Wine when you are on 1200 calories a day

Options
I like to have a couple of small (150ml) glasses of wine on Saturdays and Sundays but that is 206 cals. As eating under 1200 cals a day means I would not get all my nutrients (and I will not do this) I have no alternative but to use exercise cals earned for my treat - therefore in my eyes wine is doing me a favour by making me get off my lazy backside :)

If you are on 1200 cals a day and like an alcoholic drink now and again (or if you can imagine it if you are on a higher cal allowance) how would you work it - sacrifice nutritious food for empty calories or 'work' for it?

Replies

• Lindy0070
    Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I try and make sure that I get some exercise that day that I'm going to have a drink. It's hard especially at the weekend when you fancy a drink.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories doesn't guarantee you're getting all your nutrients. You have to work at it, even eating 1200. Plenty of people who eat more than 1200 still don't get all the nutrients they need. There is nothing miraculous about the numbers, KWIM?

I do eat about 1200 calories a day and I don't have room for booze, sweets, etc.

If I wanted wine, I guess I'd work for it. I wouldn't short-change myself on nutrients to work in alcohol, especially if it was something I was drinking on a regular basis.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    exercise to earn it
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Eating 1200 calories doesn't guarantee you're getting all your nutrients. You have to work at it, even eating 1200. Plenty of people who eat more than 1200 still don't get all the nutrients they need. There is nothing miraculous about the numbers, KWIM?

I do eat about 1200 calories a day and I don't have room for booze, sweets, etc.

If I wanted wine, I guess I'd work for it. I wouldn't short-change myself on nutrients to work in alcohol, especially if it was something I was drinking on a regular basis.

Yes I agree and people on, say, 1600 cals a day could still not input sufficient nutrients, it would depend on their preferences I suppose.

• suziecue20
    Options
    @ kalikel, I used to go on a site called Nutracheck where every macro and micro nutrient was logged for the day you input and it certainly was an eye opener to me. This MFP only gives you a few options to track.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Right now, I have room in my calorie deficit for wine, but I just don't very often. I've lost my taste for it somewhat. Once I'm on a tighter deficit, I'd work for it. I know what sacrificed nutrition does to me and wine isn't worth it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    @ kalikel, I used to go on a site called Nutracheck where every macro and micro nutrient was logged for the day you input and it certainly was an eye opener to me. This MFP only gives you a few options to track.

I track my micros. Beginning that was a very eye-opening experience, for sure!

I work really hard on learning to eat a healthy, balanced diet while I lose weight because when I'm done losing, I want to be done logging, too! :)
  • suziecue20
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I track my micros. Beginning that was a very eye-opening experience, for sure!

I work really hard on learning to eat a healthy, balanced diet while I lose weight because when I'm done losing, I want to be done logging, too! :)

You have the knowledge lol - can I be your friend, then you can view my diary and tell me what a prat I am!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the above. It is extremely difficult to get all the proper nutrients everyday with 1200 calories and It absolutely leaves no room for junk. If "treats" are a part of your diet they should only be had if you are willing to make up for them with exercise. Otherwise up the calories or sacrifice your hair, skin, or bone density. :)
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    psh, drink the wine, life is short! if i know i'm going to be drinking that day/night/week/life, i plan for it and balance my calories around to fit it in. but that's just me.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    psh, drink the wine, life is short! if i know i'm going to be drinking that day/night/week/life, i plan for it and balance my calories around to fit it in. but that's just me.

Yes that's fine but how many calories do you have to play with?

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Yes that's fine but how many calories do you have to play with?

i get 1450 a day and on saturdays half or more of my cals come from beer.

#noregrets

LOL!

but, i do workout to help earn it too.... everyone has to find what works for THEM

70+ pounds down, and what im doing works for ME.... ymmv.....
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Why deprive yourself up your calories. Most people are at least lightly active vs sedentary which is what gave me a 1200 cals. I changed that real quick.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    my guess is that you could still lose weight with a higher calorie target...so going over a bit while enjoying a couple of glasses of wine isn't really a big deal. also, a little exercise...

I ride for my cardiovascular health...and beer.