no matter if the scale still in the same weight.. remember that muscle is heavier than fat!

Options
when I started (first month) with my ''eat-live healthy plan'' I lost 25 pounds! now is my second month and the scale says I still in the same weight xD but my clothes are saying: omg! who are you? xD that's what really matter. focus on fat loss! not weight loss.. :)

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Muscle is not heavier than fat. A pound weighs 16 ounces, no matter what is is made of.
  • psalm6932
    psalm6932 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat- scale is not showing a huge weight loss but my clothes are falling off. Keep it up! I get discouraged when the scale doesn't move but we are on the right track. :)
  • nona_maluku
    nona_maluku Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Muscle is not heavier than fat. A pound weighs 16 ounces, no matter what is is made of.

Muscle is heavier than fat as in if you have 1 cm2 of muscle it will be heavier than 1 cm2 of fat. If you have 2 houses where 1 is made of paper and one of wood but besides that there the same size the wooden house will be heavier too....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Muscle is heavier than fat as in if you have 1 cm2 of muscle it will be heavier than 1 cm2 of fat. If you have 2 houses where 1 is made of paper and one of wood but besides that there the same size the wooden house will be heavier too....

1 pound of fat = 1 pound of fat
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat!!
  • queenliz99
    Options

Uh no!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Fat is less dense than muscle so it takes up more space than muscle. However, one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Putting to some side the muscle weighs more than fat issue, aside from newbie gains from lifting it is highly unlikely that you gain muscle while eating at a deficit. Gaining muscle doesn't just happen, it takes a lot of work and happens slowly.
  • beckh87
    beckh87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Still looking to add some more peers on here. I have loved the feedback and support thus far & genuinely feel pleased to log in each day and cheer on others on their journey! Please feel free to add me!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

No it doesn't. A 1lb of fat is a 1lb of muscle. The muscle is more dense and takes up less space.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Fat is less dense than muscle so it takes up more space than muscle. However, one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat.

^ Yep! That's why your clothes fit better even though you weigh the same. Muscle is more dense, more compact, so your clothes fit better, while weighing the same. 1lb is 1lb.

I think this is what OP was trying to say based on her statement above about her clothes fitting better (focus on fat loss not weight loss, etc).
  • livluvlift
    livluvlift Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

^ Yep! That's why your clothes fit better even though you weigh the same. Muscle is more dense, more compact, so your clothes fit better, while weighing the same. 1lb is 1lb.

I think this is what OP was trying to say based on her statement above about her clothes fitting better (focus on fat loss not weight loss, etc).

This!

• Brendamoris
    Brendamoris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes! A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle .. it is a pound! but clearly the pound of muscle takes up less space .. that's what I mean! the important thing is to lose fat! My friend lost fat while gaining muscle training in the comfort of his home with his own equipment and that's what I'm doing! so .. I encourage! Forget the scale and focus on moving forward .. because that was the problem I had in the past,
    discouraged to see the balance in the same weight .. (sorry if my english is not perfect, I had so much time without practice) :smiley: greetings to all! <3<3
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your transformation OP!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be a jerk here, but:

Building muscle in a caloric deficit is unlikely unless you've just started lifting heavy

Stalls are natural and to be expected

Sometimes you will lose inches and not lose weight--I have lost inches since I hit maintenance, but have only lost 1 additional pound since then

If your stall persists for more than a few weeks, check your logging--use the recipe builder instead of homemade or generic entries and buy a food scale

Congrats to you for losing 25 pounds!

• boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    muscle is denser than fat, a pound is still a pound and most people overestimate how much muscle they are actually putting on. its suprising how long it takes to add 1lb of muscle throughout your body, especially as a woman! when my weight loss stalls Ive told myself that its probably becase I'm putting on so much muscle with my intense training, but that's a lie. I'm actually just eating at maintenance becase working out makes me hungry :-)
  • maryamalr
    maryamalr Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Building muscle in a caloric deficit is unlikely unless you've just started lifting heavy

Sometimes you will lose inches and not lose weight--I have lost inches since I hit maintenance, but have only lost 1 additional pound since then

If your stall persists for more than a few weeks, check your logging--use the recipe builder instead of homemade or generic entries and buy a food scale

I honestly built muscle on a deficit especially since I started as a newbie as well and now I've been lifting for 4 months daily and I've also gained strength at a deficit and continued to build more muscle even when I wasn't eating at a maintance or a surplus, so no actually it is possible to make gains it just takes a longer time since it's not during a bulking phase. It's lean muscle gain, look up more about it, you can have a simple deficit while building muscle, it isn't impossible to achieve, I didn't believe in it until I saw it happen to me and I've watched a YouTube video by a trainer that also clarifies and has more than 10 clients that were able to do the same at a deficit, building lean muscle in size and also gaining a six pack during their deficit diets (both women and men, skinny/normal/fat body types) it just took them a longer time to achieve it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Oh here we go, this old topic.
    Should be fun.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat when comparing equal volumes.
    Muscle takes up less space than fat when comparing equal weights.

"Muscle takes up less space than fat" is just as inaccurate as "muscle weighs more than fat" and I don't understand why anyone thinks that it's a correction that needs to be made.

Now is there any chance we can give up the pedantic argument that's been done to death and focus on the bigger picture: it's damn hard to put on enough new muscle that it shows on the scale in the time frames most people are talking about when they stall.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    maryamalr wrote: »

I honestly built muscle on a deficit especially since I started as a newbie as well and now I've been lifting for 4 months daily and I've also gained strength at a deficit and continued to build more muscle even when I wasn't eating at a maintance or a surplus, so no actually it is possible to make gains it just takes a longer time since it's not during a bulking phase. It's lean muscle gain, look up more about it, you can have a simple deficit while building muscle, it isn't impossible to achieve, I didn't believe in it until I saw it happen to me and I've watched a YouTube video by a trainer that also clarifies and has more than 10 clients that were able to do the same at a deficit, building lean muscle in size and also gaining a six pack during their deficit diets (both women and men, skinny/normal/fat body types) it just took them a longer time to achieve it.

Newbie gains, covered it in the post you quoted. It is unlikely that someone--especially a female--is going to see much of a gain on the scale in one month.

I never said you can't gain strength at a deficit. You undoubtedly can. But strength gain =/= muscle gain.

I also did not say that it was impossible. I said that it was unlikely. Especially with an OP who is working out at home on unspecified equipment. Once again, OP has been doing this for a month.

Nothing you had to say was relevant to the OP but you do you, I guess.