C25K

Has anyone managed to complete the C25K program from being unfit and a none runner? How did you find it? Any tips? I'm 40+ and just completed day 2. At the moment I can't imagine getting to week 8 and running continuously without walking in between.

Replies

• cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    You'll be amazed at how quickly you can progress to the 5k. I started the C25k 2 years ago (when I was 45). I had been walking 3-4 days/week for about 3 months before I started the program. I switched to the 10:1 method of run/walk after about halfway through the C25k though. It has been a better method for me. I've run many 5k and 10k races since then and am now training for my first half marathon next month. Good luck to you!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I started and graduated from C25K in my 50s and had never run before. It's a great program for making this happen for you. I'm still running 3x a week, two years later.
    Run slower than you're running now. The slower you run, the more you'll feel the success. You'll get stronger and faster over time. The program is meant to build up your stamina; not your speed.
    Get good shoes. Take an old pair of sneakers to a running store. From the worn treads, they will be able to see which type of shoe you need. While there, pick up a pair or two of wicking socks.

You can do this. Just take it one day at a time and don't think about Week 8. You'll be ready for it when you get there. Trust the program; it works.

Congratulations on getting started.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 208 Member
    You can do it! If it feels too hard, slow down. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/tips-for-beginner-runners
  • KarenPlimmer2014
    KarenPlimmer2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you guys for your advice. It's encouraging to hear that you've managed the program. I think I'm going to concentrate on each run and not looking so far ahead at week 8.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    I did it a few years ago - in my late 20's and NEVER a runner. Finished it and kept running until life changed (I had twins) in my early 30's. I'm 36 now, and my kids turn 3 in December -I am just starting to try and reclaim some fitness.
    I am up to the end of week 5 so my next run is 20mins! Nervous, but I know I can do it despite being a few years older and 40lb heavier than I was last time. I am also doing it on a treadmill at the gym before my kids get up and taking it SLOW.
    Good music makes all the difference for me, im refining what kind of tunes I need to keep moving.
  • KarenPlimmer2014
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I started and graduated from C25K in my 50s and had never run before. It's a great program for making this happen for you. I'm still running 3x a week, two years later.
    Run slower than you're running now. The slower you run, the more you'll feel the success. You'll get stronger and faster over time. The program is meant to build up your stamina; not your speed.
    Get good shoes. Take an old pair of sneakers to a running store. From the worn treads, they will be able to see which type of shoe you need. While there, pick up a pair or two of wicking socks.

You can do this. Just take it one day at a time and don't think about Week 8. You'll be ready for it when you get there. Trust the program; it works.

Congratulations on getting started.
    Thank you guys for your advice. It's encouraging to hear that you've managed the program. I think I'm going to concentrate on each run and not looking so far ahead at week 8.
    carlyp79 wrote: »
    I did it a few years ago - in my late 20's and NEVER a runner. Finished it and kept running until life changed (I had twins) in my early 30's. I'm 36 now, and my kids turn 3 in December -I am just starting to try and reclaim some fitness.
    I am up to the end of week 5 so my next run is 20mins! Nervous, but I know I can do it despite being a few years older and 40lb heavier than I was last time. I am also doing it on a treadmill at the gym before my kids get up and taking it SLOW.
    Good music makes all the difference for me, im refining what kind of tunes I need to keep moving.

• KarenPlimmer2014
    Good luck for week 5
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Just to echo what others have said. I completed the whole program about 2 years ago, starting from nothing, when I was 44. I repeated week 4 twice because week 5 scared me but then made it through to the end after not having done any running for more than 20 years.

(I then stopped running again when it got cold and I restarted this summer and I'm back up to week 5 on my 2nd time through.) Buy better winter gear and you won't be a slacker like me! You can do this!