Question about couch 2 5k

Options
So I'm feeling a bit like a failure today. I just completed the first week of the couch to 5k program, and I feel no change at all. By the end I am still huffing and puffing and sometimes have to stop jogging a little early. Is there anyone out there who has had to repeat week one because there is no way you could move on to week two? I feel like I should be getting a little better at jogging, and I'm not. Maybe I'm just still too fat to even begin this program. That is how I am feeling right now. Should I just stop and not do it again until I'm skinnier, or is it ok to do week one for another week?

Replies

• richiedbond
    Options
    I always did a whole week over if I couldn't finish 1 day of it. It actually took me about 12 weeks to do it but I did finally finish. Just keep at it, tt will get better.
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    where did you go to get your info about the couch to 5k. i am so wanting to do that but am afraid i cant run. i am still pretty heavy and am trying to pick it up a notch to get there.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I actually found that week 2 seems a little easier than week 1. It's perfectly normal to repeat weeks as many times as you want before you move on. I think I've been on week 3 for about 6 months now! Hehe :)
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    ive not done this but i would say do week 1 again, mayb its just taking a little longer than u thot, Keep at it tho coz it will get better.x
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did week one about 2 weeks ago and then it just got too hot for me to run outside and I hate treadmill running. I went this morning and am restarting with week 1. I would feel no shame in doing week 1 again. Just remember that it's all about how you feel...you don't want to push too hard or else you will never finish it. Just my opinion.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and repeat Week 1 if you need to. DON'T QUIT!!!!! Although it is a 9 week program, that doesn't mean you have to do it in 9 weeks. The goal is to get healthier. You may have to repeat a couple times, that is OK.
    When I started C25K I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack on Week 1. It took me 12 weeks but I am now running 30 minutes with relative ease.
    Stick with it!
  • KayleighDawn13
    Options
    If your cardio hasn't improved and you have to stop running early, repeat the week. Yes it will take longer but it really will help you out in the long run. (No pun intended :laugh: ) You will find it easier the week you repeat. You will also feel a lot better about your accomplishment!!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    where did you go to get your info about the couch to 5k. i am so wanting to do that but am afraid i cant run. i am still pretty heavy and am trying to pick it up a notch to get there.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it hard to finish your intervals, slow down your pace!!! It's more about conditioning your body to the pounding than it is about speed. Sometimes I end up running slower than I walk just to finish my intervals - and that's ok :smile:
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm on day 3 and I'm plaing on reapting each week just so I know I'm ready.. and day 1 didn't bother me either but day two I could fell it and my calves. no don't stop I already lost 6lbs on the program if I can do it I know you can good luck : -)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it hard to finish your intervals, slow down your pace!!! It's more about conditioning your body to the pounding than it is about speed. Sometimes I end up running slower than I walk just to finish my intervals - and that's ok :smile:

Pace is really important. You can always repeat the whole program to build speed. Do a run speed that you are comfortable doing. Don't strive for a 10 min mile if you can't even walk a 20 min mile.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yeah, a week isn't enough time to see significant results, give it time, you'll get there.
  • Kimber1012001
    Kimber1012001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    take as long as you need! this is not a race, you are working out for you - this is about you, your goals and your health. forget about the 'formal' schedule and tweak it to accommodate your level.

if you gotta do week 1 over again, by all means do it again! yah it mt take u longer to see results (the basic calories burned with this regime already isn't a lot , 20 mins- 30 mins) but when you finish the 3mile jog at the end of the schedule, you'll be able to crank up the calorie burn through speed/time/length and really reach your weight goals.

unfortunately running is not like the elliptical machines or whatnot, it's a very specific exercise that takes time to build endurance and strength that you need to accomplish before considering using jogging as part of your weight reduction strategy.

By going slow you're gonna prevent injuries this way and avoid the frustration (and ultimately giving up) which often happens when people try to run too early on.

if you want to add another form of cardio and strength training on the other days of the wk, ull see faster results specifically regarding the weight loss!

i hope this helps, feel free to add me if u like my kind of advice/motivation :)
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post musicgirl. I start c25k next week so this is an opportunity to see how everyone handles this program. I don't think I've run more than 100 yds in my life so this is going to be interesting for me as well. If you want to friend me we can maybe help each other get through this because I have no idea what to expect...or if I can complete it.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    if you arent used too running or jogging a lot it'll take your body sometime too get used too it, believe me it took me a while too! im on week 2 and if i cant finish i re-do it. i don't go on too the next day, i've gotten a little better and i don't feel like i'm going too pass out anymore, make sure you are drinking DURING your workout too, even if you have to pause drink some water. :)
    hope i helped a little! :)
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    I wanted to join a local running club and I was concerned that, not only would I not be able to run for 1min, but I would be super slow. The leader told me "No one ever died from running too slow." :)

Keep it up at your own pace. The worst thing you can do is push yourself too far and end up with an injury. Repeat as many times as necessary.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Go slow! I struggled with week one and went onto week 2, I go slow. You can do it!!