Curious. Scale vs Tape Measure - when weight doesn't not drop

Options
enkiemonkey
enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi everyone.

Saw this mentioned here and there on posts where OP was frustrated that despite good diets and consistent exercise, he or she doesn't see the weight drop -- sometimes it even goes up!

Others who answered have suggested that tape measure might show a different story from the scale.

My question is that - seems like it's possible that during the weight loss journey, there may be times where size/inch wise you are getting slimmer but the scale may not catch up properly in that very moment. Can someone explain once and for all why that is?

I'm asking because the past two weeks my scale generally stayed the same but I definitely noticed myself becoming slimmer and yesterday I even fit into clothes that is one size smaller (disclaimer: these dresses had some stretch to them).

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Water weight fluctuations/retention, which can come from a myriad of things (TOM, what you ate the days before, etc...).

Most commonly on here it is an op that has been eating at a deficit for 4 weeks or so, but has now started a workout regimen, or upped the intensity of a current one. This can cause you body to retain water for muscle repair. You may be getting smaller, but the water retention masks any change in scale weight. Personally I can swing by 6lbs after a heavy lifting day.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I do both. I weigh myself and measure with a tape measure at least weekly. Sometimes I don't see a decrease on both or either but always there has been a downward trend. The trend is the important thing to keep in mind. Water retention is a tricky thing, it can be in muscles that are reflected with in the measurements or it can be in places we don't usually measure like feet, ankles, and fingers.
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Great. Thanks so much for your input
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I can't totally explain it but I can confirm that pounds and inches do not move in unison. I've tracked both since I began my journey 14 mo ago. I lost more than half my weight I the first 6 months, but more than half my inches in the second 6 months. I can go through a period of a few weeks where my weight barely budges but my clothes are falling off. I'm sure some or much of this relates to the strength training I do which builds or reshapes muscle. (I know, technically you can't gain muscle when eating a deficit, but I was very weak and very obsese to begin with, so lots of newbie gains IMO). There are times when a measurement goes up over a 6 week period. This could be due to water, muscle changes, or measuring slightly differently, but my trainer does all my measurements and he is very specific snd consistent about how he measures. I kept needing smaller clothes and keep looking better so that's what matters. Don't stress over it, keep your eye on the long haul.
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing. This forum has been such a wealth of knowledge and mutual support
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a single pound by the scale in over 1.5 months. In fact, I haven't even seen my lowest weight in over a month. In that time I've lost over 7 inches. IDK WTH is going on, but as long as my clothes keep fitting better and the inches keep going down, I'm good with it. *shrug*
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I do both. I weigh daily but only log it once a week and i do measurements once a month.

because i can't *SEE* the weight loss in the mirror, the measurements help tell me (aside from clothes) where the weight is coming off. Last month it was in my hips! ;) LOL
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Today was my weigh and measure day. I stepped on the scales first to find that I had lost 2lbs this month. I asked myself "ONLY 2 this month?!". Then I took my measurements and I'd lost 8 inches this month. Not bad! :)
  • bustedsweetie
    bustedsweetie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My scales change weekly but my measurements stay the same :( I know I have lost weight because my clothes are all so loose now. I don't know which one to trust!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Scales + clothes is 2 out of 3 so I would say you're doing great! There can be a lot of imprecision in measuring, ESP if doing your own.

And like someone said above, it doesn't come off the same all over your body. Some months hips, others waist or chest. You just can't stress over it or try to dictate how it's "supposed" to happen.