Potassium!

Options
Riff1970
Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
So the app tells me my goal for potassium is 3500 mg. I don't ever come close to that. I probably average 1000 mg a day.

Does anybody have that high of a goal for potassium? Do you try to reach it? If you do reach it, what's your main source?

Me: 5' 7" male
Currently 152 cutting to 150

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I generally meet or exceed a daily average of 3500 mg potassium weekly. Its supposed to be a fairly important mineral for organ functions.

Coconut water has 470ish per 8 fluid oz (approx 45 calories.) Your can also get potassium from some yogurt brands ( not Greek yogurt though ) bananas, potatoes, squash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, figs. These are some of my sources
  • Riff1970
    Options
    Thanks. I eat a lot of bananas, broccoli and potatoes. Maybe what I'm logging isn't accurate on the potassium.

I'll look for coconut water. I could make my oatmeal and protein shakes with that.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you going off your chart on MFP? If so that just doesn't show the potassium in most foods as it is not listed on the labels. It is hard not to hit your potassium goal if you eat fruit and veg.
  • Riff1970
    Options
    Most of the time I use the scan tool on my phone app on the packages.

I must be getting a lot more than what's on the packages.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are a good amount of entries in the database that don't have the micronutrient information correct.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Potassium nutritional information is not required in the US so you are likely getting more than what MFP is showing.
    High-potassium foods (more than 200 mg per serving):
    1 medium banana (425)
    ½ of a papaya (390)
    ½ cup of prune juice (370)
    ¼ cup of raisins (270)
    1 medium mango (325) or kiwi (240)
    1 small orange (240) or ½ cup of orange juice (235)
    ½ cup of cubed cantaloupe (215) or diced honeydew melon (200)
    1 medium pear (200)

Another list:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Riff1970 wrote: »
    Most of the time I use the scan tool on my phone app on the packages.

I must be getting a lot more than what's on the packages.

The barcode number on a food package does not contain nutrition information, it is just a universal product code (UPC) number registered to the manufacturer or distributor. All of the macro- and micronutrient information associated with that barcode number was entered into the MFP Food Database by other MFP users or staff; then a user associated that UPC number with a MFP Food Database record. The UPC number can be associated with the wrong MFP Food Database record, or the MFP Food Database record could be inaccurate.

You should check the MFP nutrition information associated with that UPC number every time you scan a new barcode to enter a food item into your Food Diary; plus you should occasionally recheck that an item you have used in the past is still correct, because another user could have edited the MFP Food Database record since the last time you used it.

You can use the USDA National Nutrient Database to verify the nutrient information for many whole foods, such as meats, poultry, vegetables, fruits, nuts, herbs, and spices, plus some restaurant and US/Canadian food products.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When you search for whole foods (meat, fruits, veggies ect.) Adding USDA to your search term brings up entries more likely to have potassium info included.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    There are a good amount of entries in the database that don't have the micronutrient information correct.

This.

But if you're eating a lot of bananas, broccoli and potatoes like you said then you are probably getting enough.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is eat a cup of squash it varies but many have 1100mg per cup. I like butternut it replaces potato's when baked.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    All you have to do is eat a cup of squash it varies but many have 1100mg per cup. I like butternut it replaces potato's when baked.

Nope. One pound or 2 cups (about 454g) of mashed cooked winter squash is about 1100mg of potassium.
    Reference:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3327

a3v0k0h91op2.jpg
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Potassium nutritional information is not required in the US so you are likely getting more than what MFP is showing.
    High-potassium foods (more than 200 mg per serving):
    1 medium banana (425)
    ½ of a papaya (390)
    ½ cup of prune juice (370)
    ¼ cup of raisins (270)
    1 medium mango (325) or kiwi (240)
    1 small orange (240) or ½ cup of orange juice (235)
    ½ cup of cubed cantaloupe (215) or diced honeydew melon (200)
    1 medium pear (200)

Another list:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
    +1
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Its supposed to be a fairly important mineral for organ functions.

You are quite correct: Potassium is what your body requires in order to keep your heart beating!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I work very hard to eat more potassium (K) but most days, I don't hit the goal. It's really hard for me because I don't like a lot of the foods that are good sources of K. Plus, some of the foods with good K are higher in calories.

This well-balanced diet is a pain in the butt. When one goes up, something else goes down and it's a headache for me, lol.

Working on it!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Muhahaha my favorite electrolyte!!! A very important one indeed. So it kills me that the US doesn't require K+ to be on food labels, especially with the amount of people with chronic kidney disease and dialysis that need to watch their levels. BUT, for the average, otherwise healthy adult eating a balanced diet, you're likely getting close to what you need. However the recommendations are actually not 3,500 mg, it's more like 4,700 mg for adults. So again variety is key. I eat a lot of beans, which are loaded with K+. Potatoes are really high at just under 1000mg per 100g serving, I just don't eat them often. Spinach is awesome too, and very low cal.
    It's possible, but the only way to truly known if you're lacking is to stay up on blood work. Also listen to your body, low energy and muscle fatigue are signs that you may want to up the K+. People with healthy kidneys aren't in any real danger for K+ retention, you'll take care of excess through elimination.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you are careful to use the better entries (the ones from the USDA) they have the information. I like a variety of foods (like potatoes) that are high in K, but I tend to get enough (when I am able to log the ingredients and don't have something from a package or restaurant that doesn't contain the information, even when I know it has some), mostly due to nearly everything having a little in it. Like this morning: spinach, broccoli, plum, avocado, eggs. No huge sources, but it all adds up pretty quickly.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »

Nope. One pound or 2 cups (about 454g) of mashed cooked winter squash is about 1100mg of potassium.
    Reference:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3327

a3v0k0h91op2.jpg

Yeah 2 cups sorry was off. I usually eat 2-3 cups when I cook it. It still has lots
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Oh and log your coffee if you drink it. It has a decent amount of potassium.