Quick oats vs. regular oat meal?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I tried to google the difference and it looks exactly the same. I don't have a fast computer so this took forever. Easier just to ask here.
There is no difference in quaker quick oats and quacker old fashioned? Not the fiber, protein, calories, anything, right? Just one takes longer than the other to cook, right?
don't say use steel cut. i don't have time for that.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think regular oat meal just takes longer to cook... I'm not really a big oat meal person at all so I don't actually know.

I think quick oats are fine.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Quick oats have a higher glycemic index, so will impact blood sugar more.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Regular oats have a more crunchy texture.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think the difference is the texture. That and cooking time for quick oats is a minute. I prefer steel cut oats because it's but I just hate cooking them for up to 30 minutes! Ain't got time for that. Well I do but I want to eat breakfast right away not 30 minutes later.
  • peggykirkby
    peggykirkby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is just that...processed, broken down, into 'meal', even if it's just a bit.

Old Fashioned Oats, whether steel cut or otherwise, retain more of the hull, or raw fibre, and is more effective at flushing the bad stuff from your system.

An added advantage is that the coarser grains (or raw vegs, even) tend to have a 'scouring' effect, if you will, to the intestinal walls.

Considering that a major part of nutrients are absorbed VIA the walls of the intestines, the "cleaner" they are, the more readily these nutrients can be utilized.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Quick oats are just rolled thinner so they cook faster, but they lack the texture of regular rolled oats. As a result, quick oats tend to be more mushy.

Regular rolled oats cook up in about 5 minutes versus 1 or so minutes for quick oats. What's a few minutes when the real thing tastes better? I usually undercook my oatmeal anyway because I like it a bit chewier. Muesli and granola are also often made with uncooked oats, so full cooking of oatmeal is definitely not a requirement.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, just a texture and coarseness thing. Eat the one you like. They came out with the quick cooking oats as my dad was growing up and one of his aunts never adapted. She'd put the oats to cook overnight and my dad said by morning it was glue. *shudder*.

Many years later on his own he came up with a creation that included nuts, raisins, and cinnamon. His new wives raved about it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    There's rolled oats at about 5 mins and quick oats at about 1 min. Difference between the two is that the quick oats are partially steamed (read partially cooked) while undergoing the rolling process.

I prefer the taste and texture of steel cut oatmeal. Has a slight nutty flavor and the texture is enjoyable.
    Shoot, I've been known to cook up some steel cut oatmeal, add a bit of salt and garlic, dice up a fried egg into it and add some browned sausage to it.
    It ain't just for breakfast folks.
  • eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know you said don't say steel cut oats .... But hear me out.

I put my steel cut oats in the slow cooker overnight. When I wake my breakfast is practically ready -- all I have to do is mix in whatever I want.

I put 3/4 cup steel cut oats in the slow cooker Add just over 3 cups water
    Cook on low for six hours

I split it with my husband. If he doesn't eat his I put it in the fridge. It reheats really well.

I have a container with flax, sesame, and sunflower seeds mixed together. I often substitue a little of the oats for the seeds in the slow cooker because I love that texture.

Just putting this out there because I'm even too lazy in the morning to cook oats. I love slow cooking the steel cut oats!