mfp just starting. its saying 1230 daily calorie goal...does that seem low?

Options
Advice please?!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Need more info. Age, weight and height?
  • smaverick010
    smaverick010 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    28 5"7 225
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=28&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=7&cpound=225&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.2&printit=0&x=60&y=16 Play with the activity level to get it more accurate.

According to this, 1230 is a bit high for someone who's sedentary, and a bit low for someone who works out a couple times a week. I use this calculator instead of the MFP one and have success with it.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    What did you put as your weight loss goal per week?
  • smaverick010
    smaverick010 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    2lbs???
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Two things 1) it is 1200 PLUS exercise calories - so if you workout at all you can eat more, 2) set it to a less aggressive goal and you'll have more calories available.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Two things 1) it is 1200 PLUS exercise calories - so if you workout at all you can eat more, 2) set it to a less aggressive goal and you'll have more calories available.

This

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current weight, height, age, weightloss goal, and activity level. I am overweight. 170 lbs, 5'6", 26, and am on my feet for 10-12 hours 5 days a week and am only trying to lose 1 lb a week, so I get to eat almost 2000 calories a day. If you feel like your calorie goal is too low I recommend lowering the rate you want to lose weight maybe to 1 lb. a week or incorporating more exercise so you can consume more calories.
  • gottabethin22
    gottabethin22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Considering your age and weight, it seems pretty low. You might wanna start with 1500-1600 for a healthy journey.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm 5'8" sedentary and started at about 180lb. It gave me 1200 when I said I wanted to lose 2lb and I stuck to that for about 3 mths eating carefully and taking a multi vitamin to try to get my nutrients in. It's doable in the short term but I wouldn't do it for too long for various reasons. I found I usually lost 2lb pw but a few times I lost 3+ which was too much for healthy loss so I've gradually adjusted it. I'm trying for 0.5lb now but still seem to be losing at a faster rate prob b/c I'm sedentary in the workplace but active outside. So it's trial and error! At 1200 I tried to hit my protein macro first - to minimise lean body mass loss. There's a ton of info in the stickies which I found very useful when starting out. Good luck :smiley:
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and I'm quite a bit older than you! So my needs are less :neutral: I'd try at say 1500 and reassess after a few wks. Ignore the first week results as many people get a big water loss at first (tho I didn't).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    What's your goal weight? What do you consider a reasonable amount of time to reach that weight?

Off the cuff, given your stats, the MFP daily caloric target seems about right. That said, I don't think it's sustainable to deprive yourself of that many calories for an extended period of time. A better approach might be to change your goal to one pound per week and slowly reduce your caloric target as the weight comes off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was your height and weight when I started but chose a goal of losing 1 pound per week, which is more sustainable for me. I get 1520 calories as a base and generally eat closer to 1800 due to exercise. On days when I swim and garden, I'm well into the 2000s.

Since April, I've lost 17 pounds. I understand the desire to want the weight to come off quickly, but I am personally not willing to make myself miserable in order to do it. Most days, I don't even feel like I'm dieting.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Dude, it feels low.... It felt low for me for the first 2-3 months and then my body adapted. When you exercise, you can eat more and that helps. I like to eat ~1500 calories a day so I make sure I go on a walk and practice yoga daily in order to stay in that 1200 calorie range...
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1700 calories range - and that's at complete rest for the entire 24 hours. 1200 is very low. You will feel starved all the time - it's emotionally and physically exhausting. Before you know it, you will start craving foods, and eventually binge.

I have a very strong opinion on always keeping in mind your BMR and do not eat less than that (at least not consistently and not by a lot) as providing your body with insufficient level of energy will backfire.

Start with at least 1700 calories and adjust going forward.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options

This ^^

I stuck to a net 1250 cal max for my first 4 months here ... and successfully reached my first goal. :)

And because of the exercise I was doing, I rarely ate just 1250 cal.

• shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was recommended to eat 1200 a day . . . 1200 is min. I'm doing a step down approach. I did 1800 for a little bit till I had it nailed and I wasn't feeling like I was starving to death. Then 1600 . . . now I hit between 1300-1400. I did an 1136 2 days ago . . . but I got up late. I wouldn't do 1200 unless you want to feel like you are dying all the time. and you will eventually binge on things that are not normal . . like icing and bags of sugar and peanut butter . . . straight butter . . .
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I like the step down approach. In addition, work on getting vegetables in every meal...They will increase your energy and fill your plate. I would not last very long at 1200 calories. Make sure you are logging everything, use the notes section to log your hunger level and you'll find out what works best for you.