Any tips for still indulging just a little?

Options
Does anyone have any good tips for still staying within you calories but not depriving yourself either? I've heard of the 3 bite rule (only 3 bites of some yummy goodness). I feel like if I deprive myself that's when I start going off the deepend and just eating whatever the heck I want.

Replies

• farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fudgecicles! Only 40 calories but they completely satisfy my "after dinner" sweet need.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I let myself have some chocolate or candy or other desserts in moderation every day. If I didn't, I would not be able to keep from eating way too many once I start. That's been where mfp has helped me start losing weight. I was eating way too much candy so being on here helps me see how much is ok. It was very hard to stick to just a little every day at first, but I'm getting much better now that I've been on here for almost 2 months :smile:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Anything I put here I'm going to sound like a B.....
    LOL
    cut out the junk in my advise. It's what got most of us here in the first place.
    If you keep it to only special occasions great.
    If you can keep a chocolate bar and only eat a square - go for it.
    Most people cant.
    Three bites turns into 6 turns into the whole thing.
    Just sayin....
    Find new yummy things that are good for you to replace the old bad things that got you here in the first place....
    :flowerforyou:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I try not to deprive myself....if I did I would never stick with this. Its just that I have changed my habits enough so that what I want is no longer really bad for me. Anything is ok in moderation....I still have ice cream, I just get the low fat kind and eat a small bowl instead of a huge one....but if I REALLY wanted a huge one, I would have it and just make up for it later. Its a give and take and I don't feel like I'm cheating, but I dont feel cheated either.
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    I let myself have some chocolate or candy or other desserts in moderation every day. If I didn't, I would not be able to keep from eating way too many once I start. That's been where mfp has helped me start losing weight. I was eating way too much candy so being on here helps me see how much is ok. It was very hard to stick to just a little every day at first, but I'm getting much better now that I've been on here for almost 2 months :smile:

Dido. I can go without so I don't. I just use moderation :smile:
  • mseab71
    mseab71 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually eat what I want, when it comes to "yummy goodness." I just do not eat as much as I used to or I have 1 serving and keep it within the calories for 1 serving... I cannot deprive myself or I would go crazy :tongue:

Good Luck on your journey!!

Michelle
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If I stuck to the 3 bite rule, I'd find myself trying to use the biggest eating utensil available and balancing as much as possible in each mouthful. LOL.

I have chocolate every day, if I want it. I just buy the tiny 15g Green&Black's bars (so I fool myself into thinking I'm having a full bar). I don't have desserts often because they don't appeal to me, but if I wanted one I'd just have a small one and make room for it in my daily calories.

Hot chocolate is also a good, lower calorie substitute for something sweet if that's what you're going for.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A couple of ideas. First, I recently read that imagining eating something gives the brain the same pleasure as actually eating it. I don't know whether it would work for a serious craving or not, but it does seem to work for me when I'm hemming and hawing about whether to eat something. (Even if it's just all in my head, if it works, that's what counts)

Another trick I use is to look up the calories and go exercise to burn off those calories BEFORE I eat it. It motivates me to exercise, I don't feel guilty about the treat, and half the time the craving or desire is gone by the time I'm done exercising. [Waste all that exercise I just did by eating the candy bar? Not worth it!]

Third: get it out of your house! I have the advantage of 2 teenage boys. I eat one cookie, and they hoover up the rest of them. Great for controlling my eating! (not so great for their eating . . . but they're willing to "sacrifice" themselves for Mom. - that's true love!)

Keep at it!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    My husband gets me 60% cacao dark chocolate squares that are only about 40 cals. They help me feel less deprived. Since they aren't too sweet they don't seem to trigger that sugar have to have more thing. 1 or 2 is all I seem to need to satisfy my chocolate craving without all the other sugar and fat that comes with a chocolate bar etc. Only the good for you part of the chocolate and just enough of the sweet to feel satisfied. Oranges help too. Anyway when I do go for something I make sure it is quality like gelato and try to keep the amount down.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You can add extra exercise to make up for it. I like to do small portions, and very small bites, and chew them for a while. But I find that if I get the taste of what i'm craving, i don't need to binge on it. Can also substitute. Eg. If you want cake, try a slice of angel food cake or bar, with a small amount of 95% fat free cool whip and some sliced strawberries. I also used to add some cocoa to yogurt, and mix it all in. Then i'd have a strawberry chocolate yogurt, which was nice and chocolatey but wasn't a chocolate bar. It really depends on what your cravings are. Or if i'm DYING for a chocolate bar, I'll get a treat size, or go for something like a Three Musketeer's Truffle crisp- 2 bars, 160 cal total, and nice and chocolatey. (just discovered those, and am a little bit enamoured of them for out of control chocolate cravings)

But my advice isn't to deprive yourself. That's how I get into trouble too... I deny myself, then i can't take it any longer, and eat 3 or 5 times what I should, where if i'd just had a small bit, I would have been fine and moved on. And my philosophy is that you have to be able to live and enjoy your life!

Also lots of lo-cal recips online if you cook or bake.

Good luck!
  • Carrin817
    Carrin817 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I stuck to the 3 bite rule, I'd find myself trying to use the biggest eating utensil available and balancing as much as possible in each mouthful. LOL.

I have chocolate every day, if I want it. I just buy the tiny 15g Green&Black's bars (so I fool myself into thinking I'm having a full bar). I don't have desserts often because they don't appeal to me, but if I wanted one I'd just have a small one and make room for it in my daily calories.

Hot chocolate is also a good, lower calorie substitute for something sweet if that's what you're going for.

OMG so true! I'm imagining myself with a huge spatula shoveling it in! LOL