Any other health professionals on here?

Options
Hello! I'm just starting to seriously use MFP. I first played around with it when I was even heavier than I am now but had a lot going on back then and found tracking everything to be daunting. I was in a transitional stage of my life--for the better--and decided to go back to school to become a registered dietitian. I love the field and have lost 50 pounds by making significant lifestyle changes, but I have about another 100 pounds to go! So, now I'm buckling down and getting a little more methodical, lol.

I do want to say as someone on the brink of entering the healthcare industry, I feel a tremendous amount of pressure to achieve a certain image or appearance. That is not at all what started my journey and thankfully I am centered enough to focus more on my true purpose for change (optimal health, empowerment, enjoying more activities, etc.). But I wonder if there are other healthcare workers on here that struggle with this same thing? Balance is hard, and while I've made great progress, you don't get to carry your story with you. People only judge what they see up front.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• alexzamora9883
    alexzamora9883 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I am in the medical field. If you can let me know how you lost the 50 lbs that would be awesome. I have about 100lbs to go.
  • ksugirl13
    ksugirl13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As a NICU nurse it doesn't seem to be as large of an issue and there is less pressure to lose weight, so I am able to focus on doing it for myself. When I worked in the adult ICU, though, I felt pressure for two reasons. One, I felt like a hypocrite when I would tell patients how they needed to make diet related changes for their health. Two, I saw the overweight patients that we would get and how some people we physically could not move with the usual two nurses and they would require 3-6 nurses depending on their size and diagnosis. I always felt bad for these patients, and never wanted to be there myself.
  • johanna0528
    johanna0528 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I mainly attribute it to going back to basics. I stopped drinking sodas and all sugary drinks altogether because we all know those things are slowly killing us and just aren't worth the calories! I did go a bit extreme my first year and even cut out alcohol. Alcohol really does a number on the liver and contributes to fat storage, and I needed to get real serious about focusing on healing my body.

Next, to eliminate more sugar, I eliminated a lot of processed foods. I controlled what ingredients went in my food. I'm really big on the "slow food" movement because it literally changed my life. I buy mostly grass-fed/ non-commercial animal products, and I follow the dirty dozen list and buy those fruits and vegetables most exposed to pesticides organic. Overall, my vegetable intake increased dramatically, and I incorporated a variety of grains--mixed it up. I also ate more healthy fats, like nuts, seeds, avocados, and olive and coconut oils (both cold pressed, unrefined).

Finally, it made all the difference in the world to leave a job that made me miserable and kept me sedentary, chained to a desk 9 hours a day. To go from that to my life now, is like night and day. I'm not exactly running marathons, but the "me" two years ago wouldn't be able to keep up with me today.
  • johanna0528
    Options
    ksugirl13 wrote: »
    As a NICU nurse it doesn't seem to be as large of an issue and there is less pressure to lose weight, so I am able to focus on doing it for myself. When I worked in the adult ICU, though, I felt pressure for two reasons. One, I felt like a hypocrite when I would tell patients how they needed to make diet related changes for their health. Two, I saw the overweight patients that we would get and how some people we physically could not move with the usual two nurses and they would require 3-6 nurses depending on their size and diagnosis. I always felt bad for these patients, and never wanted to be there myself.

