Am I eating too little?

Weight loss question. I'm kinda concerned. I'm 22 years old, female, and 5'3. I started at 175 lbs and now weigh 161. I used to eat about 1600 calories a day and exercise off 400 of them. I decided to take a break from exercise for two weeks because I'm sore and my classes are busy, so I have a new approach. Is eating 1300 calories a day with no exercise too little for my age? Because my weight loss has been two pounds in three days, and I heard losing more than a pound a week, at max two pounds a week, is unhealthy. Should I change something? Do I just have a high metabolism or am I cutting too many calories? I am not very active and border on sendentary. I only eat nutrient dense foods, with 40/30/30 macros. At least 100 carbs a day, about 50g of fat, and at least 80g of protein.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    1300 is pretty low for someone who weighs 175.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    It's hard to tell because you've been eating lower for such a short time. Are you logging accurately, as in weighing all foods? If so, and you're that low, you could always try adding in more calories and see how that treats you. I'm all for eating more whenever possible.

I guess the question is, what are your stats, and what is your deficit set to?
  • annalovespizza
    annalovespizza Posts: 25 Member
    I weight 161 now though
  • annalovespizza
    It's hard to tell because you've been eating lower for such a short time. Are you logging accurately, as in weighing all foods? If so, and you're that low, you could always try adding in more calories and see how that treats you. I'm all for eating more whenever possible.

Yes I am accurately weighing all foods. What do you mean by stats? Like calories? My fitness pal recommends 1600, so I'm cutting it down to 1300. I am thinking about maybe doing 1400 instead.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I weight 161 now though
    An accurate 1300 would be a little more than half a pound a week, over time.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I think it is maybe just a little low. I put you at lightly active and entered your stats in the scooby calculator. For a 2lb weight loss a week it says you should eat 1394. You probably don't need to be that agressive since you don't have too much to lose. If you go to a 1lb weight loss it gives you 1569. I'm the same height as you and 37. I weigh 190 and without exercise MFP gives me 1440 calories a day. With exercise I usually eat between 1600-1900 a day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member

Yes I am accurately weighing all foods. What do you mean by stats? Like calories? My fitness pal recommends 1600, so I'm cutting it down to 1300. I am thinking about maybe doing 1400 instead.

If MFP is telling you 1600, that already has a deficit built in. So even without a workout, you can still eat 1600 and lose weight.
  • annalovespizza
    I think it is maybe just a little low. I put you at lightly active and entered your stats in the scooby calculator. For a 2lb weight loss a week it says you should eat 1394. You probably don't need to be that agressive since you don't have too much to lose. If you go to a 1lb weight loss it gives you 1569. I'm the same height as you and 37. I weigh 190 and without exercise MFP gives me 1440 calories a day. With exercise I usually eat between 1600-1900 a day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    That sounds about right. My count for today is 1350 or close to it. I guess I'll raise it to 1500.
  • annalovespizza
    I weight 161 now though
    An accurate 1300 would be a little more than half a pound a week, over time.

Really? Someone else just said it would be two pounds a week. Hmm. There seems to be a general consensus that I should eat more calories though. So I think I will.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    If you can stick to 1300, it won't hurt you for a couple of weeks. If it's hard to keep with it, you can probably up it a little and still lose, too.
  • annalovespizza
    If you can stick to 1300, it won't hurt you for a couple of weeks. If it's hard to keep with it, you can probably up it a little and still lose, too.
    Alright, thanks for the advice!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I think a good thing to ask your self is "Am I hungry all the time?" If you are losing weight and hungry all the time eat something. If you are just hungry before your next meal that's okay but if you eat your meal and 20 minutes later are still starving you aren't eating enough.

common sense. :p
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Eh, might as well up it. I'm 5'4" and did the 1200-1300 calorie thing for a bit back when I started and I don't really regret it, but it it's not necessary, why not try 1500? You should lose pretty nicely on that if you log correctly.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I'm 5'2 and was on a 1200 diet - I lost 25lbs so I don't regret it either but it wasn't sustainable for me and not overly necessary. I aim to lose 0.5lb per week so have upped to 1500. Feeling so much better for it!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    congrats on progress so far. You made a logical decision to reduce calories since you didn't plan on exercising, which shows good planning and dedication. One week is a pretty small window to make assumptions and offer advice but since you asked I would for the short term add a bit more calories. 1300 cals is getting pretty low. Stay in deficit and get back to the gym ASAP. I don't know your maintenance cals...but you can easily find out what numbers work for you.
  • annalovespizza
    I think a good thing to ask your self is "Am I hungry all the time?" If you are losing weight and hungry all the time eat something. If you are just hungry before your next meal that's okay but if you eat your meal and 20 minutes later are still starving you aren't eating enough.

common sense. :p

Fair enough lol

• annalovespizza
    arditarose wrote: »
    Eh, might as well up it. I'm 5'4" and did the 1200-1300 calorie thing for a bit back when I started and I don't really regret it, but it it's not necessary, why not try 1500? You should lose pretty nicely on that if you log correctly.

Fair point. I think I'll up it to 1400 and see what happens. Thanks!
  • annalovespizza
    I'm 5'2 and was on a 1200 diet - I lost 25lbs so I don't regret it either but it wasn't sustainable for me and not overly necessary. I aim to lose 0.5lb per week so have upped to 1500. Feeling so much better for it!

Good to know :)
  • annalovespizza
    congrats on progress so far. You made a logical decision to reduce calories since you didn't plan on exercising, which shows good planning and dedication. One week is a pretty small window to make assumptions and offer advice but since you asked I would for the short term add a bit more calories. 1300 cals is getting pretty low. Stay in deficit and get back to the gym ASAP. I don't know your maintenance cals...but you can easily find out what numbers work for you.

Good idea. Thank you!