Advice on Sweetener

Options

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use splenda because it taste the most like sugar to me. I lucked out and bought 7 big bags for $1 last month plus its the fiber one I like.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... no one is talking about monk fruit sweetener here. I like that the best. It doesn't have the aftertaste that stevia can have. I like it in both tea and coffee. Stevia seems best in cold stuff only to me. Skinnygirl has liquid monkfruit sweetener that I carry in my purse but I also get it in the orange packets.

Oh, and if you don't mind spending a few extra coins, look into a product called SugaVida. It is a natural sweetener made from the palmera jaggery plant (I believe) and it is naturally high in B vitamins. It's got a caramel like back taste which makes it taste great in coffees and certain flavors of hot tea. I was ordering it from Amazon but just found it at my local HEB grocery store.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had not heard of monk fruit before. Interesting. "The fruit contains 25 to 38% of various carbohydrates, mainly fructose and glucose."
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you brew loose leaf tea, you can add dehydrated stevia leaves to the brewing process. :)
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My preference is Truvia as well, fantastic sprinkled on my morning porridge or weetabix.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I had not heard of monk fruit before. Interesting. "The fruit contains 25 to 38% of various carbohydrates, mainly fructose and glucose."

monk fruit comes in the same form as the stevia - in a loose powder or in packets. It is one serving is essentially 0 calories using one packet but it tastes good with little aftertaste. You can find it in the sugar section of supermarkets and the best brand is Monk Fruit in the Raw in the orange boxes (much like Stevia in the Raw that comes in the green ones).
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    So... What I just read in your original post is that you don't like tea unless you use sweeteners. I would just give it up at that point.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You could try different types and flavors of tea. Constant Comment, I think, is pretty good without milk or sugar. I'm also drinking my coffee black now, which I thought I'd never do, so you can adjust if you need to. Otherwise, find a sweetener you like and go with it.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Stevia or honey. Please stay away from aspartame which comes in the form of Equal and Nutrasweet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you don't want calories and you don't mind the taste, use sweeteners.

This.

I've never really liked sweetened tea, so might not understand, but there are loads of teas that I think would taste sweetish without sweetener even for those used to it, like various fruit-based herbal teas.

I love unsweetened Earl Grey, though, and am also a fan of this weird Yogi tea: Aztec Sweet Chili. Also always enjoy Russian Caravan.
  • eoberle27
    eoberle27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    So... What I just read in your original post is that you don't like tea unless you use sweeteners. I would just give it up at that point.

Well, that was kinda the point of the whole topic, trying to find a healthier way to enjoy it. I'd rather not give it up entirely just because I like tea that's sweet. I was just trying to find a viable alternative.
  • eoberle27
    eoberle27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And thanks for all the responses, guys, I think I've got a plan. I'll try the different sweeteners mentioned (and thanks to rhtexasgal for the mention of monk fruit, I'd never heard if that before!) and if I can't stand any of them, I'll start gradually lessening the sugar I add and see if maybe I can get by going without.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    I would suggest Stevia or honey. Please stay away from aspartame which comes in the form of Equal and Nutrasweet.

Now why would that be?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This.

I've never really liked sweetened tea, so might not understand, but there are loads of teas that I think would taste sweetish without sweetener even for those used to it, like various fruit-based herbal teas.

I love unsweetened Earl Grey, though, and am also a fan of this weird Yogi tea: Aztec Sweet Chili. Also always enjoy Russian Caravan.

I'm always on the lookout for new teas and will check these out, thanks.

ETA, bah Aztec Sweet Chili has been discontinued >.<

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love the Chai teas and now I add cinnamon to my chocolate because of their influence.

http://www.glenns-restaurant.com/PDF/CompleteTeaMenu.pdf
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like sweet n low. It hasn't killed me yet.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The pink packet is my favorite.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This.

I'm always on the lookout for new teas and will check these out, thanks.

ETA, bah Aztec Sweet Chili has been discontinued >.<

Seriously? I am so upset -- no wonder I wasn't able to find it last time I looked. I still have some and will have to hoard it and use it sparingly. ;-) Mayan Cocoa Spice is good too. Apparently it has stevia in it, so I guess it comes pre-sweetened.

Russian Caravan, on the other hand, isn't sweet at all -- very smoky.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »

Now why would that be?

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/
    a chemical found in thousands of products is causing an epidemic of severe neurological and systemic diseases, like multiple sclerosis and lupus. The FDA, the companies that make the product, and the “medical industrial complex” all know about the dangers of this chemical but are hiding the truth from the public in order to protect corporate profits and avoid the pesky paper work that would accompany the truth being revealed. The only glimmer of hope is a dedicated band of bloggers and anonymous e-mail chain letter authors who aren’t afraid to speak the truth. Armed with the latest anecdotal evidence, unverified speculation, and scientifically implausible claims, they have been tirelessly ranting about the evils of this chemical for years.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not worried about aspartame. None of us are getting out of here alive.