Trying to lose a LOT of weight.

Options
I've been here for 12 days now, though not on the forums, and it's time for me to introduce myself. I am trying to lose 90lbs for my own health. I am 5'10" tall and at 290lbs, I am disgusted with myself. I don't mind being a few pounds overweight - my boyfriends like big girls, and I think he is a bit concerned about me wanting to lose weight, but is supportive - but being over 100lbs overweight is affecting my health. I'm tired all the time, my ankles hurt all the time any more (ruined them when I was 14), my knees pop mercilessly just climbing stairs (it doesn't hurt. it just sounds like rice krispies.) and I am tired of being in pain, being tired, and being this huge. I am trying desperately to take control of myself by not eating so much, and by making healthier choices, such as reducing my fat and sugar intake, but I will not lie and say it is easy. I'm tempted all the time, and though I've stuck pretty well to my daily limitations (excepting sodium - that one's a bugger to keep under), there are times when I just want a burger, or a burrito, or fries, or something that is otherwise too high in fat, carbs, or sugar. I slipped up this weekend - there was a company picnic and they had KFC; in fact, that was all they had - but today is a bit better, if no less tempting.

Anyway, all of that is to say this: support would be great. Tips would be just as good. For the 12 days I've been here, so far I've lost only 1lb, even though I only went over my caloric goal maybe twice, and have had some form of exercise every day.

Replies

• jaclynxanne
    jaclynxanne Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keep hanging in there!!! My boyfriend completely supports me even though he himself is overweight. And the worst part is the cravings, I literally smelled my boyfriends Mac and cheese the other night because I wanted to eat it lol but I didn't!! So just take one day at a time and do the best you can, results always come slowly
  • CarlanaVanHouten
    CarlanaVanHouten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know the cravings feel.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been here for 12 days now, though not on the forums, and it's time for me to introduce myself. I am trying to lose 90lbs for my own health. I am 5'10" tall and at 290lbs, I am disgusted with myself. I don't mind being a few pounds overweight - my boyfriends like big girls, and I think he is a bit concerned about me wanting to lose weight, but is supportive - but being over 100lbs overweight is affecting my health. I'm tired all the time, my ankles hurt all the time any more (ruined them when I was 14), my knees pop mercilessly just climbing stairs (it doesn't hurt. it just sounds like rice krispies.) and I am tired of being in pain, being tired, and being this huge. I am trying desperately to take control of myself by not eating so much, and by making healthier choices, such as reducing my fat and sugar intake, but I will not lie and say it is easy. I'm tempted all the time, and though I've stuck pretty well to my daily limitations (excepting sodium - that one's a bugger to keep under), there are times when I just want a burger, or a burrito, or fries, or something that is otherwise too high in fat, carbs, or sugar. I slipped up this weekend - there was a company picnic and they had KFC; in fact, that was all they had - but today is a bit better, if no less tempting.

Anyway, all of that is to say this: support would be great. Tips would be just as good. For the 12 days I've been here, so far I've lost only 1lb, even though I only went over my caloric goal maybe twice, and have had some form of exercise every day.

BTW, hello and welcome!!!!

1) Get a food scale and use it as much as possible

2) Exercise. If you're into cardio (walking, hiking, running) as exercise, consider getting an activity tracker (I have a fitbit) in order to track your calorie burns.

3) Make sure you leave yourself a few hundred calories "on the table," at the end of most days of logging, in order to cushion you against the invariable human tendency to underestimate how much food you consume. We all do it. So plan for it.

4) Consider setting your loss goals on the slightly more aggressive side (1-1.5 pounds per week, perhaps 2 if you're gutsy). You probably can lose more easily since you're more overweight now. The benefit of doing this is you get to see success pretty quickly, which can be highly reinforcing. It's easier, certainly, to go for more modest loss goals (e.g., a half to a pound per week), but its sometimes harder to see progress that way - which can be discouraging.

Anyways, those would be my suggestions

BTW I totally love KFC. :wink:
  • jcc328
    jcc328 Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from! I had lost over 100 pounds about 5 years ago and it was very difficult to keep with it, navigate the lows and not get too arrogant when I had losses, but it can be done with the right environment and attitude. The number one thing you can do is join with others who share in your struggle. Receiving and giving support helps keep you on track. The next best thing to do is recognize you aren't perfect and when you have a backslide realize it is okay to forgive yourself and get back on track with the next decision you are presented. Unfortunately I stopped visiting my weight loss community, old habits crept back in and now I have to lose those same pounds plus even a few more extra all over again. I have spent the last few months feeling sorry for myself and all that accomplished was adding another 10 pounds to have to take off. We didn't arrive at these weights overnight and we won't get rid of them quickly either but if we work together meal by meal, workout by workout, day by day and share our struggles and successes we can do it.
  • CarlanaVanHouten
    Options
    DrEnlag: I have a food scale and just got myself an HRM that I'm wearing right now. I do typically leave a little cushioning, not even accounting for calories gained in exercise, and my weight loss goals are set to 2lbs/week weight loss. Unfortunately, I've seen no progress. Thank you, though! I was getting really frustrated, so I read some tips and only got the new scale last night (I had one I was using, but it is very old and not really reliable) as well as the HRM. And yeah, that was the company picnic. That was all they had, was KFC and cake, and it is so hard to say no to one of their biscuits.;)

jcc328: Thank you! Right now I'm kind of jittery almost from having to rush through cleaning the apartment while cooking for my boyfriend and baking a cake for my brother (his birthday is today) - one which I will not partake of, because it has too much sugar T_T - so I'm a little stuck in this go go go mode. Listening to the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 doesn't help much either. xD It really moves a lot! I should be, too, but I'm eating lunch and trying to check my stuff. But yes, I do know that struggle. I really did not put this weight on overnight and it's not going away overnight (much as we would all like that to happen). I have the worst time with self-control when I'm eating in public, such as a picnic, banquet, or a potluck at church, or when I am down in the dumps. I do have problems with depression, and there is this in-between state for me where I feel depressed, but not so much that I don't eat - I have been so depressed that I consumed fewer than 500 calories a day for several days running. In that state, it is more like I just don't care any more, and thus pork out. Fortunately, that is improving, and I have fewer bad days, so that part, at least, has not been a problem since I've started. Well, not more than once, and even then I stuck to the new diet anyway. Anyway! Thank you, both of you!
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    add me would love to be of help and support I have been there myself
  • justbreath77
    justbreath77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Will you please add me? I as well have over 100 to lose. I am 37 and weigh in at 286. Feeling VERY defeated as I have NO support. My family are all thin and talk about sweets and eat in front of me all the time...just want to cry
  • brie_don44
    brie_don44 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 25 years old and need to loose 100 pounds as well. I'm sick of how I look and feel about myself. Feel free to add me, any support we can give each other would be awesome, seeing as I get frustrated with the whole "no results issue" as well :neutral:
  • darl7733
    darl7733 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are saying about how hard it is to dight cravings. Chocolate is what gives me a hard time. Actually, chocolate milk is so hard for me. But what I do to stay on track is take it one meal, and one snack at a time. I also took a selfie of me and put it on the fridge. It reminds me of what I am working for.
  • CarlanaVanHouten
    Options
    I eat protein bars that have chocolate and that helps me. They are not too sweet, not bad on fat and sugar.