Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    half12345 wrote: »
    I use 10 lb Dumbbells when I do deadlifts. I deadlift and then do a bicep curl as I approach a full standing upright position. I don't use the bar for squats. Start small. Remember the last few reps should be difficult but done with good form. Good luck,

This cannot possibly be good for your wrists or your back.

Technically at speed its' a dumbbell clean (technically)- that doesn't bother me. benching with an arch is bad for your back- still gonna do it.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Just go straight in with you one rep max, all guns blazing B)

hld7396j4tmb.jpg

blink blink

Just gotta say, that made me lol.

To OP, great advice from the others. Start with the bar for squats, bent over row, overhead press, bench, till you got the form down. Deadlift, either the bar propped, or small weights to give it some height. Just don't go too heavy to start.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I use 10 lb Dumbbells when I do deadlifts. I deadlift and then do a bicep curl as I approach a full standing upright position. I don't use the bar for squats. Start small. Remember the last few reps should be difficult but done with good form. Good luck,

Technically at speed its' a dumbbell clean (technically)- that doesn't bother me. benching with an arch is bad for your back- still gonna do it.

You should have seen the look on my physios face when she saw how much I arched for bench. Just asked her whether she would prefer to stabilize the amount of mobility I need for it or help me rehab shoulders. I'll take healthy shoulders with extra stabilization work for my spine.
  • FatStephanie15
    FatStephanie15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    airbent wrote: »
    If that's too heavy you could start with 65lb (two 10lb plates on each side)

I'm confused or dense. Or both. Two 10lb plates on each side + the bar would make your lift 85lb, right? Typo or am I counting my weights wrong?

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I mean, it's not an effective use of exercise time, not in the slightest, but why do you think it's bad for wrists or backs?
  • DavPul
    Options

I'm confused or dense. Or both. Two 10lb plates on each side + the bar would make your lift 85lb, right? Typo or am I counting my weights wrong?

Misspoke is all. You are correct
  • FatStephanie15
    FatStephanie15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Misspoke is all. You are correct

Thank you. I'm very new to lifting. Just wanted to make sure.

• Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi, weight novice here that has just started resistance training. I have been using the resistance machines at the gym but would like to progress to free weights.

Roughly how many kgs did you all start deadlifting as a beginner?

What about for squats with the bar?

I am a 70kg female and would consider myself reasonably fit. Thanks!

I started in January using a 10kg barbell to perform various squats & deadlifts. Now my 5RM is around 60kg for both! Find a weight that's comfortable and add around 2.5kg per week
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, weight novice here that has just started resistance training. I have been using the resistance machines at the gym but would like to progress to free weights.

Roughly how many kgs did you all start deadlifting as a beginner?

What about for squats with the bar?

I am a 70kg female and would consider myself reasonably fit. Thanks!

I started in January using a 10kg barbell to perform various squats & deadlifts. Now my 5RM is around 60kg for both! Find a weight that's comfortable and add around 2.5kg per week

That's it. I always say that women should workout like men if you want good results. 5kgs won't take you anywhere. You should force yourself during workouts. As you get to the rep 8 or 10, you should be fatigue.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    to get my form down (number one concern for squats) i started with just the bar (45lbs) on the smith machine to make sure i wasnt tipping forward or backward. i actually still use it when i want to go heavy. not as good as a traditional squat as you arent using as many supporting and accessory muscles but you can safely go much heavier.
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't start deadlifting until you have a good couple of months strength/core training under your belt. Start with dumbell exercises and let your support muscles develop. Then progress into deadlifts, cleans, squats, and whatever else under supervision for at least a few weeks to make sure the form is right. Back injuries are no joke.
  • LesbianBicycle
    LesbianBicycle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was previously 130lbs (59 kg) and I started off with 50 lbs for deadlift (22.6 kg) and then went up to 70lbs (31kg) As for squats, I did 30lb (13.6kg) dumbbells over each shoulder, but I started out lighter than that before progressing. Basically you're just gonna wanna choose a weight that feels a bit challenging, but doesn't ruin your form. I'm now 140lbs, and trying to reduce some muscle so my quads will fit in my jeans, so I don't do legs anymore..
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

The bar is 45 lbs.
  • DavPul
    Options
    aaroessler wrote: »
    Don't start deadlifting until you have a good couple of months strength/core training under your belt. Start with dumbell exercises and let your support muscles develop. Then progress into deadlifts, cleans, squats, and whatever else under supervision for at least a few weeks to make sure the form is right. Back injuries are no joke.

Nah
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I've never heard of this. I can't really understand why you'd A) deadlift 20lbs and B ) curl afterwards.

OP, I agree with DavPul's weight suggestions. I weighed a couple kgs more than you when I started and I recall starting around that weight, maybe a little heavier. Definitely focus on form! It also took me a while to be comfortable resting the bar behind me because my shoulder mobility sucked.

because supersets..??? lol

I agree with what Davpual is saying..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - i would suggest looking into a structured beginner lifting program like all pro beginner or strong lifts 5x 5…those will give you a good foundation of strength and introduce you to compound movements like squatting and DL'ing…

I would also suggest checking out some videos on form or also picking up a copy of starting strength...
  • JenWall2
    JenWall2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ahhh these comments make me lol I didn't read through all of them but you got good feedback from folks. I started weight lifting by using Stonglifts 5x5. I can't recommend it enough. Easy, very thorough explanations/videos, records everything you input so you track what you're doing and if you follow it you will gain strength. Make sure you eat enough though to support your body's need to lift heavier.
  • _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i started with 115lbs and eventually have now worked up to 250lbs for deadlifts.

for squats i started at 115lbs too and now do 180lbs.

make sure you get you form down before adding weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You should have seen the look on my physios face when she saw how much I arched for bench. Just asked her whether she would prefer to stabilize the amount of mobility I need for it or help me rehab shoulders. I'll take healthy shoulders with extra stabilization work for my spine.

heh- yeah- every time I explain how I lift to the PT I have (or was originally assigned) she gets really concerned and goes "everything you do sounds like it's painful or damaging"

she's cute. LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I started deadlifting with the bar raised off of the floor. I think I used those steppers for aerobics class to prop it up. Started squats with the bar as well. I remember when it felt uncomfortable and heavy, now it feels like a feather ha! Man I love lifting.