How much exercise?

Options
im 280 and would like to lose 60-80 pounds. I've been going to the gym everyday for one hour of not more. Half cardio half the time strength training. Am I going too often, to long? How often should I be exercising.

Replies

• ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You should aime to workout at higher intensity 4 times a week with throwing in things like yoga and the like other days. I workout 6 days a week, but not always at hcigh intensity. I did yoga today after doing pretty high intensity workouts most of the week. Do as much as you can without injury. If you are just sore one day, work a different muscle group the next or take a rest day if it is really painful. Let your body tell you. It takes some time to get your body in the right frame, but you'll get there. Just keep going. You can do it
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I stated at 248 lbs I'm now 183 i work out at the gym for about 2.5 hours 4 days then rest day then 4 days then rest i do 25 minutes running then 1 hour strength and finish with 35 minutes run, lots of stretching important . All that exercise is good for health and helps with my deficit. The main thing to do for losing weight is to maintain a healthy calorie deficit, you can lose without exercise.
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but that does seem like a LOT of exercise to maintain. Rest and recuperation is important too. Listen to your body...if you feel overly exhausted or start having minor injuries, definitely add in 1-2 days of rest. You can also have "active rest" days, where you stay busy, but don't go to the gym. :)