How can you stop Exercise from adding more "earned" calories for today

Options
when I put in my exercise,the "food" recorder automatically adds the calories that I've exercised off to the calories for the day like I've "earned" them. I don't want this to happen - does anyone know how to stop the website from doing this?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Log it as only 1 calorie burned, or don't log it at all. Those are really your only options - MFP is setup to track exercise separately and to eat back exercise cals. If you're using a different method, you have to adjust/work around MFP's tendencies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Either don't log it, or log it as one calorie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Agree, if you want to log it but not add calories you can manually change the calories burned to 1 (it won't allow 0)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who just does the basic math? If it tells me I earned 400 exercise calories, I could leave 400 calories on the day. If I eat half, I could leave 200. Or just eat to whatever my calorie goal is. The sum of the food is right there on the diary page.
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also note that MFP is calculating that you'll lose/maintain/gain with your allotted calories for the day. Exercising, you just have more calories that you can eat. They're saying, as long as you're in the green, you should still be meeting your goal. I log my exercise and food, being generous on my intake, and slimming down what my HRM says I burned during exercise so I know that I will have a calorie cushion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who just does the basic math? If it tells me I earned 400 exercise calories, I could leave 400 calories on the day. If I eat half, I could leave 200. Or just eat to whatever my calorie goal is. The sum of the food is right there on the diary page.

I'm sure there are others that do this, but it's not what the OP asked.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm sure there are others that do this, but it's not what the OP asked.

Agreed.

It also messes with your macros, which aren't always as easy keep track of in your head.
  • mmrie6905
    mmrie6905 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is saying it adds calories automatically. I use an iPhone and MFP is adding calories without me even putting in exercise. Kinda like its a pedometer because it will say "steps taken" and add calories. I too would like to disable this because every time I go in to add my food there are extra calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mmrie6905 wrote: »
    I think the OP is saying it adds calories automatically. I use an iPhone and MFP is adding calories without me even putting in exercise. Kinda like its a pedometer because it will say "steps taken" and add calories. I too would like to disable this because every time I go in to add my food there are extra calories.

You probably have a pedometer or an app linked to MFP. All you need to do is unlink it and it will stop adding calories. To do that go the the "Apps" tab and see if there is anything in the "Your Apps" column located to the right. If these is, click the offending app then click "DISCONNECT".
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    On the I phone app you can switch that off by clicking 'more' then selecting 'steps' and then ticking the option not to track
  • chap4stick26
    chap4stick26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I probably would agree with most of the comments here. I also had the same issues as you, I workout a lot 7 days a week 1 to 2 hours May be more plus I have a personal trainer two times a week. I burn a lot of calories on any given day (for eg. Using the stair master for an hour give me 1,200 or more calories) I can barely eat the calorie for that day, as to add back all that I workout. Anyways I just don't add in my workout......not sure though if it's the way to go, but for me I just can't eat any more calories. Am already struggling with the 1200 a day plus as someone comment it messes up your macros.

So I guess my advice would be not to add your exercises, but you can make notes of your exercises during the day in the exercise note section.....Hope have help you good luck.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Yes, but it changes your macros as it adds calories. If you are looking at hitting a constant macro number, it gets messed up.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mmrie6905 wrote: »

You probably have a pedometer or an app linked to MFP. All you need to do is unlink it and it will stop adding calories. To do that go the the "Apps" tab and see if there is anything in the "Your Apps" column located to the right. If these is, click the offending app then click "DISCONNECT".

This is supposed to work, but my phone has just started adding in the steps again even with all apps unlinked. At least, it shows up that way in the UI. I just had some updates to a couple of my fitness apps this week, I figure it's a bug from that.

Really annoying, but also easy to delete the entry.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Don't log it
  • Kincademartin
    Kincademartin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stopping MFP from adding in exercies cals was available to all but now its a "premium" feature that you have to pay for. Best advice I can give is work out your cal intake based on sedentary (plenty of websites avail to do this) then the added ex cals should bring you back to where you want to be. Macros are based on %ages so should adjust appropriately for the day.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Stopping MFP from adding in exercies cals was available to all but now its a "premium" feature that you have to pay for.

That is false. MFP never had a free option to turn off automatic adding of exercise Calories. Users without the Premium feature can still log a cardio exercise, then edit the amount of Calories to 1.0 or less.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

That would be too easy.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    when I put in my exercise,the "food" recorder automatically adds the calories that I've exercised off to the calories for the day like I've "earned" them. I don't want this to happen - does anyone know how to stop the website from doing this?

Stop logging exercise calories...