too much fiber??????????

Options
So I am already over my fiber for the day, but I thought fiber was good for you and helped to make you feel full? So why should I only have so much of it? is it ok to go over as long as I am over with healthy foods?

Replies

• lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it- fiber is fine. Just make sure you drink lots of water, fiber without lots of water can have a binding effect.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    i think your fiber is set too low.

Americians typically only get 10-15 gram a day-
    we should be getting 25-30 a day.
    I wouldnt jump up too high to fast or else there might be some tummy issues ;) and i wouldn't go higher than 40.
  • jabba11
    jabba11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You should really only be concerened about getting enough ot about getting too much unless its giving you intestinial distress..
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It may give you uncomfortable gas....
  • armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    never had a problem unless I eat too much salad or veggies but yes I do notice when I don't drink my water I have other issuses.

My fiber is set at 16 is there any way to change it?
  • helvetikat
    helvetikat Posts: 21
    Options
    never had a problem unless I eat too much salad or veggies but yes I do notice when I don't drink my water I have other issuses.

My fiber is set at 16 is there any way to change it?

I was having the same problem (went over on fiber limit every day), so I just now switched my limit to 25.
    To do this, go to Goals under My Home. Then, click Change Goals. You'll need to select the Custom option, then click Continue. From there, you can manually change your fiber limit in the left column. Click Change Goals, and you're done!

Hope that helps.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It may give you uncomfortable gas....

I take probiotics to avoid that. Those little suckers work hard in my gut, and I have no issues!
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    MFP sets fiber ridiculously low at around 15 grams. Adults should be getting 30-35 grams of fiber per day - which I see you achieved on Friday :-)

I am on some medications that have affected my digestion and I now generally consume 45-50 grams of fiber per day (my diary is open if you want to have a peek). Fiber is great for a healthy heart, healthy digestive system and for lowering cholesterol. As others said just make sure you up your water intake.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Nah, my doctor said you can have upwards of 120g of fiber a day and still be ok.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Nah, my doctor said you can have upwards of 120g of fiber a day and still be ok.