YMCA

Options
Does anyone belong? I have a meeting with the accounting director next week, since our income covers all the bills and only leaves a small amount left over for food etc I can get a membership for $14 a month, I like it because they have some cool things my 10yr old likes, bad thing is the closet place is 25 miles so thats a 50mile round trip, and with Gas Im wondering if I should just work out at home IDK they do have alot more including a sauna which I love... And my kids can get involved in camping trips.

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have a membership for my family and boy do we love it! I go there during the day for a couple hours, and even my trainer works out of there too. The treadmills, the pool everything is wonderful, if you can make the trip there I highly suggest it!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have kinda the same situation where my nearest YMCA is quite a ways away. I just workout at home but I'm sure my 10, 5 and 3 year old would love it though. Gas prices are ridiculous and that is part of the reason why it would not work for me :grumble:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I belong to my local YMCA and love it. They offer a wide range of fitness classes and other classes for adults and kids. A lot of different choices -classes, gym, pools etc so you don't get bored doing the same workouts.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    The Y is great. I would certainly give it my endorsement. Ours has free childcare through age 8 or so. Plus you will have membership priviliges nationwide when you travel. That being said, I often find it more convenient to exercise at home.
  • soonermommy3
    Options
    We love it! My 10 and 8yr olds love the classes that are offered for kids their age, especially Zumba! There are soo many options for them, including sports, that I am so glad we decided to join. There are many classes that i enjoy taking too! I think the membership would be worth it, even if you could only make the trip a few times a week.
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got our family membership a couple weeks ago. We love going!! The kids LOVE the kid zone and swimming in the pool. I love that I can bring them to work out with me. But my YMCA is less than a mile from my house.
  • dogluvr73
    dogluvr73 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have a mustang which is decent on gas as long as I fill it up, it needs a tune up for better gas milage, this one near me doesnt have a pool (i cant swim but my kids the water) they have socceer, basketball and other things for my 10yr old and then when my daughter is in highschool which is this upcoming school year she can workout without me, We went to Zumba at the gym by my house, their membership is expensive so I went to one class for $6 we all went my girls did 45 min out of the hour so that was pretty good.. It was hard Im going to go this upcoming Monday, they also have kickboxing on Thursday for the same price. I just cant afford $40 a month for a membership plus they make you do direct deposit and commit to 6 months or a yr with a down payment. but for $14 a month I hink it will be ok and go a few times per week..

When I take the kids to a pool in the winter its indoor and costs $5 for 90 minutes, usually we go to the local beach that has all kinds of things nature trails, fishing, beaches, and a new water park and petting zoo and then all the winter activites $25 yearly pass I like that place I can go on a nature walk (no pets tho) and if you bring bird seed birds will fly and sit on your hand and eat kinda cool
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the YMCA!!! they have fun activities and the staff is amazing!
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    bearinthebigbluehouse Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to love the Y and was a member for about 8 years. Now I can't afford it anymore, every year the price goes up and now it would cost me 56/month for just my membership. That's way too much! My Y is old and small and I don't think it's worth it. I thought the Y was suppose less then other gyms, and mine is not. I miss it a lot and my spinning classes!! I got great results from spinning!