Protein

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
I keep going over my protein goal. Is this okay or something that I should avoid. A few people have said its absoloutley fine as its not stored the same way as carbs & fat and if I'm lifting weights a lot is can actually be beneficial and it's getting put to good use .. Anyone know if this is correct?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Overall calories is what matters for weight loss. You like the protein sources, eat the protein.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I'm trying to maintain my weight so I'm good hitting cals but I do go over some days with protein so wondered if it's okay. I've seen me eating like 180grams of protein when I only weigh 122lbs
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What are you eating too get that much protein
  • isthatpoisontoo
    isthatpoisontoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A dietician friend of mine once told me that eating too much protein causes changes in the blood, which creates problems. However, I don't think it's likely to have an effect in the short/medium term, more as a long term lifestyle choice. It certainly is needed to build muscle, so if your diet is working for you, I'd stick with it.
  • bangme33
    bangme33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Iam only eating 1200 -1400 cal aday with a decent mix of carbs protein fats all under my recommend amount plus exercise
    not lost anything as of yet, weigh in tomoz
  • Samm471
    Options
    What are you eating too get that much protein

Just a mix of things protein shakes, chicken , protein bars , egg whites etc but when I exercise the protein and carbs etc all bumps up. My protein goal is 126grams but the exercise bumps it up
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You are working on recomp? 95-120 should be enough for your goals. Are you getting enough energy to progress your lifts? If you are lacking energy you might want to up your carbs some.

If I eat too much protein I get a little gassy.
  • Samm471
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    You are working on recomp? 95-120 should be enough for your goals. Are you getting enough energy to progress your lifts? If you are lacking energy you might want to up your carbs some.

If I eat too much protein I get a little gassy.

I am doing a recomp yeah :) still trying to figure out my maintenance calories though just slowly upping them week by week. I will set my protein to 120grams tomorrow , I've done my diary for today so will start fresh tomoz .. I feel okay when lifting not tired or anything :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain the status quo, that energy is stored for later use as body fat...it has nothing to do with carbs, fat, or protein or hitting your macros bang on or anything like that...

weight management is about energy balance...nothing more, nothing less...do not complicate that which is not even remotely complicated.
  • Samm471
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain the status quo, that energy is stored for later use as body fat...it has nothing to do with carbs, fat, or protein or hitting your macros bang on or anything like that...

weight management is about energy balance...nothing more, nothing less...do not complicate that which is not even remotely complicated.

So what your saying is if I eat more protein than my body needs then it will store as fat?
  • Samm471
    Options
    Why do so many people get hung up on macros then if it has nothing to do with it
  • bioklutz
    Options
    More calories than your body needs = fat gains. Less calories than your body needs = fat loss (and some muscles loss).

Macros are important for your body to function. There is a lot of differing opinions on how much of what is needed. For the goal of recomp I would suggest 0.8-1 per pound of body weight. The rest can go into carbs and fat.
  • Samm471
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    More calories than your body needs = fat gains. Less calories than your body needs = fat loss (and some muscles loss).

Macros are important for your body to function. There is a lot of differing opinions on how much of what is needed. For the goal of recomp I would suggest 0.8-1 per pound of body weight. The rest can go into carbs and fat.

Awesome! Thank you I will get that sorted soon as possible. I always thought I took in too much .. Why does mfp put your carbs,fat,protein up when your exercising?
  • bioklutz
    Options
    When you add exercise calories it just splits the calories between protein, fat and carbs because these are set up as a percentage in MFP. Feel free to ignore it.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

So what your saying is if I eat more protein than my body needs then it will store as fat?

no...what i'm saying is that if you eat more energy (calories) than you need it will be stored as fat...whether it's protein, carbs, or dietary fat is completely irrelevant. weight management is predicated on calories in/calories out.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Why do so many people get hung up on macros then if it has nothing to do with it

they are important to nutrition....but people do get too hung up on them IMO...they're good to be generally aware of in RE to your nutrition and balancing your diet...they can also impact fitness performance and recovery...but all of that is separate from weight management...there's more to eating well and being healthy and fit than weight management...weight management is but a singular element of health and wellness.

trying to hit macros bang on is over the top IMO and completely unnecessary for anything.
  • Samm471
    Options

they are important to nutrition....but people do get too hung up on them IMO...they're good to be generally aware of in RE to your nutrition and balancing your diet...they can also impact fitness performance and recovery...but all of that is separate from weight management...there's more to eating well and being healthy and fit than weight management...weight management is but a singular element of health and wellness.

trying to hit macros bang on is over the top IMO and completely unnecessary for anything.

I always always get hung up on hitting macros to the pont it stresses me out! What do you think about maintaining. This is a whole new ball game for me so I was wondering if it really is possible to lose fat slowly while gaining muscle doing a recomp? I just don't want to be doing this over time for nothing if it won't work? I'm at 122lbs now I simply don't want to keep cutting to lose my fat I don't want to be skinny it's not the look I was aiming for & I'm already below my goal weight by 4lbs. Also what do you think about eating more cals on days of lifting and less on days of rest. I ask because you seem to know your stuff & your answers are helping me a lot. Thanks :)
  • Quercusia
    Quercusia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your body can only process the first 20g of protein in any meal so consuming more than this puts strain on the kidneys as you piss some of it straight back out. Personally I would only have either a protein shake OR a bar in any one day. I've been recomping since Christmas and my protein comes from real food like milk, eggs, fish, meat and nuts. I'll sometimes have a protein shake after a work out if I'm not hungry but need to consume something for my overall health.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Quercusia wrote: »
    Your body can only process the first 20g of protein in any meal so consuming more than this puts strain on the kidneys as you piss some of it straight back out

Nope, not true. Recent studies have debunked that over and over. Here is a list of some related studies:

1. Smeets AJ, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency. Br J Nutr. 2008 Jun;99(6):1316-21.
    2. Taylor MA, Garrow JS. Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimeter. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.
    3. Bellisle F, McDevitt R, Prentice AM. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.
    4. Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR. Frequency of feeding, weight reduction and energy metabolism. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993 Jan;17(1):31-6.
    5. Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR. Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):161-9.
    6. Bilsborough S, Mann N. A review of issues of dietary protein intake in humans. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Apr;16(2):129-52.
    7. Moore DR, et al. Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;89(1):161-8.
    8. Campbell B, et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Sep 26;4:8.
    9. Tipton KD, Wolfe RR. Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    10. Symons TB, et al. A moderate serving of high-quality protein maximally stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly subjects. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009 Sep;109(9):1582-6.
    11. Arnal MA, et al. Protein feeding pattern does not affect protein retention in young women. J Nutr. 2000 Jul;130(7):1700-4.
    12. Arnal MA, et al. Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Jun;69(6):1202-8.
    13. Soeters MR, et al. Intermittent fasting does not affect whole-body glucose, lipid, or protein metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Nov;90(5):1244-51.
    14. Stote KS, et al. A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Apr;85(4):981-8.
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna tell you this right now and I hope you listen. You and no one else need protein shakes. Drop them from your diet. Absolutely serious.