Make your own Greek Yogurt.

Options
realia
realia Posts: 169 Member
I found this recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/greek-yogurt-recipe/index.html. It's quite simple but it takes awhile.

Make your own Greek yogurt:
Line a sieve with a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Place 4 cups plain whole-milk yogurt in the filter and refrigerate for 12 hours (you'll get about 2 cups thick yogurt). Divide among bowls; top with honey, dried fruit and walnuts. Serve with almond cookies.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    any Idea what the nutritional info is after you do that?
  • realia
    Options
    any Idea what the nutritional info is after you do that?
    I think it depends on what yogurt you use.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    seems like a waste of time and money. why not just buy greek yogurt???
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There was a thread about a week ago titled "Anyone make their own yogurt?" that taught step by step how to make yogurt from milk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I use a nylon stocking to strain. It's fairly fast.

Then I just use the nutritional info for Greek yogurt. The cost is a little less than buying pre-strained Greek yogurt if you can buy extra large containers of regular yogurt to use.
  • realia
    Options
    just sharin'.
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Why so negative? Some people prefer to make their own food.
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I've been thinking about trying this for a while; I love Greek yogurt but it is very expensive (twice the cost of regular0 and getting more so daily. I Googled and found this article. Also I found a link to how to make your own yogurt in a crock pot (just bought one) which would make it even cheaper. http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/02/make-yogurt-in-your-crock-pot/ Thing you need is time and space in the fridge!

Greek Yogurt: Worth the Price?

<snip> Greek yogurt has a thicker, creamier consistency (even the fat free versions) as compared to standard yogurt.

Aside from the consistency factor, the nutritional comparisons make the Greek yogurt a good choice for many. Side by side comparisons to regular yogurt show that the Greek style yogurts generally have a lower carbohydrate and sugar content and are much higher in protein. While a standard 6 oz. cup of light yogurt has about 16-19 grams of carbohydrate and sugars, the 5.3 oz cup of Greek yogurt usually has about 12 grams of carbohydrate and sugars. Light yogurts typically have 5 grams of protein per 6 oz. cup while Greek yogurt boasts 14-15 grams of protein. Calorie comparisons of light vs. Greek nonfat yogurts are pretty close: about 110 calories per serving for either.

For a diabetic or someone counting their carbs, Greek yogurt can work out very well as a healthful snack. The higher protein content is more filling and satisfying, especially as a between meal snack.

One area where regular yogurt surpasses the Greek versions is the calcium content. The extra straining process for Greek yogurt results in calcium being strained off as well. Regular yogurt contains 350-400 mg calcium per serving vs. Greek yogurt at 200 mg. per serving.
    Aside from the nutritional differences between the yogurts, there is also the cost factor to consider. In general, Greek yogurt is more expensive and typically is around twice the price of regular yogurt. Despite the heftier price, I find myself gravitating more toward the Greek yogurt, because it fits my need for an afternoon snack that is low in calories and a good source of protein.

Whatever you decide, your choice to include yogurt in your diet is probably not a bad one. Do some taste comparisons, cost comparisons and if you’re so inclined try making your own Greek yogurt. I’ve included a link below by Mark Bittman of the New York Times, who describes an easy way to do it yourself. Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/dining/17mini.html?ref=dining
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Actually, it does save a lot of money. Greek yogurt is a lot pricier than plain yogurt. I've used coffee filters and made my own Greek yogurt as well.
  • realia
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I've been thinking about trying this for a while; I love Greek yogurt but it is very expensive (twice the cost of regular0 and getting more so daily. I Googled and found this article. Also I found a link to how to make your own yogurt in a crock pot (just bought one) which would make it even cheaper. http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/02/make-yogurt-in-your-crock-pot/ Thing you need is time and space in the fridge!

Greek Yogurt: Worth the Price?

<snip> Greek yogurt has a thicker, creamier consistency (even the fat free versions) as compared to standard yogurt.

Aside from the consistency factor, the nutritional comparisons make the Greek yogurt a good choice for many. Side by side comparisons to regular yogurt show that the Greek style yogurts generally have a lower carbohydrate and sugar content and are much higher in protein. While a standard 6 oz. cup of light yogurt has about 16-19 grams of carbohydrate and sugars, the 5.3 oz cup of Greek yogurt usually has about 12 grams of carbohydrate and sugars. Light yogurts typically have 5 grams of protein per 6 oz. cup while Greek yogurt boasts 14-15 grams of protein. Calorie comparisons of light vs. Greek nonfat yogurts are pretty close: about 110 calories per serving for either.

For a diabetic or someone counting their carbs, Greek yogurt can work out very well as a healthful snack. The higher protein content is more filling and satisfying, especially as a between meal snack.

One area where regular yogurt surpasses the Greek versions is the calcium content. The extra straining process for Greek yogurt results in calcium being strained off as well. Regular yogurt contains 350-400 mg calcium per serving vs. Greek yogurt at 200 mg. per serving.
    Aside from the nutritional differences between the yogurts, there is also the cost factor to consider. In general, Greek yogurt is more expensive and typically is around twice the price of regular yogurt. Despite the heftier price, I find myself gravitating more toward the Greek yogurt, because it fits my need for an afternoon snack that is low in calories and a good source of protein.

Whatever you decide, your choice to include yogurt in your diet is probably not a bad one. Do some taste comparisons, cost comparisons and if you’re so inclined try making your own Greek yogurt. I’ve included a link below by Mark Bittman of the New York Times, who describes an easy way to do it yourself. Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/dining/17mini.html?ref=dining
    No problem! The reason why I posted this is because I wanted to taste Greek yogurt but they don't sell it around my house. I'd have to take a bus or a car to a market 15 mins away instead of the market across the street from me. It doesn't make sense to spend money on transportation and the pricey yogurt when I could just make it on my own. I thought I should share it. :)
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Actually, it does save a lot of money. Greek yogurt is a lot pricier than plain yogurt. I've used coffee filters and made my own Greek yogurt as well.

really? twice as much though?
    up here it's pretty much the same price as regular yogurt. they even have store brand greek yogurt which has 18g of protein per serving
  • Earthboundmsft
    Options
    I make my own Greek yoghurt from scratch in a crock pot. It's a little time consuming, but it saves me a lot of money :)
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. I make it from the cheapest fat free plain I can get, which saves a lot of $. Have it almost every day w/ granola. If you let it get really dry, it is very close to cream cheese. I've been trying to make some kind of dessert out of it (sort of like a mousse) but have not had a lot of success.