Menopause and weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    This is the most weight I've ever lost - and I'm done with menopause. So...I don't think that excuse is gonna work.

How rude! Saying menopause affects weight loss isn't the same as saying one can't lose weight during/after menopause. So, what excuse do you think is being made?

Didn't mean to be rude. BTW, for the record, I did not flag your post.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is different for all of us. I've worked hard my entire life to maintain a normal weight. I was never one of those who could eat anything and never gain. Peri-menopause started to create changes in my body (fluffy tummy???!!! what?!!) and a slower metabolism that made it harder than ever to lose unless I was eating at a deficit AND exercising faithfully. Nothing changed in my lifestyle (desk job, healthy eating, regular exercise) but I still began to gain a little each year. Seems like nothing, but a pound or three a year for 10 years adds up to ~30 pounds!

I'm fully in menopause now and also taking a medication that causes weight gain. Still, I have been able to slowly lose weight using MFP logging, eating at a deficit, and daily exercise. Only 16 pounds in 6 months, but it's happening. I've had to learn patience and perseverance!! I know that if I want to be healthy into my old age I will need to maintain good eating habits and do cardio, strength and flexibility exercise.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and 12 years post-menopausal. I have lost 45 pounds over the last year or so, 24 of them after starting MFP in mid-April. I am losing at the rate of 5.75 per month so far, although I seem to be in a bit of a slowdown right now. I log everything I eat and drink, including vitamins, and I have started incorporating walking in the last couple of weeks or so. So, it isn't fast, but it is working. You can do it!! :)
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I also love being in that stage of life where I am too old to need sanitary protection but too young to need incontinence protection. One aisle at the store I need never go down!
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    LMAO!

I was going to let this pass, as I always do when I see comments like this, but this time, in a thread about being post-menopausal, I want to say something. You ladies should count yourselves lucky that you don't suffer from incontinence. Some of us aren't as lucky. I started needing protection about five years ago, and I can absolutely guarantee you that it is not unusual for women of our age and younger to also need protection. You won't ever know if your friends or family members use protection because of these type of comments. They will never be able to tell anybody about it because it is such a commonplace thing for people to make jokes about, but each time they hear one of these comments they will feel embarrassment, shame and set apart from other "normal" people. It would be lovely if people, especially older women, would try to keep this in mind when a comment such as this comes to mind, and realize that it there is a very distinct possibility that you are making fun of somebody within your midst. If you are really lucky, it will never happen to you, but if you live long enough, incontinence may become a part of your life, and you won't find these comments nearly as funny as you do today.

• LaceyBirds
    Options
    I tried to write that in a way that didn't make me sound like a b***h, and not attacking you ladies I was quoting or anybody else, but after re-reading it, I don't think I succeeded. :( I really just would like to make people aware of this issue, and was hoping that this thread was a good place to do it. Sorry if I offended you ladies, that actually wasn't my intent.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight before per-menopause. For many years, maintenance was easy. Then it got harder. Now I work to maintain. But I AM maintaining. Nothing about my eating or workout has changed much, other than upping my walking.

Menopause affects us all, but affects us slightly differently.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    LaceyBird,
    Lost my weight during menopause, and have kept it of 6+ years, 62 now.

I was getting close to needing a little extra padding in the nether regions, especially when I laughed. ( I do, a lot)
    A long social day would include a 'just in case' spare pair of knickers in my handbag.
    Anyway, I started exercising at the same time as I started counting calories, and lo and behold strengthening my core through a variety of exercises, including doing kegels when in line at the grocery store, solved the problem.
    Oddly enough drinking more helped too.

I see you have started walking now, may I, in all kindness, suggest you see if you can find time to do an exercise class that includes core strengthening. I did aqua fit as my first exercise class, it was very gentle on my new to exercise soul, and my mashed potato muscles.

I realise that exercise won't help everyone, but it is worth putting the idea out there.

Sorry for the slight hijack folks

Cheers, h.
  • LaceyBirds
    Options
    Thank you, middlehaitch, I appreciate you taking the time to give me your good advice. I have done some of what you have suggested, and have been looking into ways to strengthen my core. I have had biofeedback for it as well, and hope that perhaps it can be less of a problem some day. I am glad that you were able to eliminate your issue. :)

Sorry to all for the hijack.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    rosebette wrote: »
    Menopause does slow down the metabolism. You can lose weight and be fit, but you must be more mindful about everything you eat because your body doesn't burn calories as quickly it did when you were younger. I've been able to maintain a decent weight, but in my younger days, I could drop 5 lbs. by giving up dessert for a week. Now, I can eat dessert only once a week, and then I might see a gain.