Yeah, it sounds like you get it. Hard to counsel someone when you have flaws to work through, too, right?! That's why I'd like to at least get comfortable enough in my own skin to be able to talk about my journey.
    You nurses have it pretty rough, though! Where I work, RNs always work 12-hour shifts. What kind of goals do you have on here?
  • play2014
    play2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to this page tonight! I have been a Cardiology RN fir 40 years! I definitely felt the pressure up not just talk the talk, but walk the walk. I did ok till I was 55 and got lupus alongside asthma, and spent the majority of the last 5 years on steroids. Needless to say I gained 50 pounds, too sick to work, and quit 8 months ago. Feeling much better, but so far I have only lost 17pounds. I finally realized I hadistly managed my weight by activity. Now inactive, so I'm just learning to loose weight by 95% diet. The BEST thing I ever did for weight loss was get a dog! She's 15 now, but we walked everyday for 14 years. Some days 15 min other days 1 hour. Dogs are ready to go whenever you are. Your personal journey will be an asset to your career. Since you are young, there are sooo many weight loss places needing a dietitian. What state do you live in, city or rural? Kim
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm a second-year nursing student (graduating in may!) and currently work as a CNA. I went from being extremely active to doing nothing but work, classwork, and more classwork. I just started using this app again to help track my journey to my former self; I didn't want to be the RN preaching about healthy eating and active lifestyles when not living that way myself.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    Nurse here. Most healthcare pros work so many hours that finding time to eat right and workout seems impossible
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer also studying to be a wellness coach. In this field, especially personal training, people look for a role model, but they don't necessarily want to achieve the same results. However, my priority is maintaining a healthy lifestyle, which is the most important thing.

For me that means a healthy weight as well as eating habits, sleeping and self care. If I didn't have a grounding in that I wouldn't be effective.
  • johanna0528
    Options
    play2014 wrote: »
    I am brand new to this page tonight! I have been a Cardiology RN fir 40 years! I definitely felt the pressure up not just talk the talk, but walk the walk. I did ok till I was 55 and got lupus alongside asthma, and spent the majority of the last 5 years on steroids. Needless to say I gained 50 pounds, too sick to work, and quit 8 months ago. Feeling much better, but so far I have only lost 17pounds. I finally realized I hadistly managed my weight by activity. Now inactive, so I'm just learning to loose weight by 95% diet. The BEST thing I ever did for weight loss was get a dog! She's 15 now, but we walked everyday for 14 years. Some days 15 min other days 1 hour. Dogs are ready to go whenever you are. Your personal journey will be an asset to your career. Since you are young, there are sooo many weight loss places needing a dietitian. What state do you live in, city or rural? Kim

I'm in a rural part of Florida. I have a dog, too, and she does love to move! :) I enjoy going to the beach with her or going on hikes, but we don't always have time for that and just keep it simple. I recently made myself give yoga a try and fell in love. I pace myself, but in the few classes I've taken I already see/feel progress, and it's encouraging!

So sorry to hear about your troubles. Steroids are awful, but when you need them, you need them. Hope things are under better control for you now!

Sending you a friend request.
  • johanna0528
    Options
    MissResa wrote: »
    I'm a second-year nursing student (graduating in may!) and currently work as a CNA. I went from being extremely active to doing nothing but work, classwork, and more classwork. I just started using this app again to help track my journey to my former self; I didn't want to be the RN preaching about healthy eating and active lifestyles when not living that way myself.

I graduate in May, too! :) But then I'm hoping to go on for my Masters. But good for you on being proactive! That's why I got on here, too. I let myself slip a bit this summer. I only put on about 7 pounds, but I can't afford to backslide when I've come so far! Only forward, for this girl!!
  • johanna0528
    Options
    strozman wrote: »
    Nurse here. Most healthcare pros work so many hours that finding time to eat right and workout seems impossible

Yes, indeed! Though judging by your picture, it looks like this is not a challenge for you! :) Good job on getting it done!
  • johanna0528
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer also studying to be a wellness coach. In this field, especially personal training, people look for a role model, but they don't necessarily want to achieve the same results. However, my priority is maintaining a healthy lifestyle, which is the most important thing.

For me that means a healthy weight as well as eating habits, sleeping and self care. If I didn't have a grounding in that I wouldn't be effective.

