How long before you consider a gain a TRUE gain?

Options
pennstatealum2000
pennstatealum2000 Posts: 12 Member
edited August 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've been maintaining my weight (healthy weight/BMI) for over a year without issue though my BF% is higher than I'd like.

Three weeks ago, I went on vacation and while away I loosely tracked but did indulge in dessert just about every night. Still, I know that I didn't eat 3500 calories over maintenance, especially because I kept very active.

As expected, when I returned from vacation, my weight was up about 5lbs. I lost 2 of those lbs right away, but three weeks later and I'm still at the very top of my maintenance range. I've stayed at or slightly below maintenance cals (200 cal max deficit a few times a week, otherwise right around maintenance) since returning.

Shortly before going on vacation, I started to focus more on heavy lifting (in an attempt to recomp)so I don't know if that could be part of why those 3 extra lbs are sticking around?

My measurements haven't changed at all and I am very pleased with my results in the gym, but I'm still hung up on this damn number. It took me sooo long to lose the weight that I have an insane fear of gaining.

Since I'm looking to recomp do I just deal with the slight gain and assume it's not fat since my measurements aren't going up? Should I reduce cals to drop those few pouds? Is this a case of "patience, grasshopper?"

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Three weeks seems like plenty of time for things to equalize.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Dessert calories add up very fast. You could easily have a 3500 calorie surplus just with 3 desserts alone.

Personally, I'd go back to a small deficit, but I'm not comfortable staying at the top of my range... I'm always aiming for the bottom.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is definitely a gain. I would say after a week most things will have resolved from a vacation in terms of water weight or whatever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    if that is your average weight for the last three weeks...then that's what you way. water and waste issues generally resolve themselves within a week at most.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's a good question. It's a month since my 2 week cruise ended where I gained 3lbs, only 1 of those has gone, my deficit has been too small so it was true gain.
    Personally I'm not really willing to eat at a larger deficit to lose those as I'm still middle of my goal range but I should probably have done what @HappyCampr1 did and got rid of the gain quicker ... Maintenance continues to be a work in progress for me.

As other's have said usually you know after a week of returning to normal eating whether it's real gain or not.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've just returned from New York and pretty much ate what I wanted. I know I've ate possibly at least 3500 calories above maintainence but also know we did alot of walking. I got home yesterday at midday after an 11 hour journey and 2 flights home. I weighed knowing it was a stupid time to weigh and it said I was up 4lbs. I haven't weighed again since and tbh I'm not so concerned about the number, I just feel bloated at the moment. I'm hoping it passes soon, I have a bridesmaid dress to fit into a week tomorrow lol.