My body likes to lose weight the wrong way!

Options
Gotta love it when your body only responds to calorie deficits when you make them too hard to ignore. This is not motivational for doing things the right way.

Got stuck for 4 days. Changed lunch 350 cals with diner 700 cals. BAM . . pound lost. I was trying to prevent midnight binging with the 700 cals.

Got stuck for 3 days. Had almond milk and protein powder for dinner last night. BAM . . . pound lost.

So now what? Do I drink coffee for dinner now? Eliminate it completely? That's what my body is telling me.

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. As long as your tracking accurately (meaning: get a food scale), you'll lose the weight. It just may not be consistent. Its normal to maybe see less or none one week and then another week you lose more than normal.

Weight loss is about the trends you see over weeks not the day to day. Especially because of water weight.

Time of day you eat does not matter, calories in calories out is all that matters.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Your body is really not telling you what you think it is. Weight loss does nto happen at a steady rate. You are just observing normal weight fluctuations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i think it's quite possible that you're making a spurious correlation here...none of what you just said matter one bit....and no, you are not a special snowflake.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It's completely normal to experience days/weeks where you don't lose. 3/4 days of not losing is nothing of concern ("not losing" can be from a lot of things during that short time span, like water weight, food still digesting, or not going number 2 for a while). As long as you meet your calorie goal (if your MFP goal is to lose weight) and are logging accurately, then you'll lose weight.

If you're really concerned about daily fluctuations or not seeing a loss in 3-4 days, I would highly recommend not weighing on a daily basis and instead weigh once every 1-2 weeks.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i think it's quite possible that you're making a spurious correlation here...none of what you just said matter one bit....and no, you are not a special snowflake.

What he said
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    This.

There's going to be days, weeks and maybe even months you lose nothing at all or "gain", and then "whoosh" you drop the weight. That's why people say it's not linear. You don't just lose consistently in a straight line. It's up and down and all around.

Your body doesn't really care about midnight binges or lack thereof. It only cares about the energy (calories) it gets. Whenever that happens is completely up to you.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

This. And also 3-4 days is not getting stuck. Your body is not telling you to eliminate dinner. You're observing normal weight fluctuations.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10242970/not-really-new-off-and-on-here-for-a-bit-22-days-straight-though

This is you as well right? You do seem to think that your body is going to work differently to everyone else's. It won't. You need to be patient. Stop changing your strategy every few days and thinking that you've 'solved it'.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Yesterday, I went to my daughter's college for orientation. Today, the scale is down! Clearly, visiting institutions of higher learning cause me to lose weight!

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear. It's completely normal to experience days/weeks where you don't lose. 3/4 days of not losing is nothing of concern ("not losing" can be from a lot of things during that short time span, like water weight, food still digesting, or not going number 2 for a while). As long as you meet your calorie goal (if your MFP goal is to lose weight) and are logging accurately, then you'll lose weight.

If you're really concerned about daily fluctuations or not seeing a loss in 3-4 days, I would highly recommend not weighing on a daily basis and instead weigh once every 1-2 weeks.

That's what I was thinking. OP said they ate a 700 cal dinner to avoid midnight binges. Let's pretend dinner (the last time they eat at night in this case) is around 6-7PM, vs. normally eating a snack around 12AM...there's simply more time for food to be eliminated between the time they last ate and when they weigh in the morning.

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. OP said they ate a 700 cal dinner to avoid midnight binges. Let's pretend dinner (the last time they eat at night in this case) is around 6-7PM, vs. normally eating a snack around 12AM...there's simply more time for food to be eliminated between the time they last ate and when they weigh in the morning.

Not to mention water retention if the meal was high sodium. If you drink water throughout the rest of the evening then you have flushed out some of the salt and less retained water.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    shadowconn wrote: »
    Gotta love it when your body only responds to calorie deficits when you make them too hard to ignore. This is not motivational for doing things the right way.

Got stuck for 4 days. Changed lunch 350 cals with diner 700 cals. BAM . . pound lost. I was trying to prevent midnight binging with the 700 cals.

Got stuck for 3 days. Had almond milk and protein powder for dinner last night. BAM . . . pound lost.

So now what? Do I drink coffee for dinner now? Eliminate it completely? That's what my body is telling me.

All of that is coincidental. :) Food type, changing calories around, and meal timing have nothing to do with weight loss. It's calories in/calories out, and how you choose to meet that calorie deficit is 100% preference.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This !
    It comes down to calories in - calories out. Your reaching out on a limb here
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    shadowconn wrote: »

No. No, it isn't. That's your attempt to find a pattern where one doesn't exist.

• zoeysasha37
    Options
    Yesterday I ate ice cream cake ( within my calorie goals ) and today the scale went down !!! I've got it !! Ice cream = weight loss!!!

In all seriousness though, it comes down to calories in - calories out .
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10242970/not-really-new-off-and-on-here-for-a-bit-22-days-straight-though

This is you as well right? You do seem to think that your body is going to work differently to everyone else's. It won't. You need to be patient. Stop changing your strategy every few days and thinking that you've 'solved it'.
    Yikes.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Yesterday I ate ice cream cake ( within my calorie goals ) and today the scale went down !!! I've got it !! Ice cream = weight loss!!!

<sigh>

For me it was popcorn with lots of salt. It's the salt that made me lose weight. :D
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    More of a coincidence than a physiological tell
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

<sigh>

For me it was popcorn with lost of salt. :D quote

Popcorn is alright but the real key to weight loss is ice cream cake. I eat ice cream cake - I lose weight . :wink: it has to be mysterious pattern that my special snowflake body likes because every time I stay within my calorie goals, I lose weight !! It's miraculous! :)