effects of under-eating?

Options
I discovered MFP earlier this month. My goal is to lose 2 pounds per week, which is the maximum MFP allows. MFP calculates that I need to eat 1500 calories per day to lose that amount, but I frequently find myself eating in the 1300 range (it's good enough to satisfy my hunger and I'm seeing the desired results). Is this gonna be a problem for me down the line? For example, I've heard that under-eating causes your metabolism to drop, which could make weight maintenance harder in the long run. I anticipate that I'll need to keep this diet up for about 3 months to reach my goal weight. Havent needed to exercise.

Replies

• vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    you might see big weight changes in the beginning, but unfortunately it's not all fat loss, most people will lose muscle mass too and water weight. I suggest doing some at least moderate stength training like at least pushups, situps, squats, etc. generally they say it's easier to keep weight off if it was lost slowly. if you are under eating you mght feel hungry or more tired eventually.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    A healthy range of weight loss at the start is 1-2lbs per week though this varies from person to person. The bottom line, every one is different. You will most likely lose more within the first couple of weeks but after that, 1-2lbs is a slow, steady and healthy rate of loss. Stick to your calories and eat more protein based foods to tot up the amount.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd try to eat those 1500 if you can do that and still lose weight. It may get harder to lose later in your journey. You may wish to cut your calories down. You're going to want to have something to cut if that happens.

If you're too stuffed on 1300 to consider eating more, drink some juice. Juice is a really easy way to add bunches of calories.