My experience has been very different. Losing weight during menopause was the easiest it's ever been for me, and as a youngster I was obese and giving up desert for a week did me no good because I'd replace those calories with something else. It's so easy to maintain now, too. :)

Same here lost +106 pounds in 10 months

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

tabletmfp wrote: »
    rosebette wrote: »
    Menopause does slow down the metabolism. You can lose weight and be fit, but you must be more mindful about everything you eat because your body doesn't burn calories as quickly it did when you were younger. I've been able to maintain a decent weight, but in my younger days, I could drop 5 lbs. by giving up dessert for a week. Now, I can eat dessert only once a week, and then I might see a gain.
    spm2010 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    No, I don't mean it as criticism at all. It just sorta galls me that menopause is "sold" to women as a giant drag... everything dries up and slows down, yada yada. I bought into that for a while, but then I just decided not to. A whole lot of it is mental.

As long as you eat at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. It will work. Adding exercise to earn more calories (and just feel great) is a worthwhile pursuit.

Not always....I have an underactive, untreated thyroid and eating less and working out more doesn't make the pounds fall off. Takes me a good 6 months to lose 5lbs. If something worked for you fantastic, but it doesn't work for everyone.

The most difficult time I had was when I was pre menopausal at 48 or 49. No matter what I did or how little I ate I could not loose more than a pound! I was in Weight watchers then and even if I ate 800 or 900 calories p it made no difference! It was soul destroying! I hit menopause at 50 and gave up trying, but at 53 I discovered fasting and the 5 2. My periods had stopped for over a year, totally gone. I was delighted to find that this time my efforts were rewarded, and here I am aged 54 having lost 16 KGS. I firmly believe that hormonal changes in pre menopause prevented ANY weight loss, and I really relate to anyone going through that! But it will pass, believe me!

This is encouraging overall! Maybe if I just hang in there for a few more years. . . ,

At least I've stopped gaining!

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I am 59 and 12 years post-menopausal. I have lost 45 pounds over the last year or so, 24 of them after starting MFP in mid-April. I am losing at the rate of 5.75 per month so far, although I seem to be in a bit of a slowdown right now. I log everything I eat and drink, including vitamins, and I have started incorporating walking in the last couple of weeks or so. So, it isn't fast, but it is working. You can do it!! :)
    I also love being in that stage of life where I am too old to need sanitary protection but too young to need incontinence protection. One aisle at the store I need never go down!
    LMAO!

I was going to let this pass, as I always do when I see comments like this, but this time, in a thread about being post-menopausal, I want to say something. You ladies should count yourselves lucky that you don't suffer from incontinence. Some of us aren't as lucky. I started needing protection about five years ago, and I can absolutely guarantee you that it is not unusual for women of our age and younger to also need protection. You won't ever know if your friends or family members use protection because of these type of comments. They will never be able to tell anybody about it because it is such a commonplace thing for people to make jokes about, but each time they hear one of these comments they will feel embarrassment, shame and set apart from other "normal" people. It would be lovely if people, especially older women, would try to keep this in mind when a comment such as this comes to mind, and realize that it there is a very distinct possibility that you are making fun of somebody within your midst. If you are really lucky, it will never happen to you, but if you live long enough, incontinence may become a part of your life, and you won't find these comments nearly as funny as you do today.

This has not been a problem for me, but last week when I did a run-sprint-walk workout, I had this issue every time I sprinted. NOT COOL!!!! I hope it was just because I had not gone to the restroom before the run.

Ya gotta love all the menopause fun and laugh! Or cry!! Or maybe do both at the same time, since your hormones are all over the place! I'm so tired of it for sure.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    LMAO!

Oh, I wasn't finding the idea of incontinence funny but rather the idea of @earlnabby being at a time in her life when she doesn't need anything in that aisle. She also wasn't making fun of people who use sanitary protection :)

I have a large uterine fibroid squishing my bladder so I think about my bladder all the time and have to arrange my life around it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    LMAO!

Oh, I wasn't finding the idea of incontinence funny but rather the idea of @earlnabby being at a time in her life when she doesn't need anything in that aisle. She also wasn't making fun of people who use sanitary protection :)

I have a large uterine fibroid squishing my bladder so I think about my bladder all the time and have to arrange my life around it.

There are five stages in a woman's life: diapers, no protection, sanitary protection, no protection, incontinence protection. We all know this. The length of each stage is different for each woman. We laugh at ourselves as sisters. Just as we laugh about some of the weird things that happen during out periods, we laugh about the things that happen as far as incontinence goes, and those of us who don't need protection yet know that the time is coming. I am just enjoying the respite before it happens.