Protein with out the calories?

Options
Hello!
So I'm trying really hard to get my protein in - per Dr's orders I have to get 63 grams of protein "shakes" in along with my food intake. Lately I have been adding a water additive to my protein (unflavored protein) so it's only 100-120 calories per drink. When I want to "skip" a meal, I'll have veggies and fruit to it, but do you have any ideas on what will help me? I can't do the flavored kind and I can't do protein drinks that are already pre-made.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is this related to a special condition or is this part of your doctor-recommended weight loss plan?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Put protein powder in milk, water, or whatever your doctor considers a "shake."
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So there's one thing I'm confused about. 63 grams of protein has about 250 calories on its own. How exactly are you getting a drink that's only 100-120 calories but has 63+ grams of protein? I'm confused.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going to find any less than that...that's not very many calories.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    63g of protein is going to be 252 calories, regardless of what you do/don't mix with it.

Confused as to why the protein requirement.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    So there's one thing I'm confused about. 63 grams of protein has about 250 calories on its own. How exactly are you getting a drink that's only 100-120 calories but has 63+ grams of protein? I'm confused.
    I think 100-120 is the protein subtotal for each drink, not the daily total.

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Is it just that you want some low calorie protein shake recipes?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think 100-120 is the protein subtotal for each drink, not the daily total.

So OP, you have some kind of unflavored protein powder, added to water, with a water flavor enhancer shot thingie added. And the question is what to do to get LESS calories?

Honestly, I'd make it with milk so it felt like more like a meal, even though you'll add another 100 calories to it. My morning shake when I have it is about 350 calories with added fiber, spinach and banana (I also add lemon-flavoring... I'm weird). Very satisfying and I can go 4-5 hours until lunch if I must. Cocoa instead of the orange and lemon flavor is also very satisfying.

Is that the real question? How to make it more satisfying?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as zero calorie protein sources. Pure protein (zero fat/carbs) has 4 calories per gram. The closest to pure protein you'll get in a natural food are things like very lean chicken or fish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

my guess is its a couple shakes...but yeah, looking at 252 calories. I'm thinking that the OP is thinking there are lower calorie shakes out there and doesn't know that there are 4 calories per gram of protein by default.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think protein is pretty good for the calorie buck. 3 oz of shrimp, 90 calories, 17 grams of protein. Yes please.
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Just to clarify...I am supposed to have 63 grams per day not at once. I get the unflavored whey protein from our cheese factory that is 100 calories and 24 grams of protein per serving. I put in the packet flavoring that can range from 10-20 calories
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Just to clarify...I am supposed to have 63 grams per day not at once. I get the unflavored whey protein from our cheese factory that is 100 calories and 24 grams of protein per serving. I put in the packet flavoring that can range from 10-20 calories

So it sounds like for a 24 gram of protein shake, it is "costing" you about 116 calories? Figuring no matter what, a 24 gram shake is going to be 96 calories minimum, I feel like that is pretty dang good, no?
  • comm1t_1984
    Options
    Is it just that you want some low calorie protein shake recipes?

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I know my protein powder is 100 calories and I'm looking for other things to add it to.
  • comm1t_1984
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

So it sounds like for a 24 gram of protein shake, it is "costing" you about 116 calories? Figuring no matter what, a 24 gram shake is going to be 96 calories minimum, I feel like that is pretty dang good, no?

It's very good - I'm just getting bored and looking for other ideas with out adding a ton more calories.

I do have a medical condition that is requiring me to have this amount of protein.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey comes in a ton of flavors and is 120 calories per 24g of protein. I'm sure other brands are about the same.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You can put the protein powder in pretty much anything. If you're already doing shakes, just add a pack to whatever you've been doing and you should be fine. I've also been hearing good things about PB2 for shakes and all. Trying to find it here, but the only place that has it is Costco, and I don't want a bulk pack before I find out if it's any good! XD
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just eat some chicken or scrambled some egg whites.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Low calorie add-ins for your existing unflavored protein powder. I've not tried any of these.

Sugar free pudding mix (or even sugar free jello mix). 1/4 package should work. Perhaps powdered drink mixes.

PB2 is peanut flour. Basically de-fatted peanuts (mentioned above). They also sell this in a chocolate peanut butter flavor. They sell at my local Target, and some grocery stores.

Extracts - add mint to chocolate pudding mix. Orange zest might be yummy with vanilla (kind of creamsicle flavor).

Raspberries are fairly low calorie fruit - plus you get a ton of flavor. Chocolate raspberry.....yum.

Almond milk is a fairly low calorie beverage, it would give you a creamier texture than water.
  • comm1t_1984
    Options
    Thank you all very much. Its been interesting getting that much extra protein in outside if what I eat...