pcos help!

Options
I have had pcos for a very long time and I need help. Does anyone know what to cut out of my diet? What helps with excess hair growth? Is there any vitamins that have helped with pcos?

Replies

• strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    My ex had planned pcos. She was petite and slender but carried her body fat on her waist. The doc basically said she had to lose some body fat to reverse the symptoms. She lost the weight by doing insanity and a 1500 calories diet
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have had pcos for a very long time and I need help. Does anyone know what to cut out of my diet? What helps with excess hair growth? Is there any vitamins that have helped with pcos?

Nothing. Cut nothing and do not take supplements. If you are overweight, lose the extra weight by eating less calories and f you are not physically active, move more (regardless of your weight). PCOS symptoms will get better the more you move, and the close you are to a normal to low (but still healthy) weight. For excess hair growth, if it is really bad and all over your body, talk to an endocrinologist about hormonal therapy. If it is just the usual PCOS facial hair, then pick the hair removal method you like and can afford, and go for it.
  • Pink_Giggles
    Pink_Giggles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had pcos since I was 17...Im 26 now. I take metformin for it but not the way I need to. I skip weeks at a time. Dr said if I take it like I'm supposed and exercise then the weight will come off easier then it would without metformin. As for the hair...I have no idea. I need to find something for that too. We need to cut out sugar and bread for sure. I can't remember what else though.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to prevent sugar spikes so u need to learn to link your protein and carbs.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've reversed my insulin resistance (the only real link to the diagnosis for me) by eating lots of protein and low carbs. Haven't taken my medication in ages and my figures as of 3 weeks ago are all in the normal range. Doc said high protein and fiber and low carb and that's what I was prescribed to do in the 90s when it was first discovered that I was having issues with excess insulin. I've lost only a few pounds, but have gained some muscle. This is all advice your endocrinologist should have given you, as this is pretty standard diet advice for PCOS, at least around where I live.
  • aspirehealthy
    aspirehealthy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have PCOS too, and i was told to get to a healthy weight (as im currently overweight). I was reading a few books that suggest a low GI diet. However im just trying to use portion control and exercise to get healthy x