I keep getting worse at running! Why?

Options
dorcasseb
dorcasseb Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've never been much of a runner but ever since my fitness journey I thought to push myself. A couple weeks ago, I ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes without stopping to walk that often (this amount of time is a lot for me as I could only run 60 seconds before getting out of breath in the past.... literally!). After a couple of days I ran on the treadmill again, but that time I found myself stopping to walk more often. A couple of days ago, I found myself walking on the treadmill way more often than I have ever and I feel my stamina is getting worse. What's going on? (It's not the case of speed though)

Replies

• Trishfitz78
    Trishfitz78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Could it be mind over matter? Great quote "Your mind gives up before your body does!". I've built up to running 20 mins straight, like you 60 seconds was a push at the start! And I have days when I think I'm going to have to stop after just 5mins. But I psych myself up, think of my goals and keep going, and usually my body surprises me and doesn't die! :) Your confidence might have taken a knock - Do it! You got this!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes many runners only get into their stride 10-20 mins in. I'm not a great runner by any means but I run several times pw both on treadmills and outside. I always have to push past a barrier then once thru that I feel I get a second wind and it feels great. (Endorphins??). Try just pushing yourself 'another minute' 'another 2' etc and see if that helps. And yes mind over matter : 'I've done it once I can do it again'. Take your time and build up slowly, if you have to slow down it doesn't matter as its all helping you progress. Maybe try a progression program such as C25K which includes periods of walking and running at first. Many people have started with this. Good luck !!!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    So you've tried running three times on a treadmill and it didn't go better each time and you think you are getting worse? First things first, you need to set your expectations! You aren't going to get markedly better or worse over the course of a couple weeks from just three sessions.

What is going on here is that you are lacking endurance, meaning you don't have much of a base of aerobic capacity (call it fitness if you like) to lean on. The good news is... it's easy to build that and the better news is you do it by... running slower.

Yes, that's right, you probably are setting out too fast and need to slow down. As @Clarewho suggested above, a program like Couch 2 5K (C25K) would be helpful to you; this sort of weekly progression is exactly the sort of thing that helps build endurance / aerobic capacity. Try it! By the end of the program you'll be amazed at how far you've come. :smiley:

You'll find that building your aerobic capacity helps you elsewhere too, not just for running.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! I have good treadmill days and bad treadmill days...I've done c25k, and just in the last week I was doing a happy dance about managing to whole 5k without stopping (which I've not been able to do for years), then a few days ago I couldn't even manage a few minutes without a walk break. For me it's a bunch of factors - nutrition, hormones, time of day, tiredness...if I'm having a bad time of it I tend to set the speed a little slower, then find a concert video to watch on Youtube and put my ipad over the treadmill display so I'm not watching the numbers constantly.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and the heat has forced me back on the treadmill. My pace and speed is pitiful and have been feeling my age but I keep moving! I still plan on running my first half marathon in November.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You're trying to do a lot -- and to do it quickly (which I totally understand, btw!). Hopping on a treadmill for a first time run and going for 30 minutes?! Wow! I've been doing C25K and after 5 weeks have gotten to running for 15 min straight. It is a process. At first I didn't think I could run 5:00.

I agree with the the advice above -- build your stamina through a beginning running program like C25K. If you are really fit, you might be able to start in week three or so, but the purpose of the program is to build lung and leg capacity. It is *meant* to be taken slowly. Along the way, you'll find that some days you fly and some days you struggle every step. (For me, hot humid days are a major factor in those tough days).

There are several C25K apps that you can download. I use the plan from an app called Runmeter, but Google the different ones and find one for which you like the pace of progression (the length of the programme is different, and the amount of run time varies amongst the apps as well).

Also, if you can run outside, it is more enjoyable due to the scenery, IMO.

This is a journey. We want to build up, not burn out. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! I have good treadmill days and bad treadmill days...

There is no such thing as a good treadmill day...
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    By good I mean not wanting to smash the treadmill with a hammer ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    So you've tried running three times on a treadmill and it didn't go better each time and you think you are getting worse? First things first, you need to set your expectations! You aren't going to get markedly better or worse over the course of a couple weeks from just three sessions.

What is going on here is that you are lacking endurance, meaning you don't have much of a base of aerobic capacity (call it fitness if you like) to lean on. The good news is... it's easy to build that and the better news is you do it by... running slower.

Yes, that's right, you probably are setting out too fast and need to slow down. As @Clarewho suggested above, a program like Couch 2 5K (C25K) would be helpful to you; this sort of weekly progression is exactly the sort of thing that helps build endurance / aerobic capacity. Try it! By the end of the program you'll be amazed at how far you've come. :smiley:

You'll find that building your aerobic capacity helps you elsewhere too, not just for running.

Very much this. I have been running for many years. I usually train according to heart rate, so I try to keep my HR in a constant zone. Does my pace get better with each run? Heck no! Some days I am running 30 seconds per mile slower than the day before. Each day's performance is dependent on your fueling, fatigue, mental being, etc. But the thing is, if you keep at it, over the long haul you will see improvements. If I look back at my same runs from a year ago, my bad days now are similar to my good days back then. Just give it time.
  • dorcasseb
    dorcasseb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all!! This has really uplifted me! I'll keep pushing through for progress without letting my bad days get to me and I'll definitely check out C25K!!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to treadmill but ever since starting to run outside I just can't treadmill. Where as I can run 6 miles without thinking about it outside after .25 miles on the treadmill I feel like I'm ready to die. I suppose it's mind over matter but still.