in the past but HRT is a much lower dose of hormones and I've tolerated it well. No acne or other issues.

I get chronic migraines and it has helped. It is supposed to help with sleep but nothing does for me so I can't tell you it will from my experience. I do have a lot more energy and I've been able to be a lot more active. I'm on HRT because my levels were almost nonexistent and I was having a lot of issues with extreme fatigue and terrible migraines.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

best of luck, regardless!
  • meghanduprey
    Options

This one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

best of luck, regardless!

thanks so much! i posted in there, hopefully i get some feedback from other people, i want to get as much feedback as possible
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The endocrinologist I used to work with never prescribed bioidenticals. His concern is that the guidelines with the margin of error were too lenient - from bottle to bottle he could never be certain that his patients were getting remotely the same amount even though the dose was the same. We mostly saw this with thyroid and testosterone, but I thought it would be worth mentioning for you to consider as you make your decision
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Do they have any side effects? i've been trying to search around for information but haven't found much. my doctor hasn't given me a ton of information and tends to downplay any side effects from past experience. i just want to know what i might expect, acne? weight gain? is it like being on the pill or is it totally different? my doc is through the VA so he doesn't give me a ton of info.

Ha! I'm surprised your VA doctor is even considering anything that is probably not in the formulary. I'm with the VA and had to jump through hoops to get Prometrium, which is a bio-identical progesterone that did help me with heavy bleeding for a number of years, mostly by getting me on a four-five week cycle as opposed to a six week - three month cycle which gave too much time for my uterine lining to build up.

No side effects except better sleep and shorter cycles. Totally different from being on the pill.

Are you anemic from the heavy bleeding? Two forms of iron the VA gave me were completely useless. I take Thorne Research, Iron Bisglycinate now.
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ha! I'm surprised your VA doctor is even considering anything that is probably not in the formulary. I'm with the VA and had to jump through hoops to get Prometrium, which is a bio-identical progesterone that did help me with heavy bleeding for a number of years, mostly by getting me on a four-five week cycle as opposed to a six week - three month cycle which gave too much time for my uterine lining to build up.

No side effects except better sleep and shorter cycles. Totally different from being on the pill.

Are you anemic from the heavy bleeding? Two forms of iron the VA gave me were completely useless. I take Thorne Research, Iron Bisglycinate now.

it's actually a study through the Veteran's advocacy center, and my VA doc has been zero help (shocker).
    Right now my cycle is only about 3-3.5 weeks :/ it would suck if it was any shorter! as far as i know i'm not anemic, they haven't told me i am anyway.
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    The endocrinologist I used to work with never prescribed bioidenticals. His concern is that the guidelines with the margin of error were too lenient - from bottle to bottle he could never be certain that his patients were getting remotely the same amount even though the dose was the same. We mostly saw this with thyroid and testosterone, but I thought it would be worth mentioning for you to consider as you make your decision

i was wondering about the guidelines. i know they're not actually "natural". i am on so many meds right now though that i think it's stalling my weightloss. Today was crap (i had subway), but for the most part i eat around 1300=1500 cals and haven't managed to break 170 to save my life. they're saying this may help me wean off some of the meds i'm on eventually which would be nice for a myriad of reasons. i want to make sure they're worth it though
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

it's actually a study through the Veteran's advocacy center, and my VA doc has been zero help (shocker).
    Right now my cycle is only about 3-3.5 weeks :/ it would suck if it was any shorter! as far as i know i'm not anemic, they haven't told me i am anyway.

@meghanduprey - have your iron levels been tested? My anemia was first spotted in the 80s when I was "volunteered" to give blood, but I have to specifically request that test each year.
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been on bioidenticals for about a year and a half. Mine are like little grains of rice that are inserted in my tush about every four months. I'm 44 and had trouble sleeping, my hair was falling out, was cranky, tired and over all just feeling "off". My OB suggested giving it a try and I had about 13 pages of blood work done. One of the best things I've ever done for myself! I did gain a few pounds at first, but lost it; my face broke out a bit, but that too went away. I'm sleeping again, my family can actually stand to be around me, I got my energy and motivation back, not to mention that my sex drive is ridiculous :)