Workout suggestions please!

Options
Hi.I have started walking on the treadmill recently but I needed some workout suggestions. I weigh 200 lbs..I m a beginner and m searching for some cardio workout for begginers...I find Jillian Michael 's workout hard to follow. And I m clueless about any other workouts!
Can someone please suggest some cardio workout videos which can be followed at home?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    At the beginning, I don't really recommend any cardio beyond walking (and roller skating, if you look at my profile pic!). Typically adding weight lifting is the best thing after walking. Doing some resistance, even with things like bands, can help you maintain muscle while you lose fat. Though body weight pushups/situps/squats can be a great way to start too

But there's lots of videos on YouTube. Try them. Also, Jillian (I have no idea what her particular workouts are like, sorry if I seem ignorant) would probably be easier to follow once you do it a couple times.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I have great trails in the woods near me that include hills for when I'm in the mood for that and flat for when that's more my speed. For more variety, I also pick up the sticks that fall in the path and do other forms of trail maintenance.

At home I do yoga and garden. When I go to my mom's in the summer, I swim.

However, since I think what you were really asking about is exercise DVDs, I will add to check your library. My library system has pages and pages of listings of workout videos by Kathy Smith and Denise Austin.
  • Roxannehcarter
    Roxannehcarter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like pilates accelerate and Tae Bo :) LONG walks and interval walk/run training :) have a look at the app "endomondo" my favorite :-D
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love being outside. Get out and walk fast and keep building on distance. Get your pace up to get your heart rate going. There are some smart phone apps (I use Runtastic) that will log your speed and calories burned to MFP for friends to see. The more I do the more it motivates me to increase it. After you build up to a good point you could mix in some short intervals of running. Start slow and build on it.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    all the above suggestions are great. I'd add bicycling to the mix.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cardio for beginners....

Leslie Sansone & Jessica Smith have channels on YouTube (DVDs too). Look for those labeled "walking style" workouts. They are going to be low impact with little or no choreography. Every single Leslie Sansone DVD is walking style.

Jillian Michaels is not the best at cueing.....I would have trouble too. Her kickboxing video got bad reviews because of that.

Tae Bo is very repetitive....so it's fairly simple. My form is not the best and the (incessant) counting drives me crazy.

If you are looking for DVDs there are 2 sites that will be super helpful. They give information on workout DVDs including - choreography level. Start with "basic."

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/aerobic-cardio-exercise-videos

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/185.htm

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have great trails in the woods near me that include hills for when I'm in the mood for that and flat for when that's more my speed. For more variety, I also pick up the sticks that fall in the path and do other forms of trail maintenance.

At home I do yoga and garden. When I go to my mom's in the summer, I swim.

However, since I think what you were really asking about is exercise DVDs, I will add to check your library. My library system has pages and pages of listings of workout videos by Kathy Smith and Denise Austin.

Libraries are great - they are often linked with other libraries so they share titles.

Denise Austin (sweet and encouraging) ......but cues poorly. She has 2 walking style workouts that are beginner (cueing won't matter). Blast Away the Pounds (may be on YouTube) and Fat Burning Walk (nice DVD, has a music only option).

Another DVD to look for Cardio for Beginners by Petra Kolber. This has 2 - 10 minute and 2 - 20 minute workouts to mix and match. 2 are dancey and 2 are athletic....choreography. Cueing is good, even I can follow.

Your library may have Prevention videos. Look for the Chris Freytag videos. The choreography is rather simple.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    juhimokal wrote: »
    Hi.I have started walking on the treadmill recently but I needed some workout suggestions. I weigh 200 lbs..I m a beginner and m searching for some cardio workout for begginers...I find Jillian Michael 's workout hard to follow. And I m clueless about any other workouts!
    Can someone please suggest some cardio workout videos which can be followed at home?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi
    I started with treadmill walking at 5mph then went up to 6 do that one a day for 30 mins was about your weight. 17 days ago I starts hip hop abs dvd I now have a flatter tummy than I did keep at it just keep adding exercises as you get fitter Xx
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of workout videos. I use the Runtastic Pump-It Apps on my iPod Touch for body weight strength training. The Pump-It Apps include Sit-ups, Squats, Pushups and Pull-Ups. I also use a Step Deck which provides an awesome cardio workout well beyond just walking. I also ride my bike several times a week and attend Yoga class about twice a week. At 200 pounds, as long as you keep moving, you're gonna lose a bunch of weight. So.... just turn off that TV, get up off your couch or easy chair, and don't stop moving until you're ready for bed. And do that everyday! That's truly how I managed to lose my 40 or so pounds.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Bellydance is a great workout for people of all body types. It's a lot of fun, a great workout, and doesn't cause high impact on joints but can really get your heart pumping and tone your body all-over. Be prepared to laugh at yourself... and then feel very good about yourself!

