Calorie goal changed?

Options
Hello! I have been using MFP regularly for about a month now and have lost 10 pounds as of 3 days ago. I have 60 pounds to go. Today, my calorie goal jumped from 1290 to 1480. Does that just happen? Should I be eating the new goal, or assuming it was a glitch? I've checked my profile, and all is as it should be. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Did you log any exercise? Are you 100% sure your activity level didn't change from sedentary to lightly active (the calorie difference is about what I see between those 2 activity levels)?
  • purplefishes
    purplefishes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No exercise, and I'm positive - it's always been lightly active. I could swear there used to be an option for losing three pounds a week that I had chosen, but since it's not there now, I may just have been having some wishful thinking.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No exercise, and I'm positive - it's always been lightly active. I could swear there used to be an option for losing three pounds a week that I had chosen, but since it's not there now, I may just have been having some wishful thinking.

There has never been an option on this site to lose more than 2 lbs per week. Is it possible that you had a custom goal entered previously?
  • purplefishes
    Options
    No, no custom anything - I don't know enough about nutrition to attempt anything like that. I guess I was mostly just wondering if it had happened to anyone else. I will try changing my activity to sedentary and see if it gets close to where it was - that goal was working pretty well, may as well stick with it. Thanks for your time!
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Either you manually changed it, put in some sort of exercise or changed your activity level. It doesn't change by itself.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    think it readjusts every 10 pounds.
  • purplefishes
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    think it readjusts every 10 pounds.

That could make sense - maybe I just didn't notice it the first day. Thanks!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    what iv'e been told is it readjusts every 10 pounds as long as you haven't adjusted it yourself.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have seen MFP fail to provide the right calories when setting things up (for example, it calculated as if sedentary was selected when lightly active was really selected). It is possible that the original calorie amount was too low (an error) and when you lost 10lb MFP automatically updated but this time with correct numbers.

If you are positive everything is entered correctly, then go with the current numbers and see what happens. If your goal is 2lb/week and you eat exactly your calories and you get a result of 2lb/week, then you know the numbers are right. If you lose more, then up your calorie intake, if less, than decrease.

I've actually never had MFP update after a 10lb loss, but then again I mess with my settings way too often just to see hypotheticals...
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've seen some strange glitches, most often with the five-week predictor (I'll be at my calorie goal and then be told I'd gain 40+ pounds if every day were like today...). Since there has never been a three pound goal, there is the chance of user error, but since it was an auto-update, I'd guess it's some rare code error. Resubmit your data, maybe changing your current weight by one pound one direction or the other, and you should be fine.

Honestly, if MFP suddenly gave me 200 more calories, I'd probably just take it without question for a week. :p
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If will re adjust every 10 lbs but it asks you if you want to
  • purplefishes
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I will see what happens in a few weeks when I hit the next ten pounds .
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    Honestly, if MFP suddenly gave me 200 more calories, I'd probably just take it without question for a week. :p
    Ha, true - I shouldn't question it =)