Zumba

Options
Hi All,

I did my first Zumba class on Wednesday and loved it so much
I am going again tonight but wondered how to log the calories

I have been putting it down as dancing general or is it more areobic?

What are your thoughts lovely MFP peeps :))

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I put it in as Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern. it is a great workout because it is such fun. :)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    WEPA!

I use my HRM- it's really the best way to get an accurate reading for zumba- how many calories you burn REALLY depends on the instructor/routine/energy.

Good luck!!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I always wear my heart rate monitor and for a good hour class I burn between 450 and 550 calories!
  • mb2273
    mb2273 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun! I put it as "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern" as well. :-)
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I googled the first time "how many calories burned doing Zumba"
    and it will ask you for how long.
    After you add your ZUMBA workout to MFP the first time, it will keep it saved
    And when you come back the next time you just change the amoutn of minutes and it will recalculate
  • Thelma2011
    Options
    Hi I have put mine down as Zumba as it shows the extra calories burnt for the time you are doing it. I have been going to 1 class a week & the rest of the week I have been doing an hour at home. Since October I have now lost 1 stone. 6 inches off my bust, 3 inches from my waist & 4inches off my hips. There are loads of great zumba routines on youtube. Enjoy it does work.
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    Welcome to your newest addiction :laugh: ... All Zumba addicts know what I'm talking about. You're gonna love it. I log mine with a lady who has an HRM in my class give or take a few depending on how hard she or I go. :flowerforyou: Welcome to Zumbaland!
  • mlvalencia17
    mlvalencia17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I absolutely LOVE Zumba! I would put it under Aerobics, but I also agree that it depends on the intensity you put into it! Keep up the good work and once you keep going to classes, the routines become easier, so then you can add you're "flavor" to your workout! I love adding that little extra flavor to my workouts and even get some other classmates involved, hehe!

The best this is to have fun :)
  • edenjoy3
    edenjoy3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm going to be doing my first zumba class this Saturday..i'm so excited.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    Welcome to zumba! I love love love zumba. I have a HRM that I use and I created it based of that. On a good zumba class I can burn between 900-1100 calories. My instructor is a beast and doesn't believe in slow songs and now that I pretty much know the moves I try to keep up with her. I know if I am not dripping sweat by the 2nd song I am not doing a good job.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!!n I have a fantastic instructor and the hour just fliiiies by! I too like to add my own little moves...usually when I make a mistake but hey! that's what zumba's about!
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks all! Need to invest in a HRM. Hope they are not too expensive :))

Cant wait to go tonight im actually excited about excersize!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. MFP isn't accurate. There are too many factors to go by someone elses burn. It depends on how fit you are, the intensity in which you do the work out and the work out itself.

When I first started Zumba I was burning 800 calories...now I'm between 400-500. I still do it with the same intensity, I'm just in better shape now.
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. MFP isn't accurate. There are too many factors to go by someone elses burn. It depends on how fit you are, the intensity in which you do the work out and the work out itself.

When I first started Zumba I was burning 800 calories...now I'm between 400-500. I still do it with the same intensity, I'm just in better shape now.

Thanks! :D
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    i got my first zumba class on saturday too, and i've got another one booked for wednesday :) cant wait!!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I want to try Zumba! Do I have to learn the steps before I go? I'm really not that coordinated . . It took me a while to get up to speed on the Casper Slide :laugh:
  • Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I want to try Zumba! Do I have to learn the steps before I go? I'm really not that coordinated . . It took me a while to get up to speed on the Casper Slide :laugh:

Anyone can do zumba...go to the class, that's where you learn. You'll have a lot of fun trying it and burn calories at the same time. Good Luck!
  • Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Awesome results..you look fantastic!