I could learn a lot from you. As I gain confidence in food and nutrition, what I lack for my own benefit is the exercise physiology knowledge. I know how to use the machines at the gym, but I still don't know what's the best combination. You hear so many different things, just like in nutrition!
  • 59newGIRL19
    59newGIRL19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Johanna0528--Your advice is so helpful! I am a pediatrician for 27 years. I have struggled with weight issues on and off my whole life. I have to lose about 100# and feel that if I can get a handle on my weight, I can help kids with their weight struggles. I have seen a sharp upswing in the last 10 years of kids who are 100# or more overweight and would like to give them better advice. Currently, they have to think--"What a hypocrite! She's way fatter than me!" It also doesn't help that I put myself last in almost all instances and then "reward" myself with sugary/buttery sweets. Your advice about cleaning up your personal diet is great, but my patients are mostly on food stamps and living on processed foods. Also, they have to eat what their moms get at the grocery store. Any advice on a first step for those kids? I go over the 5-2-1-0 plan that the government came up with and I think it's pretty simple, but I feel it goes in one ear and out the other.
  • CyndiLou2015
    CyndiLou2015 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've worked in LTAC for many years. RN, but have moved into Admin. now. I just can't pick up 300 to 600 lb ppl anymore.
    LTAC's provided care for the chronically critically ill. Most of them are ill due to their morbid obesity. I see the results of obesity daily ~ Vents, chronic Trach's, HD, uncontrolled DM, BKA, AKA, CVA. These are my motivators.
    I'm really looking forward to learning how to manage my body/mind in all aspects for a healthy outcome. I look forward to getting to know some of you!
  • johanna0528
    Options
    Johanna0528--Your advice is so helpful! I am a pediatrician for 27 years. I have struggled with weight issues on and off my whole life. I have to lose about 100# and feel that if I can get a handle on my weight, I can help kids with their weight struggles. I have seen a sharp upswing in the last 10 years of kids who are 100# or more overweight and would like to give them better advice. Currently, they have to think--"What a hypocrite! She's way fatter than me!" It also doesn't help that I put myself last in almost all instances and then "reward" myself with sugary/buttery sweets. Your advice about cleaning up your personal diet is great, but my patients are mostly on food stamps and living on processed foods. Also, they have to eat what their moms get at the grocery store. Any advice on a first step for those kids? I go over the 5-2-1-0 plan that the government came up with and I think it's pretty simple, but I feel it goes in one ear and out the other.

I wish I was experienced--and qualified--enough to offer you some sound advice, pearlygirl135, but I still have a couple years to go! But food insecurity is one of those things that really frustrates me. I did have to work on a thrifty menu project last semester to feed a hypothetical scenario (mine was a single father with two kids) living below the poverty line, and while it was extremely difficult to feed them all balanced meals, it could be done. But they were definitely not going to have access to organic foods, and they had to turn to canned or frozen options for vegetables because they were cheaper. Access is a huge problem for these families when you look at where the supermarkets are actually positioned: they're typically not as prevalent in lower-income neighborhoods, so they're buying fast food meals or snacks at gas stations!

As for advice, I always start with farmers markets. Next, if you can find an RD to collaborate with who does grocery store tours, those are invaluable for many families! Perhaps you can find one in your area that works in community nutrition and knows of some education available to the public. Nutrition education is huge right now, especially with all the misinformation on the internet!
  • johanna0528
    Options
    I've worked in LTAC for many years. RN, but have moved into Admin. now. I just can't pick up 300 to 600 lb ppl anymore.
    LTAC's provided care for the chronically critically ill. Most of them are ill due to their morbid obesity. I see the results of obesity daily ~ Vents, chronic Trach's, HD, uncontrolled DM, BKA, AKA, CVA. These are my motivators.
    I'm really looking forward to learning how to manage my body/mind in all aspects for a healthy outcome. I look forward to getting to know some of you!

I know a few RDs who worked in LTAC, and it's not easy to see that everyday. A friend of mine who is now retired said that's what did her in; it just beat everything out of her, seeing what people can do to themselves, whatever the cause.

I like what you said about body/mind approach: I love to meditate and can feel myself "off" when I go too long without practice. I recently tried a yoga class at my university's wellness center, and I love it! It's a lot more than calorie counting. Wellness certainly encompasses the entire person, inside and out!