• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    arb037 wrote: »
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    Had RMR and bod pod done. First time being done and is good to know IMO.
    The rmr testing by itself was $55. The bodpod is $10/mo and can test once a month to check progress. For me the one time fee and monthly was worth it. It estimated me @11% faster than typical for age/height/weight.

And what do you do with that information?

You really don't understand data people do you LOL...numbers are power! Even if you only track them and look at them. They make really pretty charts and graphs....

But realistically, I use my RMR number to be OK with my current level of eating. I worry a little bit less about inaccuracies of my food logging because I have a 10% cushion over what the app is expecting. If it had come back 10% less than the norm, I would have adjusted my calorie targets downward.

This ^^.
    The RMR was out of curiosity and more of a confirmation. Dont see doing it again. The bodpod is to track progress monthly. What better way to measure LBM/ fat and how it relates to diet. You can look accurately at how the changes effect your efforts. Nutrient timing etc.
    not a dificult concept to understand, regardless if its something "you" would subscribe to.

Meanwhile tracking food+scale does the same thing, except more accurately.

No, it doesn't.

Like the previous poster said - you don't understand the data-driven mindset.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The rmr testing by itself was $55. The bodpod is $10/mo and can test once a month to check progress. For me the one time fee and monthly was worth it. It estimated me @11% faster than typical for age/height/weight.

You really don't understand data people do you LOL...numbers are power! Even if you only track them and look at them. They make really pretty charts and graphs....

But realistically, I use my RMR number to be OK with my current level of eating. I worry a little bit less about inaccuracies of my food logging because I have a 10% cushion over what the app is expecting. If it had come back 10% less than the norm, I would have adjusted my calorie targets downward.

This ^^.
    The RMR was out of curiosity and more of a confirmation. Dont see doing it again. The bodpod is to track progress monthly. What better way to measure LBM/ fat and how it relates to diet. You can look accurately at how the changes effect your efforts. Nutrient timing etc.
    not a dificult concept to understand, regardless if its something "you" would subscribe to.

No, it doesn't.

fair enough
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Some Garmin devices provide a VO2max estimate; mine does. The estimate is decently close to what the Cooper method estimates. Having a VO2max value in my head doesn't make a bit of difference to me or alter how I train or run.

I'd save your money and spend it on shoes. Or beer.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Some Garmin devices provide a VO2max estimate; mine does. The estimate is decently close to what the Cooper method estimates. Having a VO2max value in my head doesn't make a bit of difference to me or alter how I train or run.

I'd save your money and spend it on shoes. Or beer.

Fairly certain you just don't understand the data driven mindset
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    A little jealous of how much cheaper these tests seem to be in different areas of the country. $185 seems really expensive. I think I heard of someone mentioning bodpod or DEXA scan plus RMR testing for $30 on here once, while in my area DEXA scan is $40 (and I was surprised to find it available at all), while BodPod was an hour away and $100 a session.
    Ultimately, it is your money and you'll have to justify to yourself the value. It seems you can get rough approximations for a lot less (free for VO2Max).
    In the end, BMR isn't terribly variable across the human population. After life existing for ~4 billion years, and genus homo for 2 million the ability to perform metabolic functions in a substantially more efficient way just isn't out there - it would have been selected for already.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Fairly certain you just don't understand the data driven mindset

I'm an analyst. I understand what makes sense to dwell on.

I understand beer.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

Numbers are only power if you understand the full equation and variables. Knowing your bmr and/or rmr is a small portion of the puzzle.

You still dont know TEA, TEF, or NEAT. All of which make up TDEE, which you can get a rough daily estimate from 4 to 6 weeks of tracking. And I understand that understanding TDEE doesnt allow you to understand BMR, TEF, NEAT, and TEA, but the outcome of knowledge is greater.

I am not saying that its not beneficial to know BMR as you can get a more accurate starting point for the equation, but its not something to get caught up on or spend a lot of money on, IMO.
  • wombleval
    wombleval Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    chronic dieter here who had maintained a normal weight for 20years but at expense of eating 1200 calories max a day. Told myself this was all I needed to maintain as 5" , 104lbs and reckoned my rmr would be driven to the ground from under eating anyway. To my surprise, testing showed its a very high 1598 for my stats. Been increasing calories slowly upto 1800 without gaining a lb. Going to keep doing this until find im gaining.Withough rmr test id never have had the confidence to eat more, fuel my workouts etc. Im hoping to maintain at 2300 calories. Vo2max is meant to be a good indicator of longevity(bbc horizon documentary)
    -maybe that's why I havent had that test- afraid to know the truth???!!!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Vo2max is meant to be a good indicator of longevity(bbc horizon documentary)

Good ol' vigorous exercise is good for something, eh? :smiley:
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A lot of universities do vo2 max testing for cheap/free if their sports ed students can monitor it. Vo2 and lactic threshold testing were always interesting, but not necessarily benefical. The only time I ever saw anyone benefit from it was when we learned one guy on the team had a very low vo2 max, but an insane lactic threshold.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This ^^.

No, it doesn't.

fair enough

It's a question of having the data, not doing something useful with it.

A bit like collecting china figurines :)