The Honey and I need to loose...

Options
Hello,

My other half and I have decided that enough was enough with the extra baggage around the middle and want to loose the weight by Christmas and the FRIGID Wisconsin winters. Now we have a issue... we both have come to eat more than we like to admit of fast food, products out of a box, and processed foods. We would like any suggestions, lunch ideas, and recipes to eating more healthy and able to loose this weight. Also if there is any suggestions for an exercise that we could do instead of the basics. Greatly appreciate any assistance in this quest for a new lifestyle.

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! That's great that you decided to lose weight together. It will probably be easier if you can keep each other accountable, or even make a little competition out of it where the winner gets something special for Christmas as a reward. That always keeps me motivated :)

When you're at the grocery store, try to stick to the outside perimeter and out of the aisles. the aisles are where all the processed junk is. Obviously there are some exceptions as you'll need staples like: Olive oil, salad dressings, nuts/seeds, beans, etc. But if you can make the majority of your purchases fresh fruits and veggies, meat or seafood, high protein yogurts for breakfast, you'll most certainly clean up your diet. From personal experience (and reading other people's experiences) it will take about a month for your taste buds to adjust until you stop craving processed and high-carb foods. So if you can stick it out for that long it will be easier after that.

For exercising, just do what you like and what you can maintain from now until Christmas. As long as you're moving your body, increasing your heart rate and rate of respiration, and having fun really anything goes. Even walking is great to start and is something you can always do together. Also, to change your body composition don't forget to lift weights. A lot of people focus just on cardio and forget to tone! There are some great youtube videos of exercises that you can do at home.

Good luck!
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you have space try growing some things to eat - I have a garden full of veggies and it makes me much more motivated to eat greenery if its in the garden going to waste otherwise. If you're short on space/time window boxes and potted plants are easy to maintain but rewarding too!
    Good luck for your weight loss - don't be discouraged if you dont lose the same as each other. My other half is male, has an active job and eats whatever he likes and still loses weight quicker than me. Its hard not to hate him but I just keep plodding along...
  • tbauer1210
    tbauer1210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When does the amount of food you crave or "need" to feel full go down? His problem is that at the evening meal, because he has had smaller meals for lunch and breakfast than what his norm was, he is HUNGRY and wants to eat extra helpings and more than he should. I shouldn't make it sound like it is all about him, this is my struggle too...
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    eat protein with each meal helps....as for recipes I use skinnytaste.com , emilybites.com, canyoustayfordinner.com , chef-in-training.com and eat-yourself-skinny.com
  • Bailey197
    Bailey197 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For working at home or the office, the Sworkit app awesome especially when you want to go out in the cold weather. I also like that it doesn't require you to buy anything just using your own body weight.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Have you both inputted your stats into MFP or a similar calculator and worked out how many calories you should each be eating a day to lose weight? I would be willing to bet he probably needs to consume more calories than you to stay full and still lose weight, if you are both eating exactly the same portion sizes of everything then it could be that he genuinely needs to eat more throughout the day.