Starting on my journey to lose 85lbs!

Options
Tomorrow will mark the end of my first week counting calories and my first weigh-in! I plan to weigh in every Saturday morning so I can keep track of my progress. A week ago I was 230lbs and I'm working my way to 145! I have never tried counting calories before, actually, I never really had the desire to. As much as wanted to be thin, I never wanted to stop eating what I like. But now I know I can have the best of both worlds, I just have to eat less!
Already, nearing the end of my first week, I discovered the higher-calorie foods I used to chow down on would soon fill my daily caloric limit and leave me feeling very hungry all day. Now I know that healthier choices like veggies, means I can pretty much snack all day before I reach my limit.
I know it will take a long time to reach my ultimate goal, so I developed a few personal mini-goals in mind (1. Get under 200lbs and 2. Halfway to Goal (187.5lbs)) to help keep me focused. I'm currently using the dailyburn app on my iPod to keep track of calories and I'm actually enjoying it! *gasp*

145, here I come!!

~Nice to meet you all :)

Replies

• LNFranklin32
    Options
    Good Luck!!! You can do it!!! :smile:
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it. MFP is awesome. There are so many great people in this site. I'm hoping to get down to 150 myself. I know we can do it! It will take time and determination! :flowerforyou:
  • dbona13
    dbona13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    good luck this site really helps!! i started in december and have lost 78lbs, you can do it!!!
  • bipandora
    bipandora Posts: 19
    Options
    I am doing something very much the same! Welcome to MFP! This site is awesome... and if you download it to your phone, it really helps when you are eating out too. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Please send me a freind request if you would like a buddy! I started at 218 and am also working towards 145. To date I've lost about 11 pounds. I hope we can motivate each other as we undertake this change! (notice I didn't say challenge b/c WE CAN DO THIS!)
    Good luck on your first weigh in tomorrow! :-)
    -Kris
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful and I'm sure you can do it!!! =) I'm on the same journey. Started out at 219 and working towards 160, but ultimately 140-145 =) I've lost 9 so far. hoping to have lost more when I weigh myself by sunday! Good luck and wishing you the best on your journey!!! =D
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my first weigh in as I end my first week as well. I agree I never even thought about counting calories or even wanted to, but so far I have enjoyed my first week! Best of luck tomorrow on the weigh in!!!
  • Mals1805
    Mals1805 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good Luck you will get there you just have to really stick wtih it. It really becomes apart of you when you login eveything that you take it! Don't get discuraged!! You will reach your target in no time! Feel Free to add me as a friend!!! Stay motivated! :-)
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Hi! We have a similar amount to lose - feel free to send me a friend request if you like! I've found this site hugely helpful so far (i'm only a couple weeks in ...). Good luck!
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    Welcome! I sent you a friend request. You can do this!!! :)
  • zaz936
    zaz936 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started this site about 7 weeks ago and I am very pleased. I've lost 14 pounds, down from 225. also aiming at 150. Please add me if you wish to become friends.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi there...Don't ever feel alone. I just started on June 1st and while being laid up with a broken ankle I kept asking myself.... would this have happened if I had weighed less?... Well I need to lose 100 pounds.. so I say HURRAY to those who realize the fight is within us to get ourweight under control. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! and i'll be cheering as i fight the fine fight with you! *thumbs up*
  • danielrrojas
    Options
    You can do it!! I've lost 117 pounds over the last year, and I tell people anyone can do it! Just be positive and understand that it's not easy. It's hard work, but the reward is amazing. God bless you on your journey!!
  • MyBeautyIsSkinDeep
    Options
    LOVE THIS !!! YOU CAN DO IT WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT THIS MISSION OF YOURS!!!:bigsmile:
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow!
    I cannot wait to get my first week out the way - I already feel 'healthier' for ditching the junk, drinking more water & exercising - but I want to see the results!
    Keep positive - we can do this.
    I've sent a friend app if you want some support
    Jules
    :flowerforyou:
  • trimme12
    trimme12 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I am Trim.me12 I am a newbie and looking for some new friends.Over the years i have been fooling myself about my weight,my weight has just gone up and up,so I NEED to get a grip and take control of my weight. I have lost 7lbs so far and many more to go. I NEED TO DO THIS.......SO I'M ON THAT JOURNEY WITH YOU.
  • deearra
    deearra Posts: 8
    Options
    I have an 85 lb goal and have dropped 40 lbs since January 7 of this year. I also started at 235, which is obese on the charts. OBESE! Now that I have broken that 200 mark, and because I am 5'10", I am now just overweight. I look and feel so much better.
    Last week, I had guests visit and I played camp counselor. The first day, I took them to the gym with me, but it was all downhill from there and I gained 5 lbs, actually going back over that 200 mark. Not only did I eat too much of the wrong thing, but I did not enter my food consumption in My Fitness. It's like I totally lost consciousness of my goals.

Since they left, I have lost the weight and am back on vegies. It really scares me to know how easy it is to go back to the obese category. I do not wish to gain the weight back, and I need to make a bigger lifestyle commitment. More visitors are expected and somehow, I've got to stop equating fun with eating and drinking (had two mai tais one day - probably 400 cals each!) I live alone and really feel sorry for those living with people who are not eating right or who aren't enormously supportive.

Stay with it, girl, and beware of the pitfalls.
  • cliffhealy
    cliffhealy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!! I am shooting for 110 pounds. I have been on this for a little over a week and so far so good. 8 pounds gone to date. I know it will slow down but I am not starving to death so it is all good.