17 day diet

Options
I just got my copy of the 17 day diet today. I read someone on MFP tried it and I was looking for a change. Anyone else here tried it before? I'm not into fad diets but its nice when meals are mapped out for you.

Replies

• tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    LOST 26 pounds from it love ittttttttttttttt:happy:
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What does it consist of?
  • kgoulbourne
    Options
    This is day 4 for me and I have lost almost 8 lbs. It's really easy so far and you can check out this website for additional reciepes. You'll get bored if you don't mix it up! Good Luck! The 17 day website is also helpful if you have questions.

http://thedoctorstv.com/TheDoctorsBoard1/posts/10116-CYCLE-1-RECIPE-LINKS
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    HI TODAY IS MY DAY ONE :) so far so good :)
  • Jordan_Delp
    Options
    I'm in the middle of cycle 2 of the diet and I absolutely love it! The first cycle, I lost 10 pounds no problem. And the food is delicious that you get to eat. I think you'll like it :)
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    I lost about 15 lbs in 6 weeks. My friend lost 25 in 8 weeks. Its a good plan for me. It's not for everyone. A co-worker of mine tried & only lost about 4 lbs and she hated it. She couldn't follow it.

Good luck, I hope you like the 17 Day Diet.
  • ksmittens
    ksmittens Posts: 65
    Options
    bump for later

Im not really interested in trying this just yet..but the recipes look DELISH! Thanks for posting the link! I will be trying the Creamy Chicken ASAP!
  • ksmittens
    ksmittens Posts: 65
    Options
    btw ..for future reference where would I be able to find the diet to see what it consist of..does anyone have a link? thx
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating with this diet? And is this a book or is it available else where?
  • Tash_Bgosh
    Tash_Bgosh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chatal its a book i got it from amazon.

To everyone whose tried this, it just seems like a lot of fresh veggies and protein....
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    I've not read the book so I don't know at all, if it's about metabolic confusion do you have different calorie intakes? Like in zig zagging? And also clean eating?
    After a brief look online it doesn't really give much info. If someone could explain it I'd really appreciate it!
    Thanks
  • MrsNeuman
    MrsNeuman Posts: 76
    Options
    bump
  • yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Is this diet suitable for people with PCOD? Will they lose weight as told? What does the diet consist of? What type of exercise is to be followed along with it?
    Thanks.
  • rosebslim
    rosebslim Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK and looking for anyone who is doing this here as well as the US. Add me. as a friend if you would like to.

I bought the book yesterday and have started today, although not fully on it today as have a few food items to use up and still need to read exactly what the plan involves, but I have done my best so far today with breakfast and lunch and dinner will be fine. So C1 D2 tomorrow, which hopefully I should be able follow to the letter as much as possible until I go shopping and can get all the correct foods. I have much of what is needed, but just basics and would like a few other things to make it more interesting.

I am a Weight Watcher and have been for about 30 years, but have struggled of late and that is why I am on MFP as I thought calorie counting for a change might help. I have just discovered the 17 day diet and thought I would give a go and work it in conjunction with counting calories on here.

I had been considering trying Atkins again (tried it for 2 weeks a few years ago) but I must admit that I found the restriction on fruit a veg too much for me. At least the 17 day plan does allow them and I think for me it will be more workable.

Love to hear from like-minded folk.

Thanks, Rose :happy:
  • ashevack
    ashevack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My whole family is doing the 17 day diet (although I am not). I know in cycle 1 you have to cut out carbs. I know you can have two servings of fruit (not bananas or pineapple) but it has to be before 2pm. Also, they suggest eating pro-biotic yogurt twice a day.
    They are really hept on you drinking a glass of green tea after every meal as well. ( I am working on putting this in my own diet.)
    You do not count calories as the diet is very restrictive at first and then after the first 17 days, you get to start adding back complex carbs (brown rice, whole wheat). It is very focused on clean eating and lean protein and veggies.
    It seems to be working for my family. Collectively they have lost over 120 pounds.
  • stellanyc
    stellanyc Posts: 8
    Options
    I just finished the first 17 day cycle, and believe I lost about 11 pounds. (I try not to weigh myself during "that time of the month", but I just took my measurements and lost 5" off my waist and 3" off my hips - a definite, very noticeable change!!)

The diet consists of four 17-day cycles, each with different foods you can eat. The first cycle is fiber-rich fruits and veggies, "good fats" (i.e. olive and flaxseed oil), probiotics (like Activia and kefir) and LEAN protein (eggs/egg whites, turkey, chicken and fish). You derive your carbs in moderation only from fruits and veggies - no grains.

The second cycle, you add back in some "good carbs" like brown rice, quinoa, legumes, oatmeal as well as some lean cuts of red meat and pork. However, you only add these new foods in every other day - sticking to the previous foods on the alternate days. The idea is to "confuse" your metabolism and avoid plateaus - a theory I've never heard before, and one that experts who review the diet seem to believe is unproven.

The second two cycles are even less restrictive, but still focus on healthy choices made in moderation.

Another cornerstone of the diet is that you exercise every day - for a minimum of 17 minutes.

Overall, my experience so far with the diet has been good, and I know my weight loss will slow significantly now that I'm adding back some carbs. There is nothing particularly revolutionary about this diet plan, but for me, it's helpful to have specific guidelines so that I can plan healthy meals. The reason this diet appealed to me is that I truly want to get healthy, not just lose weight, and so diets that preach "eat all the fat you want and don't eat bread" don't appeal.

Good luck to everyone who's trying it with me!
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am on Cycle 1 Day 11 and have lost 2 pounds, however I am sure it is probably more however this way of eating has really had me "backed up" :(
  • NurseU2BeFit
    NurseU2BeFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm on 17DD C1 D4 R1 today. I haven't weighed in yet but I can tell I have lost some weight. My clothes are looser. I'm excited about this diet. I am incorporating Slim in 6 and walking as my exercise.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    starting 17 day diet today...C1D1....wish me luck! I'm hoping to have as good of results as some of you had!