feet go numb

Options
I use an elliptical 4-5 times per week for 30-45 minutes at a time. By about the 15 minute mark by toes and sometimes the rest of my feet end up going totally numb. I push through it and force myself to go the additional time but it is starting to be a hindrance on my workouts. I have tried multiple different shoes I own and I seem to have this result no matter what.

Does anyone else experience this and have any explanations or suggestions?

Replies

• Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    My feet use to go numb just walking the dog or running for more than 10 minutes. I now use arch support insoles and have not had this issue since then.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have had this but I don't know why. I only use the gym when it's raining or icey so I hope others have some ideas. Must be something to do with your foot positioning I would guess??
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Its a common problem and I don't think there is any way around it. I have awesome shoes, with gel inserts, and no matter what I get numb feet. It's just the constant pressure from using the elliptical, and the only real way around it is to pick up your feet with each "step". Kind of like you're running on the elliptical. I also have found that rocking your foot back and forth for a few seconds when it starts to get tingly helps. But short of that, I don't have a good solution.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine do this too on the x trainer, I know it happens to other people too... no idea what to suggest, I just suffer it...
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had the smae problem after a few minutes, no issue now when running 30 mins plus...

I use a supporting trainer rather than a cushion type for over pronation (a lot of peple do). I also use a shoe one size bigger than normal so my feet aren't so cramped.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have this when running a lot, although I don't know why I'm beginning to think it may be my shoes.

Are your shoes right for your feet if that makes sense?

Also I'll watch this to see other's ideas
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I get this on the treadmill and when I do aerobics....
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This must be normal because I also do elliptical for 45-60 minutes per session. Usually happens around 15-20 minutes in. What I do is try and wiggle my toes and also change pedal position to going backwards for about ten minutes. I don't think it has anything to do with shoes. Just the pressure on the feet when pumping. Eventually it stops. I have been doing elliptical for about a year now and no more numb/tingling feet. Don't let it stop you!
  • triciah48
    triciah48 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to- I thought I was imagining it. My only guess is that it's the positioning/angle of your feet & ankle movement. My gym has two kinds of elliptical trainers and my feet always go numb on one of them, but the other brand is fine. Wish I had a better answer for us both!
  • triciah48
    triciah48 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to- I thought I was imagining it. My only guess is that it's the positioning/angle of your feet & ankle movement. My gym has two kinds of elliptical trainers and my feet always go numb on one of them, but the other brand is fine. Wish I had a better answer for us both!
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I even went to a local running company that fits shoes for marathon runners and bought a custom pair of shoes. Nada helps. I think it's just the tilt of the elliptical. I've never got it completely to go away however I've found that if I alternate my direction (do the machine backwards) a few times throughout my exercise it helps!!
  • gendavis
    gendavis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback. Glad to know it is not just me! I will try shoe gel inserts as well as shifting my rotation to go backwards every once in a while. Good suggestions. But I won't let it stop me either way! My elliptical is my life saver :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    this is a pretty typical condition for runners/elliptical users. I've been told to try and loosen my shoe laces, move foot position, and finally - visit a podiatrist. I found out my inserts were causing it, and since my podiatrist fixed them, the issue has gone away.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I used to get this too but it just turned out that the trainers were too tight for my feet and/or tied too tightly! :blushing:
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me haha and I wear properly fitted running shoes to the gym.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i used to get this when i was using an elliptical with no incline adjustment. like other responders said, constant pressure on the foot causes it. you can try and lift your foot up on each step. Or if you have an incline adjustment, make it a bit steeper, it has the same effect.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    Shape Ups. I don't really believe that they help you lose weight or anything, but they are very comfortable and stopped my feet going numb on the elliptical.