I recommend going to a local class if you can, but videos aren't bad either, just look for one on amazon with a 4+star rating.
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JM has a great DVD that is for beginners. It is very easy to follow and great for someone wanting to get in the circuit training game. I highly recommend that before trying 30 day shred,, no more trouble zones, etc. It'd called jm for beginners or something like that. You can find dit on amazon. Good luck!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender videos on youtube. If you feel you are more a beginner level, just search for "fitness blender low impact" on youtube and you'll find lots of good ones. Then as you progress you can do more of the advanced workouts there too. I find them easy to follow.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I begin with Leslie Sansone videos. Her walking videos are Great for beginners.
  • patrick_yeo69
    patrick_yeo69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try les mills workout like body pump, body combat, body balance and many many more. I sure one if this will help you to lose weight fast. You can purchase the work out home video at their website
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'll second a beginner's bellydance class. It's fun to do something different and I've been in classes with fellow students ranging from 90 to 300+ lbs. Although it's really normal for some people to feel self conscious at the beginning, those who stick with it for 3 or 4 classes usually end up having a lot of fun and meeting new exercise/dance buddies.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you are member of a gym, I'd speak to a member of staff and they can arrange an induction for you (this is usually free - it depends on your gym of course). They'll show you the equipment, show you how to use it and explain what is needed to reach your specific goal. When I first started my weight loss journey, I started walking on the treadmill too. Eventually I built it up to jogging and when I got fitter, I moved it on to interval training.

Down the line, I'd suggest adding strength work-outs to the mix but whilst your'e starting out, keep it simple. Get familiar with your breathing on the treadmill. If you aren't a member of the gym, there are a load of online beginners work-outs you can try that can be done at home. Pinterest is brilliant for these articles! Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Would you enjoy dance fitness? Zumba is the obvious thing that you can do at home using the videos, but there are also other dance fitness workouts that you can get for free on YouTube. Check out Sarah Placencia and Skillful Movementz.

Walking is a great place to start, as is swimming. You could also try Couch to 5K (C25K) in your own neighborhood or on a treadmill.
  • paulvmax
    paulvmax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY !!!!!!
  • _Juhi_
    _Juhi_ Posts: 38 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Would you enjoy dance fitness? Zumba is the obvious thing that you can do at home using the videos, but there are also other dance fitness workouts that you can get for free on YouTube. Check out Sarah Placencia and Skillful Movementz.

Walking is a great place to start, as is swimming. You could also try Couch to 5K (C25K) in your own neighborhood or on a treadmill.

Yeah..I would love to do a dance workout! Thanks alot for the suggestions. Will definitely check them out.
    C25K using treadmill? Sorry m really clueless about it...could you please tell me more about the program?
  • _Juhi_
    _Juhi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you are member of a gym, I'd speak to a member of staff and they can arrange an induction for you (this is usually free - it depends on your gym of course). They'll show you the equipment, show you how to use it and explain what is needed to reach your specific goal. When I first started my weight loss journey, I started walking on the treadmill too. Eventually I built it up to jogging and when I got fitter, I moved it on to interval training.

Down the line, I'd suggest adding strength work-outs to the mix but whilst your'e starting out, keep it simple. Get familiar with your breathing on the treadmill. If you aren't a member of the gym, there are a load of online beginners work-outs you can try that can be done at home. Pinterest is brilliant for these articles! Good luck!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! And I can't join the gym due to hectic schedule.. :) Will try strength work outs