Week Leading up to Triathlon...Tips?

Options
I am doing my first sprint tri next Sat, June 11. What are your best last minute tips? I am fairly well prepared considering it is my first tri. The distances are: 400 yd swim, 11 mi bike, 3 mi run. The course is extremely hilly and I will be riding a roadbike. I appreciate all of your help!

Replies

• Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Keep your training frequency the same, just shorter and sharper sets.
    A brick session bike-run at race pace (some of it up to 50% of your race pace) is good to slot in mid week.
    Drop running volume first, then bike volume to allow your legs to recuperate.
    Stretch and relax, read well the race info and pack your kit in advance + check your bike.
    The day before just do 3 very short sessions 10- 15 min of each, at very easy pace with 30 seconds or 1 min 3 times at race pace.

Best of luck!
  • MFP1984
    MFP1984 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I fitted in some brick sessions - had a little scare when i found my legs way deader than usual bike to run.
    I also used it to practice transitions - getting kit in order, practicising ways to make them quicker.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bring extra tubes for your bike never know what will happen don't want to be like me when I did my second one ever and had to walk my bike 5 miles :( if its hilly make sure you pace yourself and get a pace you can do up and down those hills
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first sprint tri next Sat, June 11. What are your best last minute tips? I am fairly well prepared considering it is my first tri. The distances are: 400 yd swim, 11 mi bike, 3 mi run. The course is extremely hilly and I will be riding a roadbike. I appreciate all of your help!
    Congratulations, i am not sure if you used personalization. It should be incorporated in to your routine at the beginning, if it wasn't it's okay. I was thinking about how to maximize your diet before the triathlon. I think this is the best thing I can show you

it's a nutritional strategy to offset fatigue, it's a scientific study.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9232557
  • chrisuy
    chrisuy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without more background as to how your training has been going and where you're at physically.

But I suppose a universal would be to go out there and have fun! You've done the hard work prior to the race to get you to that start line. Doing the race is really the icing on the cake and the fruit of all that labor. So have a great time!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your suggestions!