Experienced runners, help!

Options
I have been a "casual" runner for a few years, but recently decided to pursue a half marathon. I have always done probably 80% of my running in the early am on an empty stomach, BUT they have previously always been three miles or less. As i am training, i am now doing weekday runs of 4-5 miles, and weekend runs of 6-7 miles and increasing. I have never been able to eat early without feeling sick (i normally eat my breakfast at work!) but, i definitely feel a little worn out in those longer runs (it is really new to run so far for me though too, so maybe thats why i'm tired)

SO, i know the eat before running is heavily debated...the one time i did eat a banana before a 5 mile run, i felt very sick for the first 3 miles. Will my body just adjust to longer distances without food? Should i force myself to eat before runs so that i get used to it before i have to do the reallllly long runs? Has anyone been in this position? I just want to do everything i can to make sure i am strong enough to finish this half marathon....thanks!!

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    you needs carbs before you run. my mom used to run 50k races and she'd load up on pasta the night before. when i go on my longer runs i have 1 or 2 slices of toast with a tbs of peanut butter on each... i usually run 30-45 minutes after i eat. hope this helps :)
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    definitely been in this spot. are you hydrated enough before your run? you don't have to answer this one, but do you take any medications? both could be a factor in your body reacting differently to your new runs. also, different times of day really weigh on my running abilities. if I've had a particularly tiring day, a 5 mile run often seems nearly impossible.

are you getting enough sleep? for me, when I started running, I needed to increase my sleep to 8 1/2 to 9 hours.

hope that helps.
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    sorry to post twice, but have you ever been diagnosed with acid reflux? feeling sick in the morning after eating is a huge symptom of it.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars work for me - that seems to be the one thing that i can eat before a run without upsetting my stomach.
  • ashcoy
    ashcoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wake up an hour before I want to hit the pavement, eat a peanut butter sandwich (or toast with peanut butter) or a granola bar, and go back to bed for the next hour. I would keep it right next to my bed and grab it once the alarm went off. I get my fuel and really only lose 15 minutes of sleep. But if you're the kind of person who doesn't go back to sleep easily, this may not work for you!
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my half I'd eat a granola bar about 30 min before or I'd be starving by the end (not really starving but hungry enough for it to be distracting). When I did long runs I'd take a snack with me, I liked roasted nuts the salt on them would keep me from getting nauseous plus a little ziplock bag is really portable. Basically from everything I've read, there's not much you can to that's "wrong" just figure out what works for you. My mom wouldn't eat anything but needed food as soon as she got back (she walked most of it). I think half of training is for the mental part anyways so don't be afraid to try something! it took me awhile to figure out the nuts thing and that was an accident because that was the only portable thing I had at home that day!

Edit: bananas before also made me sick but they were the BEST after!!!
  • teacherdeb
    teacherdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also used to run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I did that for years. Then, after having children and getting back into running, I ran a half marathon on an empty stomach, and I didn't even take in any calories during the run, as this was the way I had always done it in my twenties. I felt horrible at the end of the race and almost didn't make it. My husband is a firefighter, so he took me to the hall and took my blood pressure - it was so low they couldn't even get a reading! Once I ate, I felt 100% better. After talking with lots of other runners, I learned that there has been a lot of study on this topic over the last several years, and the general consensus is that you should eat prior to a long run. If you're going to be running for less than an hour, it's not so important, but definitely on the long runs! It's best to try and eat about two hours prior to your run - which isn't always easy when you're runnung in the morning - no one wants to get up at 4:00 just to eat ... but try to have it at least an hour beforehand. You need to figure out which foods work best for your body too. Something simple, like a bowl of instant oatmeal with a banana and/or a slice of whole grain toast is usually a good bet. Also, if you're running for more than an hour, try taking some chomps (my fave) or a gel with you. They help! One more thing: make sure you have enough carbs and water the day before ... I'm training for a half right now - went for a 10 mile run last weekend and hadn't eaten enough the day before (at a funeral) - I really felt it in my legs - they were done by about 7 miles, so it wasn't fun.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Deb
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Someone suggested Clif Bars already, but what about Gu? It is less like food than a clif bar (hence the name, gu) but still has vitamins and everything to keep you going.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been a "casual" runner for a few years, but recently decided to pursue a half marathon. I have always done probably 80% of my running in the early am on an empty stomach, BUT they have previously always been three miles or less. As i am training, i am now doing weekday runs of 4-5 miles, and weekend runs of 6-7 miles and increasing. I have never been able to eat early without feeling sick (i normally eat my breakfast at work!) but, i definitely feel a little worn out in those longer runs (it is really new to run so far for me though too, so maybe thats why i'm tired)

SO, i know the eat before running is heavily debated...the one time i did eat a banana before a 5 mile run, i felt very sick for the first 3 miles. Will my body just adjust to longer distances without food? Should i force myself to eat before runs so that i get used to it before i have to do the reallllly long runs? Has anyone been in this position? I just want to do everything i can to make sure i am strong enough to finish this half marathon....thanks!!

It really depends on how long it takes you to cover these longer runs. If you're going to be out there more than about 40 minutes, I'd definitely eat something first. If you're going to be out longer than an hour, eat something about 35 minutes in (a Gu, a gel, whatever).

My pre-long run breakfast is always a PBJ and coffee. If I eat about an hour before running, I'm fine. Some people have to eat earlier, some never get used to it.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I could never eat right before a run - had to have a two hour window at least or I would puke in my mouth (eew I know). I also used the gu when I got into runs over a hour long. They were great for energy!!!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. I think i might pick up some of the gels to try on my runs that are longer than an hour. They always freaked me out because i remember a gel candy when i was a kid that tasted terrible, lol. i might start slow and have a little gatorade before i run, and work up from there as my stomach will let me!

The sleep and acid reflux makes a lot of sense though. I have never been diagnosed, but everyone else in my family gets it really bad. And i can ALWAYS use more sleep!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You really don’t HAVE to eat before a long run, depending on your definition of long run and how fast you run. This is something that really varies from person to person and is important to figure out during your training runs. If eating makes you sick, then don’t eat. I just did 13.5 miles last weekend on an empty stomach. I had 2 gels along the way @ my normal 45 minute intervals. Also plenty of water. It was a very good run, I had no problems at all.
    I’d say if you do run on an empty stomach, make sure you have eaten later in the evening prior.