Deflated

For this last week I have cut out alcohol, followed a superb diet with minimal carbs, and run 3 miles a day with one rest day. Last Friday weighed 10st 7.25 today weighed 10st 9. Feeling a bit low.....any words of support?

Replies

• Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    Get out the tape measure you might be surprised, also holding water due to muscle repair? Or due to menstruate. These things all make me gain and I get really upset also to the point of derailing, But I get out the tape measure and I usually see a half inch loss on my tummy.
  • suzyleach
    suzyleach Posts: 5 Member
    maybe I'll do that....was so disappointed when I got on the scales.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Keep at it--it takes more that one week of "being good"!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Are you actually logging your calories? You can "eat well" and still eat too much. Alcohol and carbs by themselves aren't inherently bad, they're just easy ways to increase calorie intake unwittingly.

But yeah, one week isn't enough, 4-6 weeks is more like it, especially as you've just started exercising too. Patience! It didn't go on in a week so it's not going to come off in a week either.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    What constitutes a "superb" diet in the context of your weight loss?
  • suzyleach
    Breakfast is either egg white omelette with spinach or porridge oats and blueberries (both with added flaxseed). Lunch, tuna/mackerel and avocado salad. Dinner tuna/salmon/steak/chicken or venison with either salad or roasted veg and sweet potato. Snack on nuts or fruit with 2 squares of dark chocolate with my evening cup of tea!
  • DeguelloTex
    suzyleach wrote: »
    Breakfast is either egg white omelette with spinach or porridge oats and blueberries (both with added flaxseed). Lunch, tuna/mackerel and avocado salad. Dinner tuna/salmon/steak/chicken or venison with either salad or roasted veg and sweet potato. Snack on nuts or fruit with 2 squares of dark chocolate with my evening cup of tea!
    How many calories is that? What is your calorie goal?

"What" is less important than "how much" if you're talking about weight loss.

• suzyleach
    I suppose between 1000 and 1200. Calorie goal is 1200. Maybe I need to eat a bit more. I think what I'm eating is pretty much spot on.
  • DeguelloTex
    Eating more isn't going to cause you to lose weight.

If you think what you're eating is spot on, give it more time than just one week. Though, "supposing," is often wrong when it comes to estimating food.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    An open diary would make it easier OP. Can you open your diary?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    When you begin new exercise, you often pick up a pound or two of weight, so it's possible the fat loss is masked by the extra "water weight" and you did lose some.

But, it's only been a week. You need to give it time. Losing weight takes a long time, so get used to being patient.

Most people can't eat 1000-1200 calories a day and run, so you might consider following whatever MFP has suggested that you eat and eating at least half of the exercise calories.

You'll find what works you if you keep trying and stick with it.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    As tex says, knowing how many calories you are eating is more important than what when it comes to losing weight. Estimating works for some, but if YOU aren't getting results, then it isn't working for you and you need to do something different, like weighing your food. But 1 week hardly makes or breaks a diet as water weight fluctuations can easily mask 1-2 weeks of loss, so you have to stick to it longer than that.

Anyways, I started measuring my waist every couple weeks for a very rough body fat % estimate. Even if the scale doesn't show a change, the tape always does and I know I'm eating in a deficit so those are the results I expect.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Avocado, sweet potato and nuts are all quite calorie dense, I would struggle to fit all those into 1200 calories a day and still have enough calories left to eat to fill me up.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    suzyleach wrote: »

Unless your portions are very tiny, I really doubt this is 1000-1200. Meat, avocado, nuts etc are all very calorie dense. Healthy, but calorie dense. 2 square of dark chocolate is over 100 calories.

For weight loss it's calories that matter. Minimizing your carbs isn't relevant unless there's a medical reason to do so. Your food intake looks nutritious which is fantastic but I do suspect you're eating more calories than you think.

Also, more generally - it takes longer than a week! You need to be patient. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    When it comes down to it you can't expect a loss every week, no matter how perfect you think your week was. Water weight can play a big role in weight fluctuations. New or upping the intensity of workouts, hormones (are you due for your period soon?) can cause you to retain water and mask fat loss. It also wouldn't hurt to tighten up your logging like it has been suggested by others. Use a food scale and make sure that you are using accurate entries in the database.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Your post sounds more like a performance than it does about conscientious calorie counting. Just know that whatever you do (eat) to lose weight is something you're going to have to keep on doing. So make sure you're eating (and drinking) in a sustainable way. Keep under your calorie goal, fitting in all the foods you enjoy.

That's the trick - and it doesn't happen instantly.
  • suzyleach
    Thank you everyone, I will take your comments